PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Hills Mayor road raging

joosttx
07-30-2014, 08:05 AM
Buddy of mine asked me to pass it along. The Mayor of Sunset Hills has been accused of accosting and attacking a cyclist in his Mercedes. Doesn't seem like there is much going on so I thought I would share the account from the victim.

"This is going to be a long post.... Sorry

I will give a brief description of events,
Coming down old Gravois road (big hill) a red Mercedes convert alb with the top down comes up next to me screaming get off my roads, get off my roads. After what seemed like ten seconds of this he whips his car to the right hitting me on the left side of my body knocking the bike out from under me. My left arm hooked the back of the passenger door and he gunned it flinging me off onto the road. This all happened around 20mph. After I got up the car behind him that thankfully did not run me over asked if I was ok, I said would you please chase him and get his plate number. What I didn't know was a truck coming the other direction saw the entire thing and did a u-turn and chased him down. I will skip the other details for now. Long story short that did a vehicle accident report and let him go???? ···!!!!
I went up to the police station with my attorney after thinking about what just happened. Something just didn't seem right. Five cop cars.... No information for me and they let him go.
I will preface the next part by saying that the Sunset Hills police promise to do everything by the book.

PLEASE READ this part.
THE MAYOR of Sunset hills told me to get off HIS roads then ran me over. The friggen mayor!
His name is Mark E. Furrer
Please feel free to pass this around or to call Sunset Hills to state your feelings "

https://www.facebook.com/electfurrer

Ironically, there is also a race in that city called "sunset hills triathlon"

Some more updated news of the event in chronologic order:
- The Mayor of Sunset Hills, MO intentionally ran a cyclist off the road, after telling him to "get off HIS roads".
- The Mayor left the cyclist for dead, and fled the scene.
- A witness chased the Mayor down and made him come back.
- 911 Operator tells the victim not speak to the driver or confront him in any way.
- FIVE Police cars respond, do not give the victim ANY information on the name of the driver.
- The Mayor is allowed to leave the scene without as much as a traffic ticket.
- The Mayor is not given a DUI test, although Facebook posts show he had recently left an establishment called "Margaritas"
- Only after returning to the Police station with an Attorney the victim was given the name and status of the driver, after a long wait.

marciero
07-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Tony Edwards
07-30-2014, 08:25 AM
His email address is mfurrer@sunset-hills.com.

Personally I am not rushing to judgment here, much as the accusations make my blood boil, because all I have actually seen is claims from an anonymous party posted online. Certainly if he is guilty of this I would like to see him convicted of a felony and sent to prison.

tch
07-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Before the cycle world rushes out to crucify this mayor, let's please get the facts and truth right. Who was the victim? When did this occur exactly? Is there a police report? A 911 report?
We need more than an anonymous post before marshaling our condemnation.

Jgrooms
07-30-2014, 09:09 AM
A quick search shows this is the third forum this has been posted on.

Advise your friend to contact the local media & have them ck for police report & seek comment.

And as I was advised recently, your friend should refrain from posting details on SM regarding any events related to accident.

josephr
07-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Before the cycle world rushes out to crucify this mayor, let's please get the facts and truth right. Who was the victim? When did this occur exactly? Is there a police report? A 911 report?
We need more than an anonymous post before marshaling our condemnation.

+1 --- I googled it and found this same post on slowtwitch also with similar comments...but no link to a news outlet. If the guy's a jerk hiding behind jack-booted thugs, he deserves it...but definitely not something the cycling internet community needs to backfire.
Joe

buldogge
07-30-2014, 09:47 AM
I don't know the individual…but…he has posted to the local board and is known to other people there…this doesn't prove anything, just pointing out that he doesn't seem to be coming out of left field.

If I hear anything else…details/facts…I will post here.

-Mark in St. Louis

joosttx
07-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Bikelife STL facebook page has more details on the situation.

buldogge
07-30-2014, 09:54 AM
From that page:

"A friend, cyclist and elite triathlete, Randy Murdick, was by his account, intentionally run off the road by the Mayor of Sunset Hills this afternoon. The Mayor was driving next to Randy in his convertible Mercedes and yelled at Randy to get off his roads. Randy was riding in an area with no shoulder but was to the far right of the lane. Police responded to the scene and told Randy that they were writing it up as an accident. I accompanied Randy to the police department and spoke with the commander in charge. We were assured that a fair investigation will be completed on Friday when Officer Senior, the investigating officer, returns to work. The case may be transferred out of Sunset Hills for potential prosecution. At this time it is only written up as an accident but the report will not be completed until at least Friday if not next week. There are two good eye witnesses who saw the events and may be able to confirm the Mayor appeared to swerve with intent to hit Randy. Both witnesses also saw the Mayor accelerate after the accident and attempt to leave the scene from what we understand. Randy's very expensive racing bicycle was destroyed and he has injuries to his leg. We will await the police report for further update. I suspect this will make the news in the next few days. I hope that we all make sure Sunset Hills knows that this is not tolerated in our community. Absolutely completely shocking and inappropriate by the leader of Sunset Hills."

