PDA

View Full Version : PSA Veloflex Master

bobswire
07-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Western Bike Works have the Veloflex Master 25mm for 43.11 plus today 20% off code "FLASH20" = $78.11 delivered a set.
http://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/veloflex-master-clincher-road-tire

Columbus SLX
07-27-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks man! Ordered 4...

ctcyclistbob
07-27-2014, 04:18 PM
Nice deal and thanks for the post. They also have good prices on Vredestein Tricomp:
http://www.westernbikeworks.com/search?sale=0714vred

Just noticed that FLASH20 doesn't work, but still cheap.

Columbus SLX
07-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Odd, the code seemed to work for me, came in at $39 apiece.

ctcyclistbob
07-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Odd, the code seemed to work for me, came in at $39 apiece.

I meant the code didn't work with the Vredesteins, but does with the Veloflex.

Mike V
07-27-2014, 10:44 PM
Thank you very much. Code worked for me.

stephenmarklay
07-27-2014, 11:28 PM
I ordered a set too. Thanks.

OtayBW
07-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Me too, and a couple of Vredsteine latex tubes - never tried latex before. We'll see if I feel like a chump for spending the $$ on these.....

Thanks for the tip.

gearguywb
07-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Thanks for posting this!

redir
07-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Anyone ever use these before? I love Veloflex tubulars but have not tried clinchers. This is odd:

Veloflex states that these tires are not compatible with carbon rims.

Any idea why that would be? Just curious since my carbon wheels are tubular anyway. But I would not mind trying these out on clinchers.

eBAUMANN
07-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Anyone ever use these before? I love Veloflex tubulars but have not tried clinchers. This is odd:

Any idea why that would be? Just curious since my carbon wheels are tubular anyway. But I would not mind trying these out on clinchers.

that is interesting…braking heat buildup effecting the tire sidewall maybe?

thirdgenbird
07-28-2014, 11:37 AM

I'm guessing it is to remove their liability. Many would argue no clincher is carbon compatible.

torquer
07-28-2014, 12:12 PM
I posted the following in a thread about these tires over in the General Discussion area:
From the BTD web page:
"Note: Some models of carbon fiber wheels have a sharp or inconsistent edge in the bead seat area, which could cause cuts in the casing of delicate Veloflex clinchers, potentially compromising the tires over time. Because they are not able to inspect every rim for such inconsistencies, Veloflex states that these tires are not compatible with carbon rims."
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=152621
At least one other web vendor has these on sale, too, but WesternBikeWorks' looks like the best price I've seen.

redir
07-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Ah ok I see.

Just ordered 3, thanks for the tip.

bobswire
07-28-2014, 04:47 PM
I just went and ordered a set myself. I haven't rode them for years but loved them back when they were called Pave and were 22mm. What surprises me is I paid the same price over 12 years ago as I did today. Thought I better before you guys bought them all up. :)

ultratoad
07-28-2014, 07:57 PM

Picked up 4.... Thanks for the heads up....
Never heard of these being non-compatible with carbon rims before....
I have been using them for years on Mavic and Reynolds carbon clinchers with 0 problems....

redir
07-31-2014, 08:39 AM
Got mine in yesterday and rode them this morning for the first time. I have to say I am very impressed with these tires. I need to play around a bit more with pressure to make them even feel better but so far these are the best feeling clinchers I think I've ever ridden on. Granted I only tested for 20 miles but I pushed corners and hit bumps and so on and I just think they are the Bee's Knees especially at that price. Time will tell on how they wear and so on but again, very impressed.

I've been riding Veloflex tubulars for many many years so I guess it's to be expected that you get good quality.

bobswire
07-31-2014, 08:56 AM
Got mine in yesterday and rode them this morning for the first time. I have to say I am very impressed with these tires. I need to play around a bit more with pressure to make them even feel better but so far these are the best feeling clinchers I think I've ever ridden on. Granted I only tested for 20 miles but I pushed corners and hit bumps and so on and I just think they are the Bee's Knees especially at that price. Time will tell on how they wear and so on but again, very impressed.

I've been riding Veloflex tubulars for many many years so I guess it's to be expected that you get good quality.

Good to hear,mine came yesterday too but will save mine for better roads than through the streets of San Francisco before using them.

p nut
07-31-2014, 09:04 AM
Missed out but $88 isn't bad, either.

p nut
07-31-2014, 12:02 PM
redir - Did you get the 23 or 25's? Would you mind sharing the actual width? Been reading they measure small.

denapista
07-31-2014, 01:04 PM
This is my go to tire. I've never measured the 25c tire, but have seen online imagery of them actually measuring to about 24mm. So buttery smooth on smooth roads. I run my tires at around 90psi and I weigh 173lbs.

I should have jumped on that deal the other day, but I'm forever spending money on bike stuff. When will it stop?

redir
07-31-2014, 02:56 PM
redir - Did you get the 23 or 25's? Would you mind sharing the actual width? Been reading they measure small.

I got the 25's and I have not measured them but by look they do seem a bit smaller than some of the other 25's I have. At the same time they look bigger than most of the 23's I've used too, Mich Pro Race being the exception as they run big.

If I remember I'll measure tonight.

bobswire
07-31-2014, 04:49 PM
This is my go to tire. I've never measured the 25c tire, but have seen online imagery of them actually measuring to about 24mm. So buttery smooth on smooth roads. I run my tires at around 90psi and I weigh 173lbs.

I should have jumped on that deal the other day, but I'm forever spending money on bike stuff. When will it stop?

Let's see,I'm going on 70 years old and still going at it though not at such a fever pitch. I easily have put more money into cycling (not counting real estate) than any other hobby or pursuit such as cars, motorcycles, drugs ( hey I was part of the summer of love generation). I actually sold a VW Bug in the 70's to buy a Jack Taylor CX bike for $800, people thought I was nuts, I was making $2.50 at the time as a Bail Bondsman. If I wrote of a large Bail like $25,000 or so I'd get small bonus.

stephenmarklay
07-31-2014, 10:28 PM
I got mine yesterday. Also yesterday Biketiresdirect had them on the same sale. I kind of think they may be the same reseller or something.

Anyway I will stow them away for a bit. I think they will be better for the 175 pound me rather than the 192 pound me.

redir
08-01-2014, 09:29 AM

On my rims they measured 23.4mm. On wider rims they might fill out though IDK?

None the less they are incredibly good tires and frankly I don't think I'll buy another clincher again, they are that good. From what I understand they don't last long, similiar to good tubulars, but that's why they feel so good on the road. And for the price even when they are not on sale they rival Continental and Mich and others.

p nut
08-01-2014, 09:32 AM
On my rims they measured 23.4mm. On wider rims they might fill out though IDK?

None the less they are incredibly good tires and frankly I don't think I'll buy another clincher again, they are that good. From what I understand they don't last long, similiar to good tubulars, but that's why they feel so good on the road. And for the price even when they are not on sale they rival Continental and Mich and others.

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a set. Should be here soon.

Columbus SLX
08-01-2014, 10:01 AM
FWIW my Master 23s are pretty close at pressure (about 100psi):
22.8 on 20mm rims
23.9 on 23mm rims

torquer
08-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Ordered a pair from Western Bike Works early this week; standard shipping was free, but only about two bucks more for expedited USPS service (delivery by Thursday, instead of the following Monday), so I splurged.
Actually arrived on Wednesday!
Now I have to decide, do I mount them and ride them in the rain this weekend?