PDA

View Full Version : TdF....left wanting

firerescuefin
07-27-2014, 08:08 AM
I have no negative feelings towards Nibali. Certainly worthy.

....But I felt like I was watching a professional race against semi/neo pros. Martin's performances were truly extraordinary, but other than that, can't remember being more disappointed. Hopefully the Vuelta will be better.

or maybe its a me problem.

gearguywb
07-27-2014, 08:13 AM
I enjoyed this year for the individual efforts. Martin soloing to a stage win. Watching a 24yo make it onto the podium next to an ex mountain biker. Etc.

It was anti-climactic for the win.

Richard
07-27-2014, 08:15 AM
There was some interesting racing, but when you lose 2 out of 3 "real" contenders early, the outcome was never in doubt and that makes for an anticlimactic event.

weisan
07-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Fire-pal, I respect your viewpoint and I can see where you are coming from. My buddy expressed a similar view in an email to me recently. I wrote back...

>>Dumoulin and Martin are heads and shoulders over everyone else. You could tell just by looking at their rock solid position, almost zero movement in the upper body, the only thing moving is the two pistons pumping up and down the pedals. And they maintained that position even going uphill. That's good form. Other riders are all over the place, can't even pick up good line on the road to follow. Little things like these make the world of difference. Seconds become minutes over a distance that stretches over an hour.

I am no respecter of men. Past results do not guarantee success. So, I don't really care if Cantador or Froome are out of the race or their absence will make any difference. It's a three weeks race. You got to be good day in day out. These guys were out because they were not consistent. Call it bad luck if you like but to me, they were out because they were out.

When Froome and Cantador crashed out of the race, I have to consciously make a mental switch. After I did, I think I enjoyed the tour so much more, perhaps more than recent memory. Just my two cents.

Gummee
07-27-2014, 08:23 AM
I'll give you that the race for yellow was kind of a snooze-fest after Nibali got the jersey back.

...but...

The fight behind him was probably the best Tour I've seen in a long time. The drama of 'who's gonna crack?' 'who's gonna attack?' etc were great

M

dekindy
07-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Complain about doping. Complain about the best cyclists in the World not being exciting enough. Guess the sport is dead.

Climb01742
07-27-2014, 08:31 AM
For me, the Tour is more than the fight for the yellow jersey. I really enjoyed this years race, more even than many recent years. The racing seemed very open without one team controlling stages. Lots of great individual stages, especially stage 5. And there was lots of drama fighting for places 2 thru 5. Yes, we didn't have 3 guys duking it out for yellow but as a total race, I dug this year. Just my 2 cents. But I get why we might miss AC and CF not making it a better battle for yellow.

firerescuefin
07-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Hard for me to get excited over a bunch of guys fighting for a podium that you wouldn't normally see there, but I'm genuinely happy for French cycling.

I just wasn't sure if I was seeing greatness or goodness in the midst of mediocrity.

Most memorable performance was Martin's road stage win...and what he did yesterday was obscene.

Cav going out in stage 1 was a big blow from an entertainment perspective (for me)

I'll give you that the race for yellow was kind of a snooze-fest after Nibali got the jersey back.

...but...

The fight behind him was probably the best Tour I've seen in a long time. The drama of 'who's gonna crack?' 'who's gonna attack?' etc were great

M

firerescuefin
07-27-2014, 08:34 AM
Complain about doping. Complain about the best cyclists in the World not being exciting enough. Guess the sport is dead.

Not what I was saying at all.

texbike
07-27-2014, 08:39 AM
I have no negative feelings towards Nibali. Certainly worthy.

....But I felt like I was watching a professional race against semi/neo pros. Martin's performances were truly extraordinary, but other than that, can't remember being more disappointed. Hopefully the Vuelta will be better.

or maybe its a me problem.