Bikelife STL facebook page has more details on the situation.

Aaron O
07-30-2014, 10:06 AM
From that page:

"A friend, cyclist and elite triathlete, Randy Murdick, was by his account, intentionally run off the road by the Mayor of Sunset Hills this afternoon. The Mayor was driving next to Randy in his convertible Mercedes and yelled at Randy to get off his roads. Randy was riding in an area with no shoulder but was to the far right of the lane. Police responded to the scene and told Randy that they were writing it up as an accident. I accompanied Randy to the police department and spoke with the commander in charge. We were assured that a fair investigation will be completed on Friday when Officer Senior, the investigating officer, returns to work. The case may be transferred out of Sunset Hills for potential prosecution. At this time it is only written up as an accident but the report will not be completed until at least Friday if not next week. There are two good eye witnesses who saw the events and may be able to confirm the Mayor appeared to swerve with intent to hit Randy. Both witnesses also saw the Mayor accelerate after the accident and attempt to leave the scene from what we understand. Randy's very expensive racing bicycle was destroyed and he has injuries to his leg. We will await the police report for further update. I suspect this will make the news in the next few days. I hope that we all make sure Sunset Hills knows that this is not tolerated in our community. Absolutely completely shocking and inappropriate by the leader of Sunset Hills."

If it happened as laid out, I hope a lot of heads roll...starting with whichever officers were involved in not giving a breathalyzer. What really bugs me is when I think about what would have happened had the victim been less savvy. Someone without an attorney to immediately represent him. Assuming it happened as laid out.

Jgrooms
07-30-2014, 10:21 AM
This will be interesting. StL is coming off an unfortunate hit & run fatality earlier this summer.

buldogge
07-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Yep…and we're still fighting to get charges pressed…the city prosecutor is dropping the ball.

-Mark

This will be interesting. StL is coming off an unfortunate hit & run fatality earlier this summer.

Jgrooms
07-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Ongoing investigation, but they made sure they released that there was video of cyclist breaking a traffic law!

buldogge
07-30-2014, 12:58 PM
If we're talking about the N. Sarah incident...then the official police report does not state that.

-Mark

Ongoing investigation, but they made sure they released that there was video of cyclist breaking a traffic law!

Bruce K
07-30-2014, 01:56 PM
And now drunk cyclist has it ....

:rolleyes:

BK

MattTuck
07-30-2014, 02:03 PM
This is by no means meant to exonerate the driver, or blame the cyclist...

but if someone comes up next to me while I'm riding, and starts yelling stuff at me and threatening me, that seems like as good a time as any to hit the brakes, let him drive away and De-escalate the situation.

Why continue to ride next to someone for 10 seconds, when you perceive them to be a threat to your safety.

Again, I'm not saying the cyclist was in the wrong, but sometimes, it pays to practice defensive riding. It will be great if they can make an example out of the mayor, but personal safety should be priority number one when on the road, not desire to become a martyr.

Jgrooms
07-30-2014, 02:16 PM
If we're talking about the N. Sarah incident...then the official police report does not state that.

-Mark

Rider had a video camera.

http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/cyclist-killed-in-st-louis-hit-and-run-was-safety/article_32466bfd-739e-56e8-97a7-4859dd89bff1.html?mobile_touch=true

buldogge
07-30-2014, 02:24 PM
I know...I'm just telling you what the official police report reads (or more appropriately, doesn't read).

-Mark

Rider had a video camera.

http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/cyclist-killed-in-st-louis-hit-and-run-was-safety/article_32466bfd-739e-56e8-97a7-4859dd89bff1.html?mobile_touch=true

Jgrooms
07-30-2014, 02:30 PM
Ok not an official report, but the police made sure to release to reporter there was video...

joosttx
07-30-2014, 02:32 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/bicyclist-claims-sunset-hills-mayor-swerved-car-into-him-mayor/article_81ac765b-e12c-5990-abe6-afa62e3f51c9.html Here is an account from both sides.

SUNSET HILLS • A Fenton bicyclist says the mayor of Sunset Hills swore at him and then intentionally swerved into his bike with his car Tuesday afternoon.

Sunset Hills Mayor Mark E. Furrer denies he hit the man and says the cyclist was the one yelling profanities at him. Police are investigating the incident.

Sunset Hills Police Chief William LaGrand said police were called to the scene on old Gravois Road near Kennerly Road about 4:30 Tuesday afternoon. He said he did not have details on the incident, but said it involved Furrer, who was driving a car, and a bicyclist.

A police report has not yet been completed on the incident, he said, so he was not sure whether there had been contact between the car and the bicycle. He said he did not believe medic units were requested.

The cyclist, Randy Murdick, of Fenton, told the Post-Dispatch he was nearing the end of a 40-mile ride on Tuesday afternoon when a man in a red Mercedes convertible came upon him on Old Gravois and matched his pace.

