PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Tubing

pjmsj21
07-29-2014, 02:45 PM
I have a question for you Serotta experts and it pertains to a recent purchase of a Concours likely made in or around 2005/6.

First of all I love the bike and while it was not built for me, it fits better than my custom Gunnar that was built for me.

But my question pertains to the tubesets that Serotta used.

The fork is a F3 6.5 layup. The frame size is technically a 62 but it is almost identical in size other than top tube to my Fierrte 60cm.

Is it likely that the tubeset used was an equivalent 6.5 tubeset? Or put another way does the stiffness of the fork correlate to the likely stiffness of the tubes that were spec'd in the frame?

I have a Fierte IT with an 8.5 and to be honest I can't tell a difference in ride quality between the 6.5 and the 8.5 other than maybe a tiny bit more road feel but even then, I am really not sure that is real.

Any quick thoughts?

RedRider
07-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Would you know if that is the original fork? It would have been unusual for a frame that size to be spec'd with a 6.5 fork unless special request.

pjmsj21
07-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately I don't know if the fork was original with the frame. While I know Serotta promoted the idea that there were almost unlimited tubing combinations, I recall seeing that there were basically two sizes of chain stays. How about the other basic real world frame tube combinations?

happycampyer
07-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately I don't know if the fork was original with the frame. While I know Serotta promoted the idea that there were almost unlimited tubing combinations, I recall seeing that there were basically two sizes of chain stays. How about the other basic real world frame tube combinations?I have a Legend that was built for me, another that wasn't (built for Scott H at the factory) and an Ottrott that is also secondhand (by way of Joachim and akelman), and the chainstays are each different (the custom-to-me Legend is in the middle), so there were more than just two tube sizes, afaict.

I was also going to question whether that fork was original to that frame. Even if the 8.5 was originally spec'd, I suspect that it will still ride fine with the 6.5 (assuming the rake is correct). What are the dimensions of the tubing (measure at both ends to take into account the swaging)?

pjmsj21
07-29-2014, 04:49 PM
I have a Legend that was built for me, another that wasn't (built for Scott H at the factory) and an Ottrott that is also secondhand (by way of Joachim and akelman), and the chainstays are each different (the custom-to-me Legend is in the middle), so there were more than just two tube sizes, afaict.

I was also going to question whether that fork was original to that frame. Even if the 8.5 was originally spec'd, I suspect that it will still ride fine with the 6.5 (assuming the rake is correct). What are the dimensions of the tubing (measure at both ends to take into account the swaging)?

Here are some camera phone photos...my apologies. I guess the motive behind all of this is similar to genieology but rather than trying to understand the history of my family (which I know...kind of) , I am trying to understand the history of this great frame and what it is made of from a tubing perspective.

So any help is as always greatly appreciated from the Serotta experts.

pjmsj21
07-29-2014, 10:24 PM
Any thoughts from our Serotta historians......or frequent purchasers?

jbrainin
07-29-2014, 10:31 PM
The Concours was made from double butted ti tube sets whereas the Legend used triple butted tubes. The Concours was the best bang for the buck model Serotta offered ~2006.

Ahneida Ride
07-29-2014, 11:03 PM
The Concours was the best bang for the buck model Serotta offered ~2006.

Mr. Kelly Bedford agrees ! Best bang for the buck !

dave thompson
07-29-2014, 11:48 PM
Here are some camera phone photos...my apologies. I guess the motive behind all of this is similar to genieology but rather than trying to understand the history of my family (which I know...kind of) , I am trying to understand the history of this great frame and what it is made of from a tubing perspective.

So any help is as always greatly appreciated from the Serotta experts.

Some Concours info in the 2006 Serota catalog here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=82627