PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Holder Bosses and Location

mdeeds71
07-26-2014, 12:12 PM
There is something that has baffled me since I took delivery of my Bedford. From the explanation I got it makes sense but still looks odd.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=152544

The seat tube water bosses…way down the tube…but from my understanding it is clearance to shoulder the bike.

Anyone seen other CX bikes like this?

I don't plan on placing a bottle anyways.

jtakeda
07-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Im certain Bedford has made enough bikes that he knows exactly where to put bottle bosses for each type of frame.

This was 100% intentional and yes I've seen it before.

mdeeds71
07-26-2014, 12:22 PM
I know it was intentional but I have seen only 1 other like this…somewhere here on the forums and I think it was a spooky or such.

Peter P.
07-26-2014, 12:35 PM
The explanation "for shouldering the bike" doesn't make much sense to me.

Anyone racing cyclocross will likely have no bottle cages on the frame to get in the way.

If I was told it was for a lower center of gravity with a full bottle, I'd be more inclined to believe it.

I've seen it done before on road bikes and always thought it made sense as long as the rider didn't have to overextend to reach the bottle, and neither the cage nor the bottle was in contact with anything else.

sokyroadie
07-26-2014, 01:08 PM
The Serotta cross I just sold is the same way.

Jeff

mdeeds71
07-26-2014, 01:13 PM
That would make sense since this is a Bedford and that Suisse Cross is probably one of his creations.

Were you actually able to get a cage on it without having to bend the bracket? Mine will not clear the campy mounting collar without a bend or a different type of cage that has no connection between the screws.

None the less…going to keep the frame clean and just