Perhaps TeJay was right in his interview after Stage 5 when he said "You guys got your drama but it takes the whole race down a notch when you have a big favourite who is now out. In theory it can make the race less exciting towards the end". ;)

Personally I thought it was a good race but definitely think the 1st half was more entertaining to watch.

Texbike

fiataccompli
07-27-2014, 08:50 AM
As a drama to watch (and appreciate as a cyclist), the racing for 2nd kept it interesting. ..and perhaps more so than if all of the anticipated stars of the race bad not abandoned. Maybe that's just me...I like things shaken up a bit and I'm not much into fan/star stuff anyway, so I like a good competition even if it's a heartfelt race for 6th place. I enjoyed watching/keeping up this year.

djg
07-27-2014, 09:04 AM
I can see the point of view -- we've had some great duels for the yellow, especially in the mystery years that history has forgotten, and this year Nibali owned the race -- no real challengers. But it's hard to take anything away from him -- great riding as well as consistent riding, and I'm not going to assume that the top step would have been different with Froome or Contador in the mix until the end.

There was a good race for second, and the podium generally, and there were some really fine rides from people like Majka, Martin, etc. I got my money's worth.

Seramount
07-27-2014, 09:14 AM
For me, the Tour is more than the fight for the yellow jersey. I really enjoyed this years race, more even than many recent years. The racing seemed very open without one team controlling stages. Lots of great individual stages, especially stage 5. And there was lots of drama fighting for places 2 thru 5.

this^^.

I found this Tour to be very entertaining...the drama of big names being eliminated, weather, cobbles, karma slapping Cav and several selfie-taking simpletons...

and watching AC ride with a broken leg actually elevated him out of my Love-to-Hate list.

sad that it's all ending...

MattTuck
07-27-2014, 09:16 AM
Remember this thread? (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=144902)

I think my general sentiment remains the same. The level of training, preparation and nutrition that these guys are at, there is very little that big mountain stages are going to tell you other than watts/kg.

To me, the tour de watts/kg is not all that interesting when contested over several weeks... if only because when you test on the same criteria again and again, you'll wind up with the same person winning (or 2 or 3 people) who dominate in that dimension.

I actually give lots of props to Nibali for his ride on the cobbles stage.

Yeah, Froome and Contador were out, but I wasn't cheering for either of them -- and I'm not sure you can fault the organizers for that.

My solution is to introduce as many dimensions for winning as possible, and keep them as balanced as possible so that the tour doesn't become a race for climbers or a race for time trialists. If you had 5 people within 2 minutes of the race leader in Paris, that would be great!

My recipe for an exciting tour.

2 individual time trials. one approx 20km, one longer
1 or 2 team time trials
A ride involving the kapelmuur since it is out of Flanders and is an iconic climb. Maybe a few other of the cobbled climbs of Flanders.
2-3 mountain top finishes.
2-3 intermediate mountain/punchy hills

The ultimate goal is to make GC splits likely on each of these stages, but keep the 'dimension of victory' varied enough that the race doesn't doesn't favor a particular discipline too much. Also, so the time gaps are not huge -- allowing for more people close to the leader, and thus a more exciting race.

Md3000
07-27-2014, 10:07 AM
Matt,
I love mountains and mountain stages but I can see your point. In the Tour of this year, I think you partially got what you wanted. Nibali won a punchy, exciting stage 2 in England, he won on the cobbles of stage 5, he won a stage in the Alps and one in the Pyrenees, AND he placed 4th in the ITT. That's a great allround achievement. He is now in the very small list of illustrious riders that won all three Grand Tours.

Suppose Froome (or Contador) would've won this Tour, I don't think we would've seen 4 wins (probably 1 or 2 mountain tops), and certainly not such an allround display. Also there was plenty of movement in the GC, until the very last day. The Frenchies changed places, the two Belkins lost miserably and Tejay and König battled their way up the GC.

