PDA

View Full Version : OT Point & Shoot cameras, and Canon S110 lens error

NHAero
08-01-2014, 04:02 PM
My Panasonic DMC FX01 has died after 8 years RIP. Looking at many options, the Canon S110 looks like an awesome camera with what I need - wide angle and fast lens, small size, and powerful flash for a small camera - for taking photos inside of buildings for work (so not arty, often in basements and attics). Reviews include many who love this camera, and some who say Canon Powershots fail from "lens error" and they wouldn't touch one.
Experience?
Other good alternatives? Panasonic LF1 is good, but 28mm vs 24mm lens is a compromise.
Thanks!

ceolwulf
08-01-2014, 04:10 PM
For indoor use I would be tempted by something with a bit larger sensor, Sony RX100 for example.

rnhood
08-01-2014, 04:14 PM
I have both the RX100 and the S110. Both are good cameras, with the Canon being ever so smaller and lighter weight, and the Sony producing the better Raw files. Either should satisfy your needs but if the marginally larger and more expensive RX100 does not fall outside your budget, then its definitely the better camera.

deechee
08-01-2014, 04:57 PM
ditto. Have the Canon S90, fantastic camera, if anything is blurry, its usually my own fault for setting it to manual or with whatever override. I picked it up while traveling in Japan years ago; I ended up using it way more than my SLR and was very happy with it. That said, my friend's Sony RX100 is incredible. I'd buy the RX100-3 in a heartbeat if I were actually using my camera...

p nut
08-01-2014, 05:14 PM
I had a Canon PS S3 years ago. It was an awesome camera and although a little bulky, I loved it. After 2 years of use, I got the "lens error." Still sitting in the basement for some reason. Don't want to spend any money to fix it, as I have a DSLR now. I've also got a very small P&S Canon that's still working well after 6 years.

NHAero
08-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I should clarify, I'm not a skilled photographer and I certainly don't need RAW files. I'm often documenting existing conditions in buildings so appreciate wide angle and ability for low light function, and good flash function. So for instance a Canon Elph might be a good choice, such as a 110HS.

Steve in SLO
08-01-2014, 06:45 PM
I have an S90 and recently picked up an S110. I've used them extensively for traveling and just dinking around. They take great photos, both JPEG and RAW. The S110 is pretty good in low light, and as has been said, the 24mm wide-angle is a plus as well (although there is a bit of curvature at the edges).
I am very happy with them and they are pretty cheap for what you get.

thwart
08-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Have an S100, had the dreaded lens error 2+ years into my ownership. Canon fixed it for free anyway.

Great camera. Can do simple stuff, or manual mode/RAW depending on your needs.

malcolm
08-02-2014, 08:49 AM
I've had an Olympus TG for several years now and I really like it. Very fast lens so it's good in low light, it's also water proof so you don't have to carry it in a baggie. Only down side for me is it's a little bigger than the casio it replaced, but still fits in a jersey pocket or camelback.

NHAero
08-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Opted for the S110.

Pete Mckeon
08-03-2014, 06:43 AM
Accurate for seeing what meets your needs. Also DP REVIEW.com IS A WONDERFUL SOURCE. . Over the years Ken Rockwell site has helped me the most in selecting and learning, Bob in Raleigh turned me on over 5 years ago

Try it and see if it helps:help:

Pete

bcroslin
08-03-2014, 07:06 AM
I own an S90 that I've had for years with no lens errors. It's a great little camera. With that said, I recommend the Sony's to most people. The RX100 is a killer camera.