PDA

View Full Version : Della Santa's workshop: A visit to a frame building temple

FlashUNC
07-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Or, how I learned to stop worrying and listen to Roland's great stories.

So I'm on Day 8 of this journey cross-country, so forgive a rambling and probably nonsensical post. Last night, after a 10 hour haul, we arrived in Reno, staying the night in the Tahoe area before finishing up our last bit of drive into Berkeley at the end of the week. An oasis after long patches of deserted Kansas, Colorado, Utah and Nevada nothingness, the Tahoe/Reno region would be a nice change of pace from the hours of emptiness across much of this great land.

And it was a shabby excuse to crash Roland's workshop, say hi and hear some more great stories. I called ahead on the trip to make sure we weren't imposing, and Roland was more than accommodating. (Minor aside, I've been a shameless Roland fan for awhile, and finally went in on a frame from him last year. I'm still lying awake at night hoping it made the journey in one piece and I won't have to see him again in a few weeks with a busted frame. I digress...)

The locale:
Roland's shop is situated in a quiet Reno neighborhood, out back from his house. It's everything a great workspace should be. Somewhat in chaos, but clearly a system for where everything is and should be, at least by his reckoning. Frames were in process on the jig, tubes elsewhere. Its a location straight out of central casting.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5558/14790439232_1f8135e4d2_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5582/14767795166_46c138465e_b.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3903/14767793896_91f71601a7_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3900/14604151918_bd7e7fa90d_b.jpg

The man:
We planned on staying just to say hi and get a tour and a quick photo or two. Roland mentioned he usually likes to start the workday early and knock off around 3 pm or so, before the Reno heat really kicks in. So we arrived just before lunch. Roland had another customer in with an Eistentraut-built Masi that Roland had just finished restoring and repairing with nearly period correct parts -- the clincher rims instead of tubulars were a sticking point.

We ended up staying nearly two hours while Roland shared stories from the LeMond heyday, business these days, how he got into it and the racing scene in Reno. Even a couple stories about life in the industry. We left with a promise that next time we dropped by, he'd show off his jersey collection including "some world champion ones I've got just sitting in a closet somewhere."

Roland, showing off his own bike:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2924/14604148278_7623c53b2c_o.jpg

The first fork Roland ever produced. The frame is lost to the sands of time:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5578/14604148228_ea26c42bd2_o.jpg

Roland, second from the right in a La Vie Claire team photo from their US racing days:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2921/14604083550_b3ce156ef5_b.jpg

The jig for his Ossobucco chain stays:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3839/14787656061_b30a059a45_b.jpg

weaponsgrade
07-31-2014, 12:14 AM
Thanks for posting. I visited Roland a few yrs ago when I got my DS. Like you said he's got some great stories and loves to talk. Two of my other friends ended up with DSs as well.

eippo1
07-31-2014, 07:15 AM
Sweet. I love these threads. So cool to see the inner sanctum of the masters.

8aaron8
07-31-2014, 09:02 AM
Love the PeeWee picture hidden there. Very cool photos, would love to take a tour of his shop. Thanks for posting.

54ny77
07-31-2014, 09:03 AM
Flash thanks for that. I've been wanting to get up there at some point, this helps fill the gap.

tiretrax
07-31-2014, 09:06 AM
Very cool.

Fishbike
07-31-2014, 09:47 AM
"Santa's workshop." HA! Indeed!

Tony Edwards
07-31-2014, 09:57 AM
Thanks for sharing these. Really neat to see the workshop of such a proven master. Years ago there was a Della Santa on the 'Bay in just my size, with full Record, that I didn't buy because I simply didn't need it. I have often regretted not making room for it in my stable . . .

rzthomas
07-31-2014, 10:04 AM
I loved living in Reno. It's such a cool city and the riding is perfect.

What was cooler was seeing a good number of Della Santas out and about.

Buy local, they do.

Tony Edwards
07-31-2014, 10:09 AM
I loved living in Reno. It's such a cool city and the riding is perfect.

