PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Kickr. Need an iphone?

makoti
07-27-2014, 02:22 PM
As it sez...
Do I need an iphone/pad to do the initial setup? I don't have either. The website says "Grab an iphone!". I know that they now have android apps, but I've heard they are sketchy at best. I plan to use it with PerfPro, if that makes any difference.
Thanks for the guidance.

dekindy
07-27-2014, 02:57 PM
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/support-windows-industry.html

The Kickr comes with the software loaded and Ant+ ready. You just need the Apple to update so if it comes with the current version you are golden. If you need an update then as far as I know it still requires an Apple application.

Don't forget you need Ant+ so the older model Garmin sensor is not compatible.

makoti
07-27-2014, 03:17 PM
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/support-windows-industry.html

The Kickr comes with the software loaded and Ant+ ready. You just need the Apple to update so if it comes with the current version you are golden. If you need an update then as far as I know it still requires an Apple application.

Don't forget you need Ant+ so the older model Garmin sensor is not compatible.

I'm using a Garmin 500 & a Suunto (sp?) dongle to match up with perfpro. Should work, yes?

hudsonp
07-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Have you considered the new Sigma ROX 10.0? Nice cpu for the money.

makoti
07-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Have you considered the new Sigma ROX 10.0? Nice cpu for the money.

Don't think I need one of those. Happy with the Garmin.

dekindy
07-27-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm using a Garmin 500 & a Suunto (sp?) dongle to match up with perfpro. Should work, yes?

I just remember that my older Garmin Ant dongle that works with TrainerRoad.com will not work with the Kickr. Something about the old dongle being 4-Channel versus 8-channel, maybe, if I remember correctly. Anyway I knew that a new dongle would be needed if I purchased a Kickr.

Not sure if older Suunto dongles have the same issue as the Garmin or if all new Garmin and Suunto models are compatible. Just know that it is an issue and a detail I would have to verify when purchasing a new dongle. Maybe ancient history now but with my luck I would purchase a New dongle and it would be Old Stock that was not compatible with the Kickr Ant+ so made note of it.

If you do need to purchase new the Suunto is recommended by DCRainmaker and gets the best reviews by far on Amazon.

makoti
07-27-2014, 10:22 PM
If you do need to purchase new the Suunto is recommended by DCRainmaker and gets the best reviews by far on Amazon.

Good news! That's the one I bought last year, so I should be set with that.