The man yelled for Murdick, 47, to "get off my .... roads," including an expletive, Murdick said Wednesday. After the man yelled the same thing multiple times, Murdick said he lost patience and yelled back at the driver, using an expletive. The man then swerved into his bike, Murdick said.

The impact knocked Murdick to the ground, he said, and damaged his bike. A triathlete who participates in about 50 races a year, Murdick said his bike is worth about $13,000.

He said the man in the red car took off, and a witness in another car took off after him. The driver later returned to the scene, and about a half dozen police officers arrived, according to Murdick.

Murdick later went to St. Anthony's Medical Center and said he has a torn Achilles tendon and various bruises.

Murdick said he didn't learn the man who allegedly hit him was the mayor until later going to the police station with his lawyer to demand the driver be investigated for felony assault. He said the matter should be taken seriously and not be treated as a simple traffic accident.

MAYOR DENIES HE SWERVED INTO CYCLIST

Furrer gives a different version of events. He said he was driving when the cyclist whipped around a corner and ran a stop sign. He said he told the cyclist he needed to obey traffic signs, and the cyclist started yelling at him, using profanities.

Furrer said Murdick grabbed onto his car during the incident. He said he didn't accelerate or swerve, but saw Murdick then tumble from his bike. Furrer said he kept going, but used a street to turn around the first change he got to go back to check on Murdick.

He said he has been getting calls and emails from angry cyclists around the country and Canada. His Facebook page filled with accusatory comments. The page now appears to have been taken down.

"Honestly, I'm ready to vomit," Furrer said. "From yesterday on I'm so upset, I just felt like I could throw up because it's so disturbing that somebody could accuse me of a road rage thing."

No arrests were made and the incident remains under investigation, the police chief said. The investigation will be treated like any other despite the mayor's involvement, LaGrand said.

Furrer was a write-in candidate who beat the incumbent mayor in April. A controversy over a proposed QuikTrip store helped power Furrer's surprise win over then-Mayor William Nolan.

"I caught him with his pants down around his ankles," a jubilant Furrer said after the victory. "The people have spoken."

Nolan had been mayor of the south St. Louis County surburb since 2010.

Waldo
07-30-2014, 02:39 PM
I think it's time someone designed a jersey with "Smile You're on Camera" on the back. Even if you're not toting a rear-facing camera it'll make drivers think twice about behaving abusively toward cyclists.

Aaron O
07-30-2014, 02:41 PM
I hate when cyclists rush to judgement, and/or automatically assume the cyclist is right, but the mayor's version of events just doesn't track. Who would intentionally grab onto a car? Why? I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying that an experienced cyclist would grab someone's car. This also leads to the obvious question of why his car was close enough to grab in the first place. Frankly all of us are used to the occasional harassment...earned or otherwise...and I'm finding it difficult to believe that even a hothead is going to be so outraged at being told he blew a sign that he swerves into a car that's properly placed in order to grab it. Does that track? I find it far more believe-able that a guy leaving a place called margaritas lost his temper, assaulted someone, tried to flee and had to return.

I'm also not buying that if I were involved in an accident with a cyclist, and there was a hit and run accusation, the police would just let me go, without giving contact info to the cyclist or performing a field sobriety test. I don't know that community's norms, but that's not how it would work here.

His story just fails the smell test to me, as does the subsequent handling by the police.

josephr
07-30-2014, 02:56 PM
I hate when cyclists rush to judgement, and/or automatically assume the cyclist is right, but the mayor's version of events just doesn't track. Who would intentionally grab onto a car? Why? I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying that an experienced cyclist would grab someone's car. This also leads to the obvious question of why his car was close enough to grab in the first place.

I'm also not buying that if I were involved in an accident with a cyclist, and there was a hit and run accusation, the police would just let me go, without giving contact info to the cyclist or performing a field sobriety test. I don't know that community's norms, but that's not how it would work here.

His story just fails the smell test to me, as does the subsequent handling by the police.

Can't wait to hear from the witnesses---they're the ones who are going to make this story stick. His story passes the smell-test here...was riding at my local state park and a motorist slowed down telling me I should move over to let cars pass...I tried to ignore but then he started cussing at me...like an idiot, yelled back and that's when he swerved at me...avoided the accident by going off-road. Unfortunately, I only had a partial license plate and he'd already left the park so they couldn't (wouldn't?) do anything.

It all happens very fast and when you're on a bike, its even faster.

Aaron O
07-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Can't wait to hear from the witnesses---they're the ones who are going to make this story stick. His story passes the smell-test here...was riding at my local state park and a motorist slowed down telling me I should move over to let cars pass...I tried to ignore but then he started cussing at me...like an idiot, yelled back and that's when he swerved at me...avoided the accident by going off-road. Unfortunately, I only had a partial license plate and he'd already left the park so they couldn't (wouldn't?) do anything.

