PDA

View Full Version : OT: Support blog for the unhappy rich

fiamme red
08-01-2014, 10:03 AM
https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/wri/4588849195.html

$30 for each post about the unhappiness that wealth brings. :)

The focus of the community is providing psychological support for the problems money brings -- family tensions, unfulfillable expectations, boredom, etc."Help me -- I've been going crazy the last few days deciding whether to get a Storck Fascenario 0.6 or Pinarello Dogma F8. Also, should I equip it with Campagnolo Super Record EPS 11 or Shimano Dura-Ace 9070 Di2?" :p

joosttx
08-01-2014, 10:06 AM
https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/wri/4588849195.html

$30 for each post about the unhappiness that wealth brings. :)

"Help me -- I've been going crazy the last few days deciding whether to get a Storck Fascenario 0.6 or Pinarello Dogma F8. Also, should I equip it with Campagnolo Super Record EPS 11 or Shimano Dura-Ace 9070 Di2?" :p

mo' money, mo' problems

palincss
08-01-2014, 10:24 AM
No problem at all: get both. How hard is that?

fiamme red
08-01-2014, 10:29 AM
No problem at all: get both. How hard is that?Of course. Why didn't I think of that? Maybe it's not so bad being filthy rich after all. :)

dogdriver
08-01-2014, 10:59 AM
A favorite quote from a buddy of mine:

"America-- where your checkbook is your graduation certificate."

Things money can't buy:

Good physical condition, musical or other mental/physical coordination skills, skiing (or any other technical skill that takes practice and conditioning) well, time with family and friends, the list goes on. All of these take time and dedication-- two things that its hard to write a check for.

These folks have a lot in the "look what I have" and "look what people do for me" departments, but lack in the "look what I can do" area, hence their frustration when some dirtbag blows their doors off skiing, or riding a bike, or playing a guitar, or juggling chainsaws, etc.

JMOICBR, Chris

nooneline
08-01-2014, 11:17 AM
A comparison of the happiness levels of lottery winners versus accident victims (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/690806).

Study 1 compared a sample of 22 major lottery winners with 22 controls and also with a group of 29 paralyzed accident victims who had been interviewed previously. As predicted, lottery winners were not happier than controls and took significantly less pleasure from a series of mundane events. Study 2 indicated that these effects were not due to preexisting differences between people who buy or do not buy lottery tickets or between interviews that made or did not make the lottery salient

bikinchris
08-01-2014, 11:30 AM
No problem at all: get both. How hard is that?

No, get 4. One of each frame with Campy and another with Dura Ace.

jmoore
08-01-2014, 12:50 PM
For a blog about rich people, they are certainly cheaping out only paying $30/post.

torquer
08-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Three ways to get rich:
1. Steal
2. Win the birth-canal lottery
3. Under-pay the help (sort of the same as #1)

Ahneida Ride
08-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Three ways to get rich:
1. Steal

start a private central bank, or practice "fractional" reserve.
Then you get to create $ outa thin air and collect interest on it too.

rallizes
08-01-2014, 02:04 PM
start a private central bank, or practice "fractional" reserve.
Then you get to create $ outa thin air and collect interest on it too.

I'm curious if you are concerned posts like these may lead potential customers elsewhere?

Or perhaps you don't mind if they shop elsewhere?

Or perhaps you believe these posts help attract business?

Again, just wonderin'.

tiretrax
08-01-2014, 02:14 PM
I'm curious if you are concerned posts like these may lead potential customers elsewhere?

Or perhaps you don't mind if they shop elsewhere?

Or perhaps you believe these posts help attract business?

Again, just wonderin'.

Probably no better than being a bonehead flaming other forum members.

jlwdm
08-01-2014, 07:11 PM
Three ways to get rich:
1. Steal

Or work hard. There are endless ways to make money.

Jeff

paredown
08-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Or work hard. There are endless ways to make money.

Jeff

Oh--isn't hard work its own reward?:banana:

I always liked what someone said about George Bush (Jr)--"Born on third base, but he likes to think he hit a home run."--it applies to a lot of folks who are lucky to be born to the right family at the right time and who fail to recognize that they are simply the product of the accidents of birth and geography.

I've known happy and productive people who are well off, as well as some who were miserable and died young; also poor people with a similar range of experience and attitude.

What I do find insufferable though is the assumption in America that if I don't have money, I must be a failure--like that is the only true marker of success. Success is having a loving family, good friends, a happy attitude, a desire for self improvement, a genuine curiosity about the world and a recognition of the spiritual side of life.

Somebody posted this Stanley Kunitz poem and I am reading and rereading it--I love how it finishes:
http://createsend.com/t/y-1A7BFAC100986379?fb_action_ids=10203309204504865&fb_action_types=og.likes
I am not done with my changes.

Louis
08-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Hey, I deserve 100% of everything I have, whether I got it from my parents (my upbringing and $ for my education) or from the company I work for (which sells stuff bought with your tax dollars).

It's all those other losers and free-loaders who don't deserve a thing.

Fishbike
08-01-2014, 11:26 PM
What I do find insufferable though is the assumption in America that if I don't have money, I must be a failure--like that is the only true marker of success. Success is having a loving family, good friends, a happy attitude, a desire for self improvement, a genuine curiosity about the world and a recognition of the spiritual side of life.
url]

Yup. Well said. Similarly insufferable is the asumption that people or businesses with money are immoral or just lucky.

torquer
08-02-2014, 07:48 AM
My apologies for all the suffering my post may have caused.
(Can we add an icon for tongue-in-cheek?)
My list wasn't exclusive, just the three ways that first came to mind.

oldpotatoe
08-02-2014, 07:54 AM
Lotsa Money may not buy happiness....but I'd like to try it...

need the lotsa money part first...

Mr. Pink
08-04-2014, 08:38 AM
http://www.newyorker.com/science/maria-konnikova/bad-good-choices

fiamme red
08-04-2014, 09:23 AM
A recent study found that the unhappiest city in America is New York City. The happiest? Lafayette, LA. Which shows that wealth and happiness are definitely not correlated.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/capitolreport/2014/07/18/new-york-city-is-the-most-unhappy-city-in-america/

Allons à Lafayette!

Fiertetimestwo
08-04-2014, 07:22 PM
I think it was David Lee Roth, that pinnacle of modern philosophical reflection, who said it best;

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a big enough boat to sail right up beside it".

Louis
08-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Always look on the bright side of life... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo)

And yet more on this topic:

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/07/31/1407535111

Abstract

The subjective well-being or happiness of individuals is an important metric for societies. Although happiness is influenced by life circumstances and population demographics such as wealth, we know little about how the cumulative influence of daily life events are aggregated into subjective feelings. Using computational modeling, we show that emotional reactivity in the form of momentary happiness in response to outcomes of a probabilistic reward task is explained not by current task earnings, but by the combined influence of recent reward expectations and prediction errors arising from those expectations. The robustness of this account was evident in a large-scale replication involving 18,420 participants. Using functional MRI, we show that the very same influences account for task-dependent striatal activity in a manner akin to the influences underpinning changes in happiness.