Will Nibbles go on to win it another 4-5 times? Probably not, but then again, I wouldn't mind a TdF that has a different winner every year, it just indicates the talent pool is large and the competition is good. If we'd have another superstar winning it multiple times in a row we'd all be complaining the Tour is boring, dominance, tailored for the winner, etc etc.

bobswire
07-27-2014, 10:20 AM
Top five GC contenders in the world. In no particular order (in this point in time).

Nibali
Contador
Froome
Quintana
+ Honorable mention Wiggins

Minus the last 4 names what are you left with? Anyway I'm happy for the French

firerescuefin
07-27-2014, 12:19 PM
I could get on board with this.

To me, the tour de watts/kg is not all that interesting when contested over several weeks...

My recipe for an exciting tour.

2 individual time trials. one approx 20km, one longer
1 or 2 team time trials
A ride involving the kapelmuur since it is out of Flanders and is an iconic climb. Maybe a few other of the cobbled climbs of Flanders.
2-3 mountain top finishes.
2-3 intermediate mountain/punchy hills

The ultimate goal is to make GC splits likely on each of these stages, but keep the 'dimension of victory' varied enough that the race doesn't doesn't favor a particular discipline too much. Also, so the time gaps are not huge -- allowing for more people close to the leader, and thus a more exciting race.

thwart
07-27-2014, 12:50 PM
I think Nibali rode a great, courageous tour. Did not play it safe when he easily could have. A deserving champion, no doubt.

But take the TdF, subtract Cavendish, Froome and Contador… of course the total experience is a bit diminished.

jlwdm
07-27-2014, 01:17 PM
For me, the Tour is more than the fight for the yellow jersey. I really enjoyed this years race, more even than many recent years. The racing seemed very open without one team controlling stages. Lots of great individual stages, especially stage 5. And there was lots of drama fighting for places 2 thru 5. Yes, we didn't have 3 guys duking it out for yellow but as a total race, I dug this year. Just my 2 cents. But I get why we might miss AC and CF not making it a better battle for yellow.

+1

This is the biggest race of the year and the hardest racing. There was plenty to enjoy on every stage.

Jeff

firerescuefin
07-27-2014, 01:21 PM
The rest of the peleton was incapable of even putting an uncomfortable look on his face....literally.

I think Nibali rode a great, courageous tour. Did not play it safe when he easily could have. A deserving champion, no doubt.

But take the TdF, subtract Cavendish, Froome and Contador… of course the total experience is a bit diminished.

thwart
07-27-2014, 02:36 PM
The rest of the peleton was incapable of even putting an uncomfortable look on his face....literally.

No, maybe not.

But this old dude apparently forced him to go for it on the Hautacam earlier than most anyone thought was wise.

http://commdiginews.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Stage18-Nibali-Horner.jpg

shovelhd
07-27-2014, 02:36 PM
I enjoyed watching Nibali and Martin dominate, the sprints being up for grabs, and Teejay fighting for the podium.

cnighbor1
07-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Nibali rode the cobbles in November 2013 to be able to gain time on the other big names
It worked. He was ahead by over 2 minutes at the end of the cobble stage.
It was all over by than. Froom and countder hadn't even fallen yet

Bstone
07-27-2014, 03:29 PM
You can only beat the guys who are there, and more importantly, Nabili won with style.

Very deserving and classy guy.

Remember the Indurain years? Boring.

Seemed like a nice guy, but. Boring.

CunegoFan
07-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Top of the GC was a bust but that is par for the course at the Tour. 2nd - 6th was a real contest.

I wonder where I can make a bet that Peraud will eventually inherit the win. :) Karma almost demands it.

Ozrider
07-27-2014, 07:03 PM
@firerescuefin - how was it any more disappointing than watching Sky dominate from start to finish?

BSBD
07-27-2014, 07:47 PM
I enjoyed this year for the individual efforts. Martin soloing to a stage win. Watching a 24yo make it onto the podium next to an ex mountain biker. Etc.

It was anti-climactic for the win.