It all happens very fast and when you're on a bike, its even faster.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable subpoena of the bar bill, if the margaritas thing is indeed true.

We had a case locally - it was a while back, but the gist of it was a DA hit a cyclist after racking up an incredibly high bar bill, fled, turned himself in the next day, and the most serious charges were dismissed by a judge who I think had connections to the DAs family.

States need to end the gap between charges for DUI and charges for hit and run. It should be assumed that you were drunk in a hit and run as far as the application of penalties.

tiretrax
07-30-2014, 03:24 PM
It should be assumed that you were drunk in a hit and run as far as the application of penalties.

I assume you mean that if it can be proved that a person was drinking prior to the incident. Won't happen - the Constitution stands in the way. There must be proof that the crime (drunk driving) was committed.

Aaron O
07-30-2014, 03:28 PM
I assume you mean that if it can be proved that a person was drinking prior to the incident. Won't happen - the Constitution stands in the way. There must be proof that the crime (drunk driving) was committed.

What I wrote wasn't worded well.

Let me be clear - I'm not suggesting that the person be found guilty of drunk driving. I'm suggesting that the penalty for hit and run meet, or exceed, that for DUI, or the criminal affects of DUI, such that it eliminates some of the incentive to flee and miraculously discover the damage to the car 24 hours later - after blood alcohol level has returned to 0.

buldogge
07-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately, the mayor was at an opening of this new restaurant in his "neighborhood" and I'm sure was being comped.

Supposedly he had red-faced pictures from the 'Magaritas' event posted on his FB page…first taken down…now page gone…this is all 2nd hand, as I don't do FB.

-Mark

gdw
07-30-2014, 03:53 PM
The penalties for hit and run resulting in injury or death are pretty severe, more severe than DUI, in most states ..... up to 4 years in jail and some hefty fines in Missouri.
http://www.deadlyroads.com/laws/missouri-hit-and-run-laws.shtml

Louis
07-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Unfortunately, the mayor was at an opening of this new restaurant in his "neighborhood" and I'm sure was being comped.

I doubt he drank at the resto opening - the only thing that dude ever drinks is Super Big Gulps at QT.

josephr
07-30-2014, 03:56 PM

Supposedly he had red-faced pictures from the 'Magaritas' event posted on his FB page…first taken down…now page gone…this is all 2nd hand, as I don't do FB.

-Mark

Either way...this mayor is in for a major social media drama storm!!! :banana:

Aaron O
07-30-2014, 03:59 PM
The penalties for hit and run resulting in injury or death are pretty severe, more severe than DUI, in most states ..... up to 4 years in jail and some hefty fines in Missouri.
http://www.deadlyroads.com/laws/missouri-hit-and-run-laws.shtml

Unfortunately that's not the case in my state. I don't know what the rules are in "most" states, let alone the one where this happened.

buldogge
07-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Hold on…so this dude goes into a 7-11 and buys a Super Big Gulp (™) and then stands around in a QT and drinks them…weird!

:p

-Mark

I doubt he drank at the resto opening - the only thing that dude ever drinks is Super Big Gulps at QT.

gdw
07-30-2014, 04:39 PM
"Unfortunately that's not the case in my state. I don't know what the rules are in "most" states, let alone the one where this happened. "

Click on the link I posted if you want to learn how it's handled in Missouri. As to your state, (still PA?) it's a class 3 felony with mandatory jail time. Penalties for first time DUI in PA are pretty light.

Louis
07-30-2014, 05:00 PM
This isn't creating as much of a fuss on the St Louis Bike Forum as I would have expected:

http://stlbiking.com/forum/index.php/topic/39194-i-was-intentionally-hit-by-the-sunset-hills-mayor/

Aaron O
07-30-2014, 05:18 PM
"Unfortunately that's not the case in my state. I don't know what the rules are in "most" states, let alone the one where this happened. "

Click on the link I posted if you want to learn how it's handled in Missouri. As to your state, (still PA?) it's a class 3 felony with mandatory jail time. Penalties for first time DUI in PA are pretty light.

I'm PA. I think it depends on the accident and standard local treatments...for instance, in the case I mentioned above the former DA was charged with a misdemeanor leaving the scene because the victim's injuries weren't life threatening. Substantially under DUI and related assault charges which DUI can bring. I'm not a subject matter expert, but I'll tell you that we have a lot of people who flee and find god while nit getting the types of punishments they would had they tested positive for alcohol.

ultraman6970
07-30-2014, 07:19 PM
WHere is the video??? There's a video???

buldogge
07-30-2014, 08:40 PM
T…The discussed video is from a different incident, and the video from that incident has never been publicly released.

-Mark

WHere is the video??? There's a video???

CunegoFan
07-30-2014, 08:44 PM
Radio interview with the cyclist and his lawyer.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2014/07/30/the-mark-reardon-show-73014-randy-murdick-rick-stream-tony-pousosa-jill-schlesinger-richard-linklater/

ultraman6970
07-30-2014, 08:46 PM
Sorry :)

T…The discussed video is from a different incident, and the video from that incident has never been publicly released.

