PDA

View Full Version : Boa lacing system has ruined me...

dpk501
07-31-2014, 05:06 PM
Besides laces and plain velcro (on my prolight slx II) the boa might be the most comfortable system ever.

When I switch to ratchet buckle shoes, I can feel it digging in. Annoying.

Anyone have the same experiences? What mechanism do you all prefer?

dave thompson
07-31-2014, 05:35 PM
Not BOA. I like the individual adjustability of buckles, ratchets and straps.

tele
07-31-2014, 05:42 PM
I thought my Lake shoes with BOA was the cat's meow, I bought 3 pairs of shoes when they were on closeout. However, I really dig my Specialized mtb shoes with straps/ratchet as well. I have even used the mtb shoes on the road for 100k with no problems so its totally YMMV.

Now for my kids knuckle dragging boots, BOA is a must have!

Louis
07-31-2014, 05:48 PM
I'm sure BOA's super-comfy for some guys, but I've found that my Sidis are good enough for me. I have one pair of Genius 3 (mesh) and one pair of Genius 4 (Lorica) and between them they see just about 99.9999% of my miles.

Foot pain / discomfort has been a non-issue for me for years, and I figure if it ain't broke there's no sense in trying to fix it.

donevwil
07-31-2014, 06:07 PM
So single BOA or dual ?

I have two pair of Lakes with single BOA. Went for a closeout pair of single-BOA MX331 instead of my first choice dual-BOA MX237. The single works just OK early on, but gets much better as the shoe takes on the shape of the foot. Now, a few months later, feels like it was made for my foot although I imagine the shoe itself has more to do with that than the fastening system.

My favorite is still my old Carnac Legends with laces under Velcro.

malcolm
07-31-2014, 06:23 PM
I'm currently using specialized with dual BOA. I like them but would rather have just velcro or ratchets. The BOAs get sticky and hard to open after a while. I'm using mtn shoes and seldom clean them as a disclaimer.

thegunner
07-31-2014, 06:31 PM
hate the boa's, had spec'd s-works with the dual boa and i've sworn off the system. going back to my ratchet velcros.

shovelhd
07-31-2014, 06:33 PM
Specialized dual BOA. Can't imagine switching.

thinpin
07-31-2014, 06:47 PM
Had boa in wading boots. Bad idea. Ingress of dirt sand would be bad, it can happen to cycling shoes.

Anarchist
07-31-2014, 07:06 PM
Been using Lake BOA shoes for years.

Most comfortable shoes I've ever worn and the BOA system just molds to the foot.

donevwil
07-31-2014, 07:12 PM
Been using Lake BOA shoes for years.

Most comfortable shoes I've ever worn and the BOA system just molds to the foot.

Prior to buying my Lakes I did quite a bit of research and the consensus was that Lake did a much better job placing the BOA system the other manufacturers yielded better, more consistent fit.

regularguy412
07-31-2014, 08:28 PM
Specialized dual BOA. Can't imagine switching.

+1

Mike in AR:beer:

LJohnny
07-31-2014, 08:38 PM
Sidi wire work great for me. Albeit it is also that they have more room compared to the Ergo that I had before. Love them.

thunderworks
07-31-2014, 10:09 PM
I use Specialized 74's with dual BOA. I like how they fit, but have continual trouble with the wire laces loosening up. I probably have to tighten each dial every 10 minutes or so. Anyone else have this problem?

dave thompson
07-31-2014, 10:17 PM
I use Specialized 74's with dual BOA. I like how they fit, but have continual trouble with the wire laces loosening up. I probably have to tighten each dial every 10 minutes or so. Anyone else have this problem?

The ratchet on the dial wears after a while and can be replaced. A good Specialized dealer will have the kit with the necessary parts and can replace the dial(s) for you. Not expensive.

sw3759
07-31-2014, 10:34 PM
i'll stick with straps and buckles thank you.i like the look,i think the boa shoes are hideous to look at but lots of folks must love em'.
the only boa type shoe i had was the original model sidi had in 90's.dont recall the name of it.had a ratchet type spool and some fishing line kind of thing that was never comfortable and was fairly ugly too.
been with shimano or bont shoes since i kicked the sidi habit in 93' or so mainly they didnt provide enough support and had too much flex imo

gasman
07-31-2014, 10:54 PM
Specialized and Sidi BOA systems have always pressed on my high arch too much. Velcro and ratchets for me.

Steve in SLO
07-31-2014, 11:11 PM
i'll stick with straps and buckles thank you.i like the look,i think the boa shoes are hideous to look at but lots of folks must love em'.
the only boa type shoe i had was the original model sidi had in 90's.dont recall the name of it.had a ratchet type spool and some fishing line kind of thing that was never comfortable and was fairly ugly too.

