PDA

View Full Version : Campy EPS - DIY?

ariw
07-31-2014, 10:38 AM
Looking at EPS for a new bike build, have always done all of my own wrenching, used to work in a shop, etc... Is there anything that difficult about setting EPS up? I know that battery mounting is variable depending upon the frame, but this doesn't seem like a project to shy away from.

Any guides or tips from experience that you can share?

TIA
-Ari

FlashUNC
07-31-2014, 10:42 AM
Not hard at all. Toughest part for me was getting all the cables routed and secured. Getting it adjusted and dialed in was stupidly easy.

oldpotatoe
07-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Looking at EPS for a new bike build, have always done all of my own wrenching, used to work in a shop, etc... Is there anything that difficult about setting EPS up? I know that battery mounting is variable depending upon the frame, but this doesn't seem like a project to shy away from.

Any guides or tips from experience that you can share?

TIA
-Ari

It's really easy, stringing the cables is the most difficult part. Make sure the plugs are lined up, don't want to bend a pin(big arrows). Setup/ tuning easy too. The only gotcha I've seen twice is the rear der partially 'disconnected', a feature, pull outboard on the body to make it isn't.

primov8
07-31-2014, 05:46 PM
Not hard at all. Toughest part for me was getting all the cables routed and secured. Getting it adjusted and dialed in was stupidly easy.

+1...

I guess it also depends on the frameset. When I installed EPS on my Ridley, it was much easier and quicker to do than installing it on the De Rosa. My brother's S5 on the other hand was somewhat a PITA since I had to remove the fork in order to guide the cable with my fingers towards the top tube; at the same time, while trying to keep the EPS cable from tangling with the metal cable guides inside the S5.

Dialing the EPS system could not be any easier.

SoCalSteve
07-31-2014, 07:18 PM
I find it really funny that bike stores charge more to do a build with electronic. Its sooo much easier and quicker than mechanical.

Vamoots58
07-31-2014, 10:16 PM
up the SR on my Moots. I did pay to get the threaded rod to install the internal battery and the cable magnet kit. The installation was super easy (take your time) and the zero-ing in of the drivetrain was quite straightforward. Give it a whirl. Campy has some great video instructions, I found them super helpful!!

oldpotatoe
08-01-2014, 06:50 AM
I find it really funny that bike stores charge more to do a build with electronic. Its sooo much easier and quicker than mechanical.

Well, first, altho not hard, a shop that knows it's beans ought to do it.
Second, stringing the wires is very time consuming, particularly with V2 internal battery(tools for this aren't free). I've seen some carbon frames, even tho made for electronic, FULL of scrap and crap that made stringing very time consuming(plus more than a few holes too small, Colnago C-59).
Third, with steel frames, cannot use the magnetic wire stringing thing from Campagnolo=more time.

So, I don't think it's 'funny' when some 'hack' tries to do this, goons it up, and pulls a connector off the wire trying to get the wire out(happened locally)..

Altho internal mechanical is a royal PITA(and dum, IMHO), wiring is sometimes challenging, particularly when compared to tuning the thing, which is about 10 minutes.

Vamoots58
08-01-2014, 07:50 AM
on my C59 very straightforward. The tools are not free, but I spent $150 max on guides and the battery rods. LBS would have looked for at least $200 to install, and now I can do anything I need to replace/repair. I like doing the work and I like having the proper tools.

oldpotatoe
08-01-2014, 07:58 AM
on my C59 very straightforward. The tools are not free, but I spent $150 max on guides and the battery rods. LBS would have looked for at least $200 to install, and now I can do anything I need to replace/repair. I like doing the work and I like having the proper tools.

Vecchio's did a 'pro' build, w/o building wheels, for $200. $50 less if stuff/group bought from Vecchio's, add $50 for electronic. Free build if whole. bike, frame/group, bought at Vecchio's.

I think later Colnago, for electronic, made the holes bigger. I saw 3 with small holes, called Colnago, USA, they blamed Campagnolo for making the connectors to big(gotta phone there Ernesto?).

bobswire
08-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Vecchio's did a 'pro' build, w/o building wheels, for $200. $50 less if stuff/group bought from Vecchio's, add $50 for electronic. Free build if whole. bike, frame/group, bought at Vecchio's.

I think I'd like to practice doing it so I'll only charge $100 for a semi kinda pro build, I'll use the best gaffers tape to secure battery and 14 gauge electrical wire (not that little dinky wire that comes with the group), in that way you won't have to worry about it being threaded into your frame with holes drilled all over it. I'll just gaffer tape it on since it is encased in its own housing, comes in basic white colorway but I can rattle can spray it just about any color. :banana:

http://i58.tinypic.com/r8ija1.jpg