-Mark

Anarchist
07-30-2014, 08:56 PM
So where are the Rob Ford jokes now?

CunegoFan
07-30-2014, 09:05 PM
So where are the Rob Ford jokes now?

Given the mayor's last name, I think we can call him Der Furrer.

josephr
07-30-2014, 09:44 PM
Here's what ran on S. Louis' Fox 2 news...the guy on the bike injured his Achilles...

http://fox2now.com/2014/07/30/get-off-my-roads-sunset-hills-mayor-under-investigation-after-cyclist-hit-by-car/

josephr
07-30-2014, 11:12 PM
the mayor's side of the story....

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/bicyclist-claims-sunset-hills-mayor-swerved-car-into-him-mayor/article_81ac765b-e12c-5990-abe6-afa62e3f51c9.html

Louis
07-30-2014, 11:35 PM
The guy drives a red Mercedes convertible. What more do you need to know?

Actually, I'm somewhat kidding. Twenty years ago I used to drive a red Alfa Romeo convertible, so maybe I should identify with Hizzoner, not the cyclist...

rustychisel
07-30-2014, 11:45 PM
uh oh, the Mayor's just painted himself into a 'him or me' corner. Not smart.

azrider
07-30-2014, 11:47 PM
I know if i lived in St.Louis i'd be showing up for this ride

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/611942422253765/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular&source=1

apparently one of the witnesses and his 28 yr old son were interviewed:

UPDATE ON HIT AND RUN OF CYCLIST: I just did a 5 minute interview with one of the witnesses. He corroborates EVERYTHING Randy Murdick said. Also, the witnesses 28 year old son was also in the truck so there are THREE witnesses. In sum, the driver of the truck said he saw the Mayor turn the wheel to the right into the cyclist. He absolutely believes it was intentional and deliberate. He chased the mayor down the road and yelled at him and blinked his lights to get him to pull over. He could not believe the mayor got away without a ticket. At no time did he ever see Randy grab the car. His hands were on the bike. The Mayor's story is a total lie.

joosttx
07-30-2014, 11:48 PM
uh oh, the Mayor's just painted himself into a 'him or me' corner. Not smart.

Especially when there are two eye witness which the victim says will corroborate his story. The police report will be released on Friday.

Aaron O
07-31-2014, 12:13 AM
His story just doesn't make sense. Were it true, why was he close enough for the cyclist to grab his car? If he was being yelled at why didn't he drive away? Why would a vulnerable, experienced, cyclist grab his car? Why didn't he immediately stop?

Louis
07-31-2014, 12:20 AM
Once years ago I was riding very slowly up a steep, tough hill and a crazy old guy tried to run me off the road. There was no shoulder, and rocks and brush on the side, so as he continued to squeeze me closer and closer to the edge I finally had to grab onto the passenger side door to keep from falling over.

I'm not saying that cyclist did grab the car, but even if he did, I can think of a good reason why that might have happened, given the circumstances.

Aaron O
07-31-2014, 12:24 AM
Once years ago I was riding very slowly up a steep, tough hill and a crazy old guy tried to run me off the road. There was no shoulder, and rocks and brush on the side, so as he continued to squeeze me closer and closer to the edge I finally had to grab onto the passenger side door to keep from falling over.

I'm not saying that cyclist did grab the car, but even if he did, I can think of a good reason why that might have happened, given the circumstances.

Louis - I think you're misunderstanding me.

Why would he aggressively grab his car while mayor mccheese did nothing untoward? That's his reported claim...that he was driving his car innocently when a crazed cyclist shouted profanity and grabbed his car.

Sure - I could see it happening if a lunatic tried to run him off of the road and he was trying to protect himself from falling. I can't see a cyclist grabbing a car in a fit of pique.

Louis
07-31-2014, 12:54 AM
Why would he aggressively grab his car while mayor mccheese did nothing untoward? That's his reported claim...that he was driving his car innocently when a crazed cyclist shouted profanity and grabbed his car.

Agreed.

Hopefully the witnesses will tell the police what's been reported that they have said to others, and the cops will have no choice but to include that in their own report.

The fact that the mayor was not given a ticket at the scene tells you how they're leaning (of course). You can be sure that if their positions had been reversed and the mayor had been the cyclist and he'd called 911 to report a drunk driver trying to run him off the road the guy would have spent the night in the tank.

Jgrooms
07-31-2014, 04:18 AM
Radio interview with the cyclist and his lawyer.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2014/07/30/the-mark-reardon-show-73014-randy-murdick-rick-stream-tony-pousosa-jill-schlesinger-richard-linklater/

Good stuff! Aggressive strategy. This will be an interesting & high profile case. Thanks for posting.

marciero
07-31-2014, 05:25 AM
This is rare case in that the car and driver were identified, witnesses corroborate, etc, and it appears to be intentional (There was a case in California last year that comes to mind where the driver pulled in front and slammed on his brakes on a descent.)

