PDA

View Full Version : Stem/cables question

CNY rider
07-27-2014, 05:33 PM
This should be a simple one:
I am going to put a 1 cm longer stem on my Goodrich.
It's a quill so I have to undo the hbars, remove the shifters.

Do I need to change the cables out for the extra 1 cm in stem length? Should I just do it anyway while I am there working?

Thanks.

jtakeda
07-27-2014, 05:39 PM

Do I need to change the cables out for the extra 1 cm in stem length? Should I just do it anyway while I am there working?

Thanks.

I'm gonna say no. But if your cable routing was extremely tight with the shorter stem you might have to.

thirdgenbird
07-27-2014, 05:53 PM
I agree with above.

I actually just went the other way. The stem stayed the same length but I went with shorter reach bars. I opted to go to the extra work of cutting the housing shorter. The reduced reach made a noticeable difference on cable length.

ultraman6970
07-27-2014, 06:17 PM
All depends on how tight the cables are. Some people cut them so short that the cant do 90 degrees turns for example.

weisan
07-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Or the cable pulls to one side and you would have a hard time riding no-hands.

lil_champ
07-27-2014, 11:42 PM
1cm shouldn't be a problem. As long as you can turn the bars to each side all the way, without the housing pulling too tight around the headtube, you're good to go.

ColnagoFan
07-28-2014, 06:10 AM
If it's been a while since you've replaced the cables & housing, it might be a good excuse to do that.

oldpotatoe
07-28-2014, 06:20 AM

Thanks.

Maybe...if they are on the longish side now..then no. How long have they been in there? 6600/7800/9000 shifters? maybe good to check to make sure they aren't fraying.

CNY rider
07-28-2014, 07:00 AM
Athena 11, they are over a year old so I am going to at least check them over carefully and won't take much to make me replace them.
I will see if they are long enough and not impeding the bars as well.

Thanks everyone.

fuzzalow
07-28-2014, 07:34 AM
^For a minor 1cm stem length adjustment, you will almost certainly be OK with the cable/housing lengths as is. Unless you also jack up the bar height too in the process from the convenience of running a quill.

I run tight cable lengths in getting that ProTour front end effect and have gone up 2cm in stem length with no handling issues or an adverse effect on the steering travel. The cabling will be more snug at full steering lock but, unless crashing, the bike is never at full lock.

shovelhd
07-28-2014, 08:15 AM
My bars go to almost full lock when the bike is laid down in the back of my car. Something to consider.