That be the Sidi Techno. I still have a pair of those as my backup mountain bike shoes that I cannot kill. They are that wonderful late 80s aqua color. I have always liked them, and also like the new Ergo's with the similar ratchet system.

sw3759
08-01-2014, 01:17 AM
yep you are correct Steve..i think they only came in that one color.i was nice shade of grey and teal.i remember Ugrumov was the first pro i saw using them and didnt know they made a mountain version either,it thats what your saying.either way glad they worked out for you.who knows,i probably still have them stashed away somewhere in a shoe box

Walter
08-01-2014, 08:24 AM
I do not notice any comfort difference with my BOAs vs. my lace, Velcro or ratchet. shoes The selling point on BOA for me is that my feet tend to get crampy or fall asleep. I can just lean down, open the BOA a few clicks, restore feeling, and then tighten them back down, all while still riding, far easier than with the other shoes.

weiwentg
08-01-2014, 10:07 AM
The ratchet on the dial wears after a while and can be replaced. A good Specialized dealer will have the kit with the necessary parts and can replace the dial(s) for you. Not expensive.

And that is my problem with the boa system. My sidi buckles didn't wear out after 3-4 years, although the shoes also didn't quite fit me.

dpk501
08-01-2014, 02:37 PM
And that is my problem with the boa system. My sidi buckles didn't wear out after 3-4 years, although the shoes also didn't quite fit me.

yep I've had to replace boas but they're cheap..

https://www4.boatechnology.com/home.php?cat=332

KidWok
08-01-2014, 02:56 PM
I like the boas on my Lakes...they're great until they break. Then my tightening system of choice is a $5 roll of duct tape at a local convenience store. I had the shoes for many years before the cable broke and thankfully had a bit of cable in my parts stash from a dial kit they sent me before. Replacing the cable was quick and easy.

Tai

Climb01742
08-01-2014, 03:06 PM

Is it hard or easy to do this replacement? One boa dial on my s-works is beginning to fail (not grab) and was starting to think about replacing. Thanks for any insight or guidance!;)

thegunner
08-01-2014, 03:50 PM

they're actually free...

https://www4.boatechnology.com/warranty

they're supposedly good for life.

slidey
08-01-2014, 03:59 PM
That's what she said! :p
Not BOA. I like the individual adjustability of buckles, ratchets and straps.

But on-topic - I've only ever used a single BOA Spec shoe, and its working really well for me thus far (~3+ years) w 0 adjustments.

67-59
08-01-2014, 04:29 PM
i'm sure boa's super-comfy for some guys, but i've found that my sidis are good enough for me. I have one pair of genius 3 (mesh) and one pair of genius 4 (lorica) and between them they see just about 99.9999% of my miles.

Foot pain / discomfort has been a non-issue for me for years, and i figure if it ain't broke there's no sense in trying to fix it.

+1

Tandem Rider
08-01-2014, 06:29 PM
I have 2 pairs with boa, Mrs. TR has one.

Lake winters, no problems other than replacing a couple of mechanisms, and I ride in a lot of muck in the winter (not to mention rivers and all the other stuff they go through).

Specialized S-Works, I've replaced all the boas by now after 3 years. They don't fit perfect, but they are the best rain shoes ever (might be why I had to replace the boas).

First boa took me about 20 minutes to replace, now it's quick, I even take spares to races in my emergency kit.

Mrs. TR has never had any issues with her S-Works boas and she races in the rain in them too.

weiwentg
08-02-2014, 07:33 AM
Is it hard or easy to do this replacement? One boa dial on my s-works is beginning to fail (not grab) and was starting to think about replacing. Thanks for any insight or guidance!;)

I've done it, and it isn't hard. And, as others have observed, you can get the replacements for free from Boa.

The question is why are so many Boa laces wearing out? Sidi's racheting straps don't wear out.

It is an annoyance. I do otherwise like my S-works shoes.

shovelhd
08-02-2014, 08:04 AM
My rain shoes have one Boa, my race shoes have two. Two is better than one but one works fine. Replacement is really easy. The new dials have metal tangs whereas the older dials had plastic.

ultratoad
08-02-2014, 09:59 AM
I've had all of the gizmos, bells, whistles and boas.... They all work fine....
Just picked up a set of Giro Empire LE's in Sepia.... The most comfortable shoes I have ever had.... Laces, who'd have thought....

Highgear
08-02-2014, 10:09 AM
I have the Lakes with the Boa system. It is a nice system, but I think the best system of all time was the Sidi Techno. Easy to adjust at the base of a climb. It gave my feet a firmer hold.

EA120711
08-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Used Specialized S-Works for years , but since switched to the giro empires and haven't looked back .

azrider
08-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Another +1 for BOA and Lake for that matter. This is my first pair of Lakes and I'm big fan

buldogge
08-03-2014, 01:09 PM
I'm a Boa fan already…I normally ride S-Works…and I picked up a pair of Lake CX330s on the cheap this AM, so we'll see how they ride.

I like that they seem roomy…more like older S-Works…not sure how planted they'll feel thru the mid-foot though…especially with the single Boa at the rear.

-Mark in St. Louis