Bike Snob NYC's blog is full of stories of cyclists and pedestrians being hit and sometimes killed by motorists, albeit not intentionally, who are identified but never even charged with anything.

Mr. Pink
07-31-2014, 05:52 AM
The guy drives a red Mercedes convertible. What more do you need to know?

Total trophy wife car around here. A bit ostentatious for a small town mayor from Missouri, wouldn't you say? Somebody should examine his tax returns.

Love the language in the TV report. "A renowned St. Louis cyclist" (!) and "A champion cyclist". pheww. Laying it on thick there, huh?

endosch2
07-31-2014, 07:29 AM
Total trophy wife car around here. A bit ostentatious for a small town mayor from Missouri, wouldn't you say? Somebody should examine his tax returns.

Love the language in the TV report. "A renowned St. Louis cyclist" (!) and "A champion cyclist". pheww. Laying it on thick there, huh?

He is the state champ mountain biker and # 2 in cyclocross apparently, so no issue calling him that.

Tony Edwards
07-31-2014, 07:42 AM

Yes, it's a red Mercedes, but it's also a 1991. Depending on engine, condition and mileage, that is a $5-10K car.

eippo1
07-31-2014, 07:49 AM
His story just doesn't make sense. Were it true, why was he close enough for the cyclist to grab his car? If he was being yelled at why didn't he drive away? Why would a vulnerable, experienced, cyclist grab his car? Why didn't he immediately stop?

The other thing is that another following car with witnesses wouldn't try to chase him down if his story is what actually happened. They tried to police the situation, which makes much more sense with the cyclist's story.

Gummee
07-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Yes, it's a red Mercedes, but it's also a 1991. Depending on engine, condition and mileage, that is a $5-10K car.

Try $3-5k car

My 95 S-Class was worth appx $4k

M

Mr. Pink
07-31-2014, 08:13 AM

Whoops. No trophy wife would stay around for that. Sorry. More like an old bachelor's car.

David Tollefson
07-31-2014, 08:39 AM
From the Mayor's side article (St Louis Dispatch):

“Right now, it’s my word against his,” Furrer said. “Is he a liar or am I a liar?”

Well, who's the politician?

josephr
07-31-2014, 08:57 AM

“Right now, it’s my word against his,” Furrer said. “Is he a liar or am I a liar?”

Exactly...not only that, the fact that there was any sort of 'incident' here is enough for me. Had this Mayor just gone around....

peanutgallery
07-31-2014, 09:03 AM
Are the politicians lips moving? That is how you can tell

ultraman6970
07-31-2014, 09:18 AM
Since the moment the cops did not care, means that something is wrong and needs to be investigated.

Probably if the dude talks with some opposite party heavy dude, they could do something, politicians take advantage of situations like that big time.

Tony Edwards
07-31-2014, 09:47 AM
Try $3-5k car

My 95 S-Class was worth appx $4k

M

Yeah, but the flagship Merc/BMW/Audis (i.e., S class, 7 series, A8/S8) always suffer more depreciation than other models, because the rich guys lease them new and don't want them once they might start requiring repair or maintenance. 1991 SLs go for $5-10K on eBay all day long.

Aaron O
07-31-2014, 11:54 AM
The other thing is that another following car with witnesses wouldn't try to chase him down if his story is what actually happened. They tried to police the situation, which makes much more sense with the cyclist's story.

Exactly, his narrative just doesn't make sense. When things don't make sense...

I'm glad there were witnesses. The scary part is thinking about how this would have been handled had the victim not brought an attorney into it immediately.

Tony Edwards
07-31-2014, 11:56 AM
Exactly, his narrative just doesn't make sense. When things don't make sense...

I'm glad there were witnesses. The scary part is thinking about how this would have been handled had the victim not brought an attorney into it immediately.

Agreed on both counts. I only hope (probably naively) that either the County Sheriff or another law enforcement agency handles this investigation in an neutral manner. If what the cyclist is claiming is true, this was, at a minimum, aggravated assault, and arguably attempted murder.

Jgrooms
07-31-2014, 12:55 PM
Remember the LA road rage doctor, who had a prior but the authorities declined to pursue until he did it again & nearly killed someone.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/01/news/l-a-road-rage-doctor-gets-five-years_102274

Climb01742
07-31-2014, 01:57 PM
The part of this I find most troubling after the assault by car itself is how the mayor and police, it appears, chose to act. It appears they decided to go the 'my word against his' route based on two assumptions: a mayor's word is more inherently believable than a cyclist's and that there weren't any eye witnesses.

