PDA

View Full Version : Grand Bois Cerf, Challenge Paris Roubaix and Pasela

p nut
07-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Looking for another set of tires for my fixed gear bike. It is used for distance riding on mostly road, but occasional dirt road/singletrack here and there. I've got 25's now (Vittoria Rubino), but would like to try 28's. I'll be honest and say I picked the 3 tires above for the tan sidewalls. But also read good things about them. Wondering if the Cerf and Challenge are that much better than Pasela's. (I do understand that Pasela's could run a bit narrow than indicated). I've got 32 Pasela's on one of my bikes and it seems to ride good enough. Just checking to get some info before ordering.

Thanks.

CNY rider
07-30-2014, 05:23 AM
The Cerf's are simply outstanding.
They are the best tire I have ever ridden.

pinkshogun
07-30-2014, 06:11 AM
my GB Cypres measure 30mm wide. my 28mm paselas measure 27mm and are more flat proof and cheaper

PB tires are notorious for getting flats...never used them but have read many accounts.

jack browns measure true and roll well as do rolly pollys

sparky33
07-30-2014, 06:22 AM

Agreed.

However, the Cerf tread is thin so you might go with a thicker tire like the Pasela if you are the fixie skidding sort.

marciero
07-30-2014, 06:54 AM

Have you ridden/would you rate them better than Schwalbe Ultremo 28? I am a big fan of those tires, though the threads have tendency to come loose. Have not tried Cerf. I like GB Cypress but dont consider that comparable tire since it's significantly wider and you loose some response and road feel.

p nut
07-30-2014, 07:53 AM
my GB Cypres measure 30mm wide. my 28mm paselas measure 27mm and are more flat proof and cheaper

PB tires are notorious for getting flats...never used them but have read many accounts.

jack browns measure true and roll well as do rolly pollys

I thought all GB tires measure to at least indicated size. I've read Cerf's measure 29. Surprising to hear your 32 Cypres only measure 30. But thanks for the feedback. I've got a feeling I need to order both sets and find out for myself!

That's what I keep reading.

Agreed.

However, the Cerf tread is thin so you might go with a thicker tire like the Pasela if you are the fixie skidding sort.

I tried it once and made a fool of myself. I'll stick to regular braking. :)

jamesutiopia
07-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Compass 700x26s are nice, and basically the same as the Grand Bois tires: http://www.compasscycle.com/tires_comp_700_26.html

torquer
07-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Can't help with the comparison amongst the OP's three tires under consideration, but I just put Challenge PRs on my fixed gear and they're great.
They measure around 30mm on other rims I've mounted them on, despite the nominal 27 sizing, and work fine on my Fuji Track. May not work on a "real" track bike, but if you're considering 28s that's probably not an issue.
But I've also heard they aren't super durable, so they may not be the best choice for off-road use. Pure hearsay, but I've heard it more than once.

CNY rider
07-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Have you ridden/would you rate them better than Schwalbe Ultremo 28? I am a big fan of those tires, though the threads have tendency to come loose. Have not tried Cerf. I like GB Cypress but dont consider that comparable tire since it's significantly wider and you loose some response and road feel.

I have never ridden Schwalbe tires so I can not directly compare.