PDA

View Full Version : Shimano 9 spd shifters with 10 spd cassette?

Jeff Weir
03-01-2006, 08:35 AM
Is it possible to use shimano 9 speed sti shifters with a shimano 10 speed cassette? I've currently got an all shimano 9 speed drivetrian and would like to use a 10 speed cassette, if it will work properly.

Has anybody tried this before?

Jeff

sg8357
03-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Bike shop guy tried a similar experiment by accident,
8 speed cassette and 9 speed brifters, sort of worked, would
miss down shifts, would shift up most of the time.

Down tube or bar-cons you could switch to friction and it would
work.

Scott G.

dbrk
03-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Is it possible to use shimano 9 speed sti shifters with a shimano 10 speed cassette? I've currently got an all shimano 9 speed drivetrian and would like to use a 10 speed cassette, if it will work properly.

Jeff

I'm persistent in trying to get things to work. I love to defeat the so-called proprietary stuff and am a refusenik in regard to "you lose performance" when you really don't...BUT in this case, it's pretty much a no-go. If someone knows a trick to make this work, please tell me.

Not to be rude but I told the Shimano guy at the booth that his view that any other chainrings but Shimano on a Shimano crank "defeat" (his precise word) the "quality of shifting" was "nonsense" (my precise word). But what do I know? I've only done this about ten million times.

dbrk

Kevan
03-01-2006, 09:29 AM
you'll do just fine.

Ken Lehner
03-01-2006, 09:34 AM

Jeff

If I understand it correctly, the shifter detents determine the distance the rear derailleur moves on each shift. 9spd and 10spd cassettes have slightly different spacing, the 10spd being narrower. Thus, a 9spd STI shifter will not smoothly work across all gears using a 10spd cassette. It may work for some gears if you adjust it to be centered at one gear, but the further you get from that gear, the worse it'll be.

My understanding is that 8spd and 9spd cassettes have the same spacing, so the shifters work for either. Don't forget to set the inner and outer limit screws correctly!

dauwhe
03-01-2006, 10:06 AM
The JTEK Shiftmate seems to be the solution for most mix-and-match situations; not sure about Shimano 9 with Shimano 10, though.

I have one on a bike with Campy 9sp ergo shifters, and Shimano XT 9sp derailler and cassette. Works great!

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/shiftmate.asp

loctite
03-01-2006, 10:26 AM
That system, she dunna worka so good....

Jeff Weir
03-01-2006, 10:48 AM
The jtek Shiftmate looks like it can do what I am looking for. I'll be giving that a try.
Many thanks for the replys,
Jeff

stevep
03-01-2006, 03:08 PM
works like shi&**(). dont do it
however...any chainring will work w/ 10 spd
i use an old suntour superbe pso w/ da-10. shifts perfectly.

shumanmo
03-01-2006, 04:42 PM
I did it for much of last summer. In my case, it shifted two gears right around the middle gears – something like directly from 4th to 6th or 5th to 7th. Other than that, it worked fine. Exactly where you get the double shift probably depends upon your exact setup and tuning. But you'll probably see something along those lines.

dirtdigger88
03-01-2006, 05:13 PM
now you can make your ALL 10 speed system shift 9 -

but thats not what you are asking

so no- it wont work

sorry

Jason