If the cyclist's version is buttressed by witnesses, I hope the book gets thrown at both the mayor and the police involved. If the evidence backs the cyclist, it's one more damning incident of power protecting power at the expense of the truth.

gdw
07-31-2014, 03:36 PM
In the real world police officers and the elected politicians who run their cities, towns, and counties don't always get along. Lots of law enforcement officers would love a chance to arrest some of the pompous asses who make their lives miserable. If the cyclist's account is correct the mayor should be charged with a felony and will face mandatory jail time if convicted. Let the police investigate and issue their report before jumping to conclusions.

PS - The restaurant where some folks believe the mayor was drinking before the incident hasn't received their liquor license yet and served him soda.

p nut
07-31-2014, 03:58 PM
I should invest in a GoPro sooner than later.

Really interested to read the police report.

Aaron O
07-31-2014, 04:37 PM
In the real world police officers and the elected politicians who run their cities, towns, and counties don't always get along. Lots of law enforcement officers would love a chance to arrest some of the pompous asses who make their lives miserable. If the cyclist's account is correct the mayor should be charged with a felony and will face mandatory jail time if convicted. Let the police investigate and issue their report before jumping to conclusions.

PS - The restaurant where some folks believe the mayor was drinking before the incident hasn't received their liquor license yet and served him soda.

I find it hard to believe that had I, a regular bozo, driven a car, had contact with a cyclist, been accused of assault, and been accused of hit and run, the police would have let me go without a field sobriety test and without giving my contact information to the cyclist.

Note - I am not saying ticketed or arrested.

gdw
07-31-2014, 05:36 PM
Adam, neither you or I know what happened that day but I do know an officer needs probable cause to administer a field sobriety test and a driver has the right to refuse it. As to the contact information, it is typically exchanged at the site of the accident when possible. Accidents where one party needs medical attention sometimes prevent that from happening. The police gather that information and typically provide it to the victim or his representative on request.

I'm not taking sides but just pointing out that the assumption that the police mishandled the case are premature at this point.

Aaron O
07-31-2014, 05:57 PM
Adam, neither you or I know what happened that day but I do know an officer needs probable cause to administer a field sobriety test and a driver has the right to refuse it. As to the contact information, it is typically exchanged at the site of the accident when possible. Accidents where one party needs medical attention sometimes prevent that from happening. The police gather that information and typically provide it to the victim or his representative on request.

I'm not taking sides but just pointing out that the assumption that the police mishandled the case are premature at this point.
I understand your perspective and share your apprehension about rushes to judgement, but this doesn't pass the smell test for me. The mayors story doesn't pass the test. I don't think not giving contact info passes the sniff test. I understand your point about probable cause, but where I live it's assumed with a plausible accusation of hit and run.

As you say, we'll see how it shakes out.

ultraman6970
07-31-2014, 06:36 PM
if shakes out.

joosttx
08-01-2014, 01:10 AM
The chief of police of Sunset Hills has asked St Louis county to take over the case. That is probably the right thing to do.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2014/07/31/sunset-hills-police-turning-mayors-road-rage-investigation-over-to-county/

Louis
08-01-2014, 01:26 AM
The cyclist has tats - clearly he's a low-life and not to be trusted.

I wonder if this is all Buldogge's fault?

Mr. Pink
08-01-2014, 06:54 AM
The chief of police of Sunset Hills has asked St Louis county to take over the case. That is probably the right thing to do.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2014/07/31/sunset-hills-police-turning-mayors-road-rage-investigation-over-to-county/

His lawyer must have advised him to take his earrings out for that little press conference. Should tell him to start wearing long sleeves to hide the ink.

azrider
08-01-2014, 08:01 AM
story made it's way to BikeSnob

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/

p nut
08-01-2014, 04:42 PM
More drama.

http://fox2now.com/2014/07/31/sunset-hills-triathlon-title-sponsorship-threatening-to-pull-itself/

Looks like Furrer was the first to comment.

ultraman6970
08-01-2014, 05:00 PM
If there's a witness the mayor is pretty much screwed, now the sponsorship for the race was a good move. Honestly and not that I'm giving the reason to the rider, a lot of riders just do dumb ass crap in the road, but many of these politician careers are filled for the meanest and biggest a-holes around. You don't get there for being nice.

portlandben
08-01-2014, 05:24 PM
This appears to the smart move. Allows for more objectivity, assuming the mayor isn't too friendly with those taking over the case.

Doesn't make trusting politicians and police any easier. It'll be interesting to see it play out.

azrider
08-01-2014, 08:19 PM
It simply amazes me that there are people with this kind of mentality that still exist. What a piece of sh*t

Tony Edwards
08-01-2014, 08:33 PM
It simply amazes me that there are people with this kind of mentality that still exist. What a piece of sh*t

Nice head of hair on that sh*tbag.

CunegoFan
08-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Nice head of hair on that sh*tbag.

Short, stocky, slow witted bald man. Riding would fix one of the adjective but he boned on the others.

joosttx
08-02-2014, 07:04 AM
Here is a summary of the 911 calls. Not good for the Mayor.....

