PDA

View Full Version : Gunnar/Ridley/??? Cross

William
02-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Does anyone here have ride time on or experience on a Gunnar Cross Hairs to share?

I'm helping one of my guys look for a cross bike and he's about ready to drop some coin (though not looking to drop large $$ on first cross bike). My local lbs of choice has a new 05 in the silver to black fade. It's outfitted with a mix of 105 and FSA components. Had a good wheel set as well. I'll have to visit on the weekend to get the specifics since I don't remember everything he said to me...I was on the hwy when he called me.

One of my forum buddies in the Boston area said he could set him up on a Ridley, though I don't remember grouppo specifics since that was a while back. I'll need to call him back. Anyway, any info would be much appreciated.

That makes three of us about to start gearing up for cross. One, and possibly to Zanks plus a......

William (putting together the "Combative Cross Team") :banana:

Argos
02-28-2006, 10:01 AM
The Gunnars are nice bikes. Well thought out geometry (which is to say really that it doesn't suck), and from the few that I know that have them... a Fracken' good time. That, though, could be because they are riding 'cross bikes, which is inherently fun anytime outside of 'Cross season.

I like the Ridley a lot. If I knew where I could get a good price on one, I'd get one for next season, as I'm looking for a geared cross bike, myself. That said, depending on how many coke cans I recycle this summer, maybe I'll get a nice CDA cross. We will see. If I had an in with the Ridley though, That would be my next step on the path to enlightenment v. the Gunnar. Nothing personal, Gunnar.

coylifut
02-28-2006, 10:52 AM
The problem with alloy cross bikes is they have replaceable derailleur hangers. It doesn't seem to take much in the form of mud, leaves, pine needles...to tweak or break these things. When I was riding alloy I went through a few of them a year and it wasn't from laying the bike down. They can go catastrophically and send the rear mech through the spokes or they can twist causing skipping. If you are a pro, no problem - you go through the pit, get another bike and off you go. However, if it's your own $ reliability is more important.

Also, I’d likely steer clear of a cross bike with an integrated headset. Water and dirt seems to get make their in these easier than their standard counterparts.

Argos
02-28-2006, 11:12 AM
When I was riding alloy I went through a few of them a year and....

Wow. I mean even with a frame made of play-doh, that would seem like an exception, no? I mean a few per year? That musta sucked.

The first time your all like, "Whatever, technicals happen in cross."

And by the second time you totally are cursing as you've now wasted 2 entry fees, gas money, etc....

What was your reaction the third time? Man, you must have wanted to go home and kick the dog! [figuratively, Sandy, not literally]

That sucks.

bcm119
02-28-2006, 11:27 AM
I can honestly say I love my Gunnar cross bike. But I've only been riding it for about 3 months, and most of my miles are on the road, as my rain bike. I have taken it off road on a handful of occasions though. Here are my previous posts on it:

impressions-
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=15207

picture-
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=166083&postcount=14

beungood
02-28-2006, 05:08 PM
How do the Redline Conquest Pro, Bianchi Cross Concept and a Ridley Crosswinds compare to each other?