PDA

View Full Version : The Birth of a UNISCASI Steel frame

Smiley
03-01-2006, 07:04 AM
Its been a week now since the paperwork has been put through the system , my credit card has been charged and my first new STEEL frame since my old Motobecane is in the works. I should have some miles on it by Nottrott weekend 2006 . I am really excited to be creating a Custom Road Light Touring frame built for century riding . I wanted to share for those not in the know about what a Build Sheet Serotta provides so you can look and learn. Oh for the record the sizing was done using :
Deda 215 Anatomic Shallow Drop bars ( 8 cm reach and 13.5 cm drop )
Brooks Swallow Saddle with off-set seat post
172 mm cranks ( BB to tip of toe 272 mm )
New Ultegra 10 speed Hoods

It was my decision to build around a 11 cm stem at 90 degree's ( I'll be using a SALSA SUL cro-mo stem ) , 3 cm of spacers and a stack height of 1.77 for a Chris King Head set . You'll note my standover at a LEVEL TT is 83.32 cm just like all my other bikes .

I am guessing I'll have this bike in 3 more weeks or there abouts . Thanks Kelly and Steve Fairchild .

dbrk
03-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Smiley,
What kind of clearance does the F3 fork give you? Tire preference?

Congrats!
dbrk

Argos
03-01-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm sorry, there must have been a 'typo' on your build sheet. It said the bike was a 68x68?!?!!?

Tiny

Serotta PETE
03-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Smiley, I have about 500 miles on mine and am really enjoying it. It will be getting packed this weekend for my trip to SOLVANG next week. (Sent SPOKES bike out Fed Ex yesterday). WE will have a packing party for mine this weekend.

You will enjoy the Ultegra 10, I have it and my friend from NJ (Bob ZELLER) put it on his S&S Serotta he picked up about a week ago.

Looking forward to DC trip.... and Flydhest wine cellar and also his jazz library.

Will have to keep M3 away from the Dr.

Sandy
03-01-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm sorry, there must have been a 'typo' on your build sheet. It said the bike was a 68x68?!?!!?

Tiny

58.5x58 on the build sheet.

Sandy

Len J
03-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Smiley:

I'm curious about the 3 CM of spacers. couldn't you and Serotta come up with a better solution?.....what is your cycling inseam?.....

I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just trying to understand your thought process as a fitter yourself. I've always tried to shoot for no more than 1.5Cm of spacers through a combination of standover, mildly sloping TT, HT extension and 84% stem.......& I keep my bars up pretty high. So what did you consider/reject & why.

Thanks in advance.

len

Sandy
03-01-2006, 11:03 AM
I can't speak for Smiley, but I think there might be a simple explanation of the 3 cm of spacers. Smiley likes to fit a bike, not just for today, but for the future. People age, have physical changes and restrictions, and evolve as cyclists. The additional spacers allow him to go up or down as he decides as time passes. He can of course, decide to cut the fork and eliminate some spacers if he wants.

I also think that he likes ample standover clearance and little slope.

I have flipped my stem and changed my spacers several times.

Sandy

72gmc
03-01-2006, 11:12 AM
That's exciting, Smiley. If numbers can add up to a picture, it looks like a great all-around road bike. I especially like the ADD A PUMP PEG!! note.

dbrk
03-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Two things to consider, after a good look at the numbers. First, if you put a rack and bags on the rear your heel _will_ knacker the back or you will have to use a trunk style carrier. Also, with fenders you'll be left with what size tire? This may be a century bike but "light tourer"? Hmmm.

Just a few questions, no harm, no foul!!

dbrk

Smiley
03-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Smiley:

I'm curious about the 3 CM of spacers. couldn't you and Serotta come up with a better solution?.....what is your cycling inseam?.....

I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just trying to understand your thought process as a fitter yourself. I've always tried to shoot for no more than 1.5Cm of spacers through a combination of standover, mildly sloping TT, HT extension and 84% stem.......& I keep my bars up pretty high. So what did you consider/reject & why.

Thanks in advance.

len
3 cm is my MAX spacer count , I probably will go down 1 cm but I can always stay where I am too. I absoultely did not want a sloper and I could have sloped the TT and leveled the stem BUT WHY since my Hors has a Heads up extender for a total of 3.2 cm head tube extension and 2.2 cm of spacers below and 0.5 cm above, and I am using a +6 degree rise stem. Like Sandy sez's this bike is being built NOT for where I am today but for fit and purpose 10-15 years down the road.

To dbrk , Medium panniers will work and the F3 fork according to someone else on a previous thread said they installed Rolly Polly's on the F3 . The rear will take a wider tire , with a fender probably as big as a 25 mm true. I plan to run Michelen Pro's at 25 mm front and back anyway .

This draft highlights why we all have differences in tastes and looks for our bikes. As an engineer to me it has to WORK for my body and rding style. Due to the fact that I do wear RX glasses I need to keep my head up higher to see through the proper side of my lenses. So yes my frame must put me in a tad higher position now and accomodate where I am in the future too.

Len J
03-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Makes sense to me.....what is your cycling inseam?

Len

Smiley
03-01-2006, 02:13 PM
A follow up note , My Kogswell fixee which I used to shape this design as much as my Hors is : 58 ST , 57.9 TT , 72 STA , 74 HTA , 44 mm rake , 2.7 cm Head Tube extension above TT with 3.5 cm of spacers with a 95 degree rise stem at 12 cm . Note I use a BioMAx II handle bar ( 7.5 cm reach ) and campy type ergo levers ( read: they are short and ride higher on the bends ).
This bike looks just swell to my eye.

OK the answer to the question is Top of saddle to axel spindle is 95 cm and my real stand over height in cycling shores is about 84.5 cm ( I need air under my privates ) hence the actual standover is 83.3 with defaulted 23 mm wide tires and if I go with anything taller it starts to take up vertical space :)

Len J
03-01-2006, 02:53 PM
A follow up note , My Kogswell fixee which I used to shape this design as much as my Hors is : 58 ST , 57.9 TT , 72 STA , 74 HTA , 44 mm rake , 2.7 cm Head Tube extension above TT with 3.5 cm of spacers with a 95 degree rise stem at 12 cm . Note I use a BioMAx II handle bar ( 7.5 cm reach ) and campy type ergo levers ( read: they are short and ride higher on the bends ).
This bike looks just swell to my eye.

OK the answer to the question is Top of saddle to axel spindle is 95 cm and my real stand over height in cycling shores is about 84.5 cm ( I need air under my privates ) hence the actual standover is 83.3 with defaulted 23 mm wide tires and if I go with anything taller it starts to take up vertical space :)

I'm about the same height as you, but have an 88 CM Cycling inseam in bare feet.....therefor I can raise the TT higher , keep the bars up and reduce the spacers.....I was trying to visualize what your limiter was.

Thanks

Len

Smiley
03-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Long legs Len , I am the opposite , plus my hands are smallish and I have a longer body , my jackets tend to run on the Long side .