911 recordings

In response to a Sunshine Law request submitted to the city of Sunset Hills, the Call received the 911 calls related to the incident on Thursday afternoon, and they appear to corroborate Murdick's version of events. A man who said he witnessed the contact between the car and the bicycle said that the driver hit a bicyclist. A second call was made by Murdick himself.

Furrer's voice does not appear on any of the recordings, and no mention is made that he is the mayor. Murdick said he did not realize that the person in the car was the mayor until he went to the Sunset Hills Police Department later that night.

The first 911 call opens with someone who is not the one making the call shouting in the background, "Pull over, pull over! You just hit that guy and took off!"

The caller, who identified himself as the son of the man shouting, told the emergency dispatcher, "I would like to report a hit and run over here on Old Gravois Road, right here by Delta Dental."

"Leaving the scene, or a hit and run?" the dispatcher asked.

"The guy hit a bicyclist, drove off and then turned around and came back," the caller responded.

As the call continued, the caller's father can be heard yelling in the background, until the dispatcher asks the caller to tell his father not to say anything to the driver.

"Dad, stop yelling," the caller said.

"If he has to continue that, he needs to get in the car and close his mouth," the dispatcher said.

Murdick told the Call that when he first called 911, he was routed to a county dispatcher, who then sent him to the Sunset Hills Police Department.

In the second call to Sunset Hills 911, Murdick told the dispatcher his location, and the dispatcher asked him if he was the bicyclist who had been hit by a car.

When the dispatcher asked if Murdick had any injuries, he replied, "I'm fine. The guy that ran me off the road's here."

"We will be there shortly — do not have words with the driver," the dispatcher replied, before the call ends.

Updates to this story will be posted as they become available. Look for complete coverage in the Aug. 7 print edition of the Call.

Jgrooms
08-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Any update on the mayor's roads?

buldogge
08-04-2014, 03:15 PM
I believe the investigation has been turned over to STL County (Sunset hills is 1 of 90municipalities within STL County)...so I suppose there will be some sitting and waiting, now.

There were 2 or 3 support rides and a protest @ Sunset Hills city hall/PD on Saturday, as well.

-Mark

Any update on the mayor's roads?

miguel
08-04-2014, 03:21 PM
The cyclist has tats - clearly he's a low-life and not to be trusted.
wait
the cyclist has tattoos?
this is just a whole nother level

Waldo
08-04-2014, 05:11 PM
wait
the cyclist has tattoos?
this is just a whole nother level

Especially if it's an Ironman tattoo.

Louis
08-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Especially if it's an Ironman tattoo.

He might, but that isn't what I can see from here:

http://cbsstlouis.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/img_7387.jpeg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

Steve in SLO
08-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Sheesh...at least put a shirt with a collar on for the press conference.

josephr
08-27-2014, 02:11 PM
with all the action in Ferguson, wondering if anything ever came of this?

PQJ
08-27-2014, 02:26 PM

Maybe he was channeling his inner Roman Maroni and wanted to convey a "this is fargin' war" vibe.

buldogge
08-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Maybe he's sending the message..."it doesn't matter what I'm wearing, or what my appearance is, you don't get to hit me".

Heck, it could be morphed into a Ferguson thread, on that note!

:help:

-Mark in St. Louis

Maybe he was channeling his inner Roman Maroni and wanted to convey a "this is fargin' war" vibe.

Tony Edwards
08-27-2014, 04:17 PM
with all the action in Ferguson, wondering if anything ever came of this?

I would guess Mayor Furrer is relieved to have something local take the attention away from this story. It's kind of like how Gary Condit fell off the radar after 9/11 after being the biggest story in the news during the summer of 2001 (though of course I am not implying that the recent MO stories are of similar gravity to those in 2001).

azrider
10-01-2014, 03:27 PM
St.Loius Mayor charged with assault, property damage.

Article:
http://fox2now.com/2014/10/01/sunset-hills-mayor-charged-with-assault-property-damage/

ultraman6970
10-01-2014, 04:00 PM
The biggest problem is that he apparently he changed the story twice? It would have been better for him just confess, pay the dude under the table to settle the situation forever and probably everything would have been forgotten already.

Wonder if they had cameras at the restaurant, who knows if a waitress will end up talking at some point, after all was the owner of the restaurant the one that has been talking.

buldogge
10-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Just a clarification…The Mayor of St. Louis (Francis Slay) was not charged with anything…this is the Mayor of Sunset Hills, MO (a suburb of St. Louis)…Mark Furrer, who has been charged.

-Mark in St. Louis

St.Loius Mayor charged with assault, property damage.

Article:
http://fox2now.com/2014/10/01/sunset-hills-mayor-charged-with-assault-property-damage/

azrider
10-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Just a clarification…The Mayor of St. Louis (Francis Slay) was not charged with anything…this is the Mayor of Sunset Hills, MO (a suburb of St. Louis)…Mark Furrer, who has been charged.

-Mark in St. Louis

Yep, good catch. My bad.