PDA

View Full Version : what 's the deal with steel ?

Fixed
02-28-2006, 07:51 PM
bro i got my new caad 7 it fits great and it's a stiff mofo modern race bike and it rides great too.
rode my work bike on a group ride after work today and it felt like a coiled spring ready to be unleashed at my command I enjoyed the ride . so what is the deal with steel or am I just weird? it's n.o.s. col.sl lugged
they are both cool the caad 7 is my race bike and it's great but so is the old steel bike. I didn't think I would still like my steel bike as much after i got my new bike .cheers :beer:

Smiley
02-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Like they say , ITS REAL :)

Big Dan
02-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Bro imho it's alive................. :eek:

e-RICHIE
02-28-2006, 08:00 PM
ah.
the good ol' days atmo...

Redturbo
02-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Richie
Had you figured as the Anarchist Cook Book type ;)

turbo

Bud
02-28-2006, 08:54 PM
When I got my new bike last fall I chose steel. My old ride was Al, and I was considering another Al or an Al/CF hybrid, but when I rode that steel Fierte, man it was sweet! It felt solid but totally responsive, so I was hooked. I haven't regretted the decision at all.

You're not weird, bro. The deal with steel is that it's real.

e-RICHIE
02-28-2006, 08:59 PM
When I got my new bike last fall I chose steel. My old ride was Al, and I was considering another Al or an Al/CF hybrid, but when I rode that steel Fierte, man it was sweet! It felt solid but totally responsive, so I was hooked. I haven't regretted the decision at all.

You're not weird, bro. The deal with steel is that it's real.

oh man get the ally mcbeal feel of isreal
and all that appeal with the steel zeal deal.

cs124
03-01-2006, 01:06 AM
...that it's all in your head?

sometimes we like what we like, nothing more to it.

shinomaster
03-01-2006, 03:18 AM
doesn't steel rust or something?

palincss
03-01-2006, 08:08 AM
doesn't steel rust or something?

"Steel frames didn't start rusting until after they started selling aluminum ones..." :cool:

ti_boi
03-01-2006, 08:16 AM
...that it's all in your head?

sometimes we like what we like, nothing more to it.

...like the heart wants what the hearts wants...? Maybe all those US Steel Workers put a buncha hard core mojo into the werks -- and you know -- you feel it!

JohnS
03-01-2006, 08:22 AM
"Steel frames didn't start rusting until after they started selling aluminum ones..." :cool:
Steel frames didn't start rusting until the steel makers decided to go the lightness route and make their tubes stupid-thin. Back in the old days it didn't make a dif, now it might.

Tom
03-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Definitely a different ride, that steel. I have one bike not steel that's all crispy and fast and one that is and like you say it just jumps forward. Two great rides. Life's good.

crossjunkee
03-01-2006, 09:22 AM

I love it! That statement is awesome!

One of my all time favorite bikes is my Strong cross bike. Of course it's steel and rides like an absolute dream.

spiderman
03-01-2006, 09:27 AM
i thought it was the fact that i built it up myself
or that an infatuation with a new style of riding
...caused my zeal for the ottrott
to be supplanted by the steel cIII...
...but now that you mention it
i think the appealing feel of steel is the real deal...

Climb01742
03-01-2006, 09:38 AM
i thought we all had agreed that frame material isn't important...it's design that counts...or is that just when we're talking about carbon? :banana: :beer: :p :D ;) with tongue not just in cheek, but super-glued to cheek.

dbrk
03-01-2006, 09:46 AM
i thought we all had agreed that frame material isn't important...it's design that counts...or is that just when we're talking about carbon? [...snipped those annoying smilie things and replaced them with a STEEL smilely, ;-) ] with tongue not just in cheek, but super-glued to cheek.

True, true. Design it is and far more important to comfort are tires and tire pressure. Take out some air, ride cush, ride _slower_ and you will ride _longer_. What's the hurry?

dbrk

p.s. wave as you pass me...

zap
03-01-2006, 09:56 AM
We have this sweet fillet brazed tandem that requires annual rust prevention treatments. And trust me, it's no thin walled steel tubeset either. Growing up in Canada and seeing all steel road things rust, I have an aversion to this form of oxidation.

It's what many here would consider old (christ, 14 years now), but we wouldn't trade it in for anything else. It's a sweet ride with proper tandem racing geo.

Zap

who's looking for a steel thingy but needs to finish a composite thingy first.

Catulle
03-01-2006, 09:58 AM
ah.
the good ol' days atmo...

(Sighhhh) Oh, the good old days...

dbrk
03-01-2006, 10:34 AM
(Sighhhh) Oh, the good old days...

Indeed!! For an interesting take on having opinions have a look here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blackhistory/news/story?id=2343032

These guys didn't ride bicycles but they were my heroes in '68. I'm not nostaligic for the "good old days" but I can't say I find these days much better.

Bike content: These guys would have been faster running than most guys on high-pressure, skinny tire bikes. Also, they are men of steel. Steel is real.

dbrk

Climb01742
03-01-2006, 10:48 AM
and lee evans too.

dbrk
03-01-2006, 11:18 AM
and lee evans too.

This record stood for some twenty years.

dbrk

p.s grauitous cycling content: Thighs like make me think of Nothstein and those giants of the other track...

JohnS
03-01-2006, 11:22 AM
How 'bout George with his little Americn flag?

Samster
03-01-2006, 10:56 PM
bro i got my new caad 7 it fits great and it's a stiff mofo modern race bike and it rides great too.
rode my work bike on a group ride after work today and it felt like a coiled spring ready to be unleashed at my command I enjoyed the ride . so what is the deal with steel or am I just weird? it's n.o.s. col.sl lugged
they are both cool the caad 7 is my race bike and it's great but so is the old steel bike. I didn't think I would still like my steel bike as much after i got my new bike .cheers :beer:

i don't think the material matters that much. i think the way the frame is laid out and how the tubes are picked is what matters... steel is steel.

slowgoing
03-01-2006, 11:48 PM
My favorite was Eddie Hart from the '72 games. Gets the wrong start time from his coach, misses his heat and is disqualified from the 100, but later in the anchor leg of the relays, gets the baton in the lead and 100 champ Valery Borzov can't make up any distance on him. Got his autograph at a track meet a few years ago.

Climb01742
03-02-2006, 04:33 AM
i was a white kid running the sprints in high school idolizing all these black track heroes. maybe there's hope for america yet. man, was it a golden era for US track in the middle 60s to mid 70s? from bullet bob hayes running something like a sick 7.9sec 100 meter relay leg to edwin moses being the most elegant, cerebral, unbeatable hurdler ever? i'll even put up with dwight stones to have seen all those guys...gals, too, the heiresses to the tennessee tech tiger-belles. am i a track geek or what?