PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Silca parts

thirdgenbird
07-29-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm in need of a part that new Silca doesn't appear to offer. Does anyone know a good source? Josh, I think you are on here, if you could help it would be appreciated. My silca is in very good condition with the exception of the white plastic part that goes above the leather washer.

(Not my pic)
http://veloaficionado.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/silca-leather-pump-washer.jpg

I've got another modern pump that works great, but I want this silca working again.

Marburg
07-29-2014, 11:32 PM
I wonder if you could contact New Silca and see if he has the NOS parts from old Silca?

technicolor
07-29-2014, 11:50 PM
I wonder if you could contact New Silca and see if he has the NOS parts from old Silca?
I think that's why he mentioned "Josh". Josh is the new Silca guy.

thirdgenbird
07-29-2014, 11:51 PM
That was my first attempt.

If new silca had contact info their website, I missed it. I was hoping they (josh) would see my plea here.

Louis
07-30-2014, 12:15 AM
It's been a while since I had my Silca apart, but if the white plastic part is just a spacer and doesn't require tight tolerances you ought to be able to make something similar yourself. Cutting off the end of a wooden dowel of the same diameter would be easy, but I don't know how long it would hold up.

oliver1850
07-30-2014, 12:25 AM
I need the leather for mine. I'll trade you my plastic piece for your leather.

Then we'll both be happy, right?

Louis
07-30-2014, 12:32 AM

But then won't the OP be out the leather part?

cekte
07-30-2014, 12:40 AM
Yes, I agree with Louis. It seems as if fashioning a replacement out of wood or plastic would likely be the easiest and quickest option if you cannot find a donor part. I have not seen those available anywhere else other than from a parts pump.

The leather plunger pieces are luckily fairly easy to find, however.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=34169

oliver1850
07-30-2014, 12:41 AM
SHUT UP Louis

Louis
07-30-2014, 12:52 AM
SHUT UP Louis

Fat chance of that happening. ;)

oliver1850
07-30-2014, 01:26 AM
Casey, check Excelsports. They always had Silca parts.

Marburg
07-30-2014, 01:41 AM
Casey, check Excelsports. They always had Silca parts.

Yeah, I guess that was my thought. Before there was a new Silca, there were Silca replacement parts in the catalog/pipeline. Are they still there and if so, where are they coming from? Maybe it's new Silca?

oldpotatoe
07-30-2014, 05:59 AM
But then won't the OP be out the leather part?

Vecchio's has the leather plunger and plastic piece. Silca before and now distribute to distributors..Euro-Asia(a distributor) has all older small bits for Silca, frame and floor, pumps.

bfd
07-30-2014, 08:40 AM
The new Silca appears to have the leather washer, but not the plastic piece. For the latest in Silca pump parts, go here:

http://silca.cc/collections/all

Good Luck! :banana::eek::confused::butt::cool:

thirdgenbird
07-30-2014, 09:29 AM

Sure! (Leather is still widely available as it's still in production)

It's been a while since I had my Silca apart, but if the white plastic part is just a spacer and doesn't require tight tolerances you ought to be able to make something similar yourself. Cutting off the end of a wooden dowel of the same diameter would be easy, but I don't know how long it would hold up.

The ID is stepped and would have to have fairly tight tolerances. It's my B plan to make one out of a more modern plastic.

Vecchio's has the leather plunger and plastic piece. Silca before and now distribute to distributors..Euro-Asia(a distributor) has all older small bits for Silca, frame and floor, pumps.

Yay!!! I will contact them. Maybe I will get a few parts to freshen it up.

Anyone know the story behind this head? I love it, but it doesn't seem common.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/bike%20parts/2011-01-03203607.jpg

Steve in SLO
07-30-2014, 09:37 AM
I have one of those heads. It is just an early attempt at a camlock Presta valve pump head. Mine never worked very well, and I replaced it with a traditional head shortly after I bought it.

thirdgenbird
07-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Mine has been the most leak proof head I've used.