Martin's solo effort was fantastic to watch. Then to watch him the day after give it all for Kwiatkowski.

harryblack
07-27-2014, 08:03 PM
It was an excellent Tour; it's not Nibs fault the other clowns + Contador (whom I like) crashed out... Compare any stage 2014 to ** every ** garbage stage of the Tour of Colorado (yuk yuk yuk) combined and what's there to complain about? I'm not that old but I was a young cycling fan watching superdoper Indurain year after year-- you want DULL, though the fact the coverage we got in the States then was so limited you couldn't really get burnt out on it.

Also, if you want Le Tour to be more exciting day to day, hour to hour, listen to, watch Eurosport, not the pathetic Phil, Paul, Roll etc.

The fact that Tinkoff had such a strong team this year makes Berto's absence that much more glaring but otherwise, nothing to complain about. Also, it's GREAT we haven't had to suffer the banal sprinters teams a la Petacchi & if the TdF never did another team time trial I'd cheer that too.

93legendti
07-27-2014, 08:25 PM
It's entertainment and I was entertained. You don't get many TdF's decided on the 2nd to last day with a TT win by the 2nd place rider.

gasman
07-27-2014, 09:28 PM
I enjoyed it myself. While nobody could challenge Nibbbles, nobody could challenge Indurain or Armstrong for that matter. it was exciting to watch who was going to take the stage win and I was cheering Tony Martin on his day.

cmg
07-27-2014, 10:52 PM
great tour, Nibali was the strongest. Froome and contrador were there, they did race, they lost. with the weather, the climbs and cobbles it had all. the rolling chess game was a fun watch.

rustychisel
07-27-2014, 11:15 PM
great tour, Nibali was the strongest. Froome and contrador were there, they did race, they lost. with the weather, the climbs and cobbles it had all. the rolling chess game was a fun watch.

+ 1

the fight for white and the fight for spots was engrossing

jimoots
07-27-2014, 11:47 PM
IMHO I thought it was a pretty exciting tour.

Action packed and extremely hairy early on. Like they were riding on ice. And I mean who would have scripted both Froome and Contador hitting the abort button. Let alone it being due to Froome confirming rumours of his improved bike handling and crashing half a dozen times (ok I exaggerate)... and all the drama around Contador's bike not snapping.

Then there was the 'will he, won't he' discussion around Richie Porte and his opportunity to make some lemonade. Of course he swiftly put an end to that discussion, but as an Australian it was still a nice discussion to have.

And even after Nibali's grip on the tour was rock solid, there were some great contests in the final stages and a number of veritable nail biters.

- Bauer losing out in the final moments of Stage 15
- Majka winning a couple of stages when in any other tour he would have been working for Contador
- Roger's win in Stage 16 was nice, maybe just cause I'm an Aussie. And same as Majka. Rogers would have been working for Contador in other circumstances.
- In Stage 19, Navardauskas winning due to a fortunate turn of events, with the main contenders for the sprint being affected by a crash.

But yeah. Not a bad tour. I enjoyed it.

enr1co
07-27-2014, 11:51 PM

Fantastic and exciting TdF! The favored contenders were all there at the start and unfortunately just wasnt in the cards for them. The weather crashes, sickness, jackass spectators, good or bad luck may have been more extreme this year but thats just part of bike racing.

Most all of the riders selected for the tour are best of the best and in top form and it was great to see those step up when their designated leaders fell away.

Nibali and his team were solid and consistent for these three weeks in July against formidable pros- not semi or neo, and they are certainly worthy of the win this year.

PQJ
07-28-2014, 05:32 AM
The races for yellow and green were over before they hit the first set of big mountains, and we ended up with two guys on the podium essentially by default. How is that exciting? Yeah, watching them pedal through France for 3 weeks is entertaining, and Nibs is a worthy champion, but this was one of the least compelling tours I can remember. And it came on the heels of two other, pretty boring tours. Like the OP, I'm left wanting ... an exciting Vuelta.