What was cooler was seeing a good number of Della Santas out and about.

Buy local, they do.

I spent a summer in Reno when I was in grad school. My colleague and I would work all day, then drive to Northstar at Tahoe and mountain bike in the evenings. It was a blast. Culturally Reno is a little lacking, but the climate is very nice and the proximity to Tahoe (which is among the most beautiful places I've ever been) was awesome. Never had a road bike there, and I have no doubt I was missing out as a result.

rzthomas
07-31-2014, 10:20 AM
The city has started hitting above its weight as far as culture lately. The Nevada Museum of Art is a pretty amazing institution that pulls in shows (and curates its own) that are rather remarkable. UNR was getting its act together on art and theater around the time I left, too.

Music was always a little weak.

I usually ended up driving over to SF/Berkeley when I needed big culture.

Tony Edwards
07-31-2014, 10:31 AM
The city has started hitting above its weight as far as culture lately. The Nevada Museum of Art is a pretty amazing institution that pulls in shows (and curates its own) that are rather remarkable. UNR was getting its act together on art and theater around the time I left, too.

Music was always a little weak.

I usually ended up driving over to SF/Berkeley when I needed big culture.

Glad things are looking up. I lived there in 1997, so obviously it's been a while.

Gsinill
07-31-2014, 11:22 AM
Pretty brave from the man to pin a flag like this on the wall of a business in the US of A ;)

nicrump
07-31-2014, 11:38 AM
Pretty brave from the man to pin a flag like this on the wall of a business in the US of A ;)

Do you understand the origins of that particular flag? It is a direct ascendant to the current Italian Democratic Party (PD).

It really isn't a problem for most.

alessandro
07-31-2014, 11:45 AM

Do you understand the origins of that particular flag? It is a direct descendant of the current Italian Democratic Party.

It's a poster.

jtakeda
07-31-2014, 11:46 AM
That osobucco chainstay jig is really cool.
Thanks for sharing pics.

Gsinill
07-31-2014, 11:47 AM
I didn't say it is a problem for me.
Democratic Party of the Left (Partito Democratico della Sinistra) to be precise.

Do you understand the origins of that particular flag? It is a direct ascendant to the current Italian Democratic Party.

bfd
07-31-2014, 11:48 AM
It's a poster.

Also, it looks like he has a picture of Obama next to it! So what's the problem? :)

nicrump
07-31-2014, 11:50 AM
I didn't say it is a problem for me.
Democratic Party of the Left (Partito Democratico della Sinistra) to be precise.

as of about 18 years ago, its just PD.

nicrump
07-31-2014, 11:52 AM
probably neither one of us are correct on the current state. the only thing more complicated than Italian wine is Italian political parties.

as of about 18 years ago, its just PD.

echelon_john
07-31-2014, 01:37 PM
I shot a man in Reno—just to watch him die.

cekte
07-31-2014, 01:41 PM
Very cool. Thank you for sharing the photos and write up! A very neat look into a master craftsman's workshop.

cnighbor1
07-31-2014, 04:00 PM
go to classified to see listing I posted in wrong place

Drmojo
07-31-2014, 06:17 PM
I was lucky to be invited to his house/workshop
for a small party
Pizzas, PBR (for RDS)
And lots of bike chat.
Wonderful guy
Great stories and wisdom
Reminded me a little of Sheldon Brown
Earthy, funny---ICONS of cycling

rwsaunders
08-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks for posting, Joe. It's cool to see where Roland's ideas become reality and the detail work on his frames is just awesome.

buldogge
08-02-2014, 10:44 AM
I take it, coming from you (assumed), as not a problem…

For me, it makes me like DS even more!…I immediately thought…"Glad you posted that photo, Joe…very nice!"

-Mark in St. Louis

FlashUNC
08-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Happy to do it. Roland really wouldn't let us leave. Just great story after great story.

Mentioned he's got some sets of Campy dropouts left. Was incredibly tempting to order another frame right there.

echelon_john
08-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Love love love mine. Best value in a U.S. handmade frameset IMO. Pleasure to work with, no attitude, and as many bona fides as anyone building today.

I want to get him to build me a CX bike.

downtube
08-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Great post, thanks for sharing all those photos. I have to say I love my Della Santa. It is an awesome bike to ride whether you are on flats, rollers, climbing or descending and always amazes me how smooth it makes any road.

oldpotatoe
08-03-2014, 07:38 AM

Great shop of a frame master..

but Soviet Union, different and in some ways, a more simple time, almost 25 years ago..my name tag when in the US Navy..1991/2

tiretrax
08-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Great shop of a frame master..

but Soviet Union, different and in some ways, a more simple time, almost 25 years ago..my name tag when in the US Navy..1991/2

I really don't care about his politics. I imagine Dario's are way out to the left, no?

Pete, was the Soviet pin put there for irony? Especially, if you faced a ruskie in the sky? There are several wealthy men in Dallas that bought statues of Lenin and other communist leaders for their gardens - not because they admired them, but for the irony of their place at the home of a capitalist.

oldpotatoe
08-03-2014, 08:37 AM
I really don't care about his politics. I imagine Dario's are way out to the left, no?

Pete, was the Soviet pin put there for irony? Especially, if you faced a ruskie in the sky? There are several wealthy men in Dallas that bought statues of Lenin and other communist leaders for their gardens - not because they admired them, but for the irony of their place at the home of a capitalist.

I was CO of an adversary squadron and until the Soviet Union went away, we flew against the fleet as Soviets, their tactics, formations, etc. Red stars on our A/C, etc. Google VF-126, Pacific Fleet Adversary Squadron.

Having the reference to the Soviet Union in Roland's shop means something else besides something sinister, was my point.

tiretrax
08-03-2014, 10:48 AM
I was CO of an adversary squadron and until the Soviet Union went away, we flew against the fleet as Soviets, their tactics, formations, etc. Red stars on our A/C, etc. Google VF-126, Pacific Fleet Adversary Squadron.

Having the reference to the Soviet Union in Roland's shop means something else besides something sinister, was my point.

Agreed on the last point, but even if he's in agreement with those politics, that's his right regardless of whether one agrees.

Looked up that squadron. Must have been quite a ride and a great honor.

sante pollastri
08-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Well!
A comunist compagno on the other side of the ocean!
:banana:

skijoring
08-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Love love love mine. Best value in a U.S. handmade frameset IMO. Pleasure to work with, no attitude, and as many bona fides as anyone building today.

I want to get him to build me a CX bike.

Do you think he'd be willing to use vertical dropouts and
maybe max out clearances for a short reach or mid reach brake?
Or do you believe those changes are too radical for him?

oldpotatoe
08-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Well!
A communist Campagnolo on the other side of the ocean!
:banana:

Fify

sante pollastri
08-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Fify

what?
I've googled,but nothing:(

sante pollastri
08-03-2014, 12:54 PM
It's time to order a red ossobuco,what insane chainstays!

Peter B
08-03-2014, 12:55 PM
what?
I've googled,but nothing:(

fixed it for you

sante pollastri
08-03-2014, 01:02 PM
fixed it for you

ha,yes,now I see,thank you.

nicrump
08-03-2014, 02:09 PM

the greater point is it(the poster on his wall) has nothing to do with the Soviet Union.

echelon_john
08-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Can't say on vert dropouts, but he was happy to max out brake each for me. I can fit 28s easily, and just squeeze a 30 Eroica in there.

Do you think he'd be willing to use vertical dropouts and
maybe max out clearances for a short reach or mid reach brake?
Or do you believe those changes are too radical for him?

skijoring
08-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Can't say on vert dropouts, but he was happy to max out brake each for me. I can fit 28s easily, and just squeeze a 30 Eroica in there.

Cool, thanks John. I have become allergic to horizontal dropouts.
I'll get in touch with him someday. :)