PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo does carbon clinchers

thirdgenbird
07-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Well fulcrum anyway:
www.bikerumor.com/2014/07/30/fulcrum-racing-zero-goes-carbon-with-new-30mm-tubular-or-clincher-rim

The bit about non replaceable nipples appears to be incorrect by the way. Momag is campagnolo's magnet/valve stem process:
www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/technologies/collection/road/momag

I would rather have the new shamals (or traditional wheels) but carbon clincher caught me by surprise.

bluesea
07-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Too bad Fulcrum did not go with widening the rims as well, as the new Zero is almost 100g lighter than the Shamal Mille.

thirdgenbird
07-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Have you seen width specs? I'm guessing thry are wider.

bluesea
07-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Have you seen width specs? I'm guessing thry are wider.

No, just assumed such a feature would be headlined or at least included in the report. Could very well be wrong.

thirdgenbird
07-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Based off what appears to be completely false info about the nipples, I'm surprised they didn't say they were 40mm wide :)

Ralph
07-30-2014, 08:41 PM
I really like my Campy wheels with no need for rim strips (Momag). Just one more thing not to bother with.

carpediemracing
07-31-2014, 09:58 AM
In the past Corima made carbon clincher rims sold by Campy. I wonder if this is still the case.

thirdgenbird
07-31-2014, 10:14 AM
In the past Corima made carbon clincher rims sold by Campy. I wonder if this is still the case.

I thought corima just made the first few years of carbon tubular rims. Were there carbon clinchers?

apeescape
07-31-2014, 11:09 AM
Haven't Hyperons (and Racing Light XLR) been available as clinchers for some time now? This just seems like a tech upgrade with no C.U.L.T bearings.

lhuerta
07-31-2014, 11:15 AM
I thought corima just made the first few years of carbon tubular rims. Were there carbon clinchers?

Hyperon clinchers have been available for many years...

thirdgenbird
07-31-2014, 11:19 AM
You are absolutely right... Can't believe I forgot about those. I guess that happens with wheels that cost more than all my bikes combined.

Yep, this upgrades to the momag system and 2:1 lacing

carpediemracing
07-31-2014, 12:19 PM

As pointed out above, yes. The interesting thing, at least to me, with the Corima/Campy carbon clinchers was that the rims were limited to a pretty low pressure, like 112 psi or something (whatever bar that translates to). That's in the manual.

The rims blew apart pretty close to that pressure, according to some destructive testing done by an engineer friend that worked for a different wheel company ("I get to buy $3k wheels and blow them to pieces as part of my job! Isn't that awesome?"). In comparison some of the other carbon rims went well into the upper 100s and low-mid 200s before breaking. One rim didn't break in their testing, the tire blew off at some absurd pressure in the 200s. This was back in 2005 or so, so my data only applies to that era carbon clinchers.

Generally speaking I ride my 23c clinchers at 90-105 psi. I've tried everything from the mid 50s to 120 psi) and to run so close to the failure point consistently would make me uncomfortable, regardless of whether or not I could afford the wheels (I can't, in either iteration).

My curiosity is if the rims are stronger than the first gen of carbon clinchers. I didn't bother looking at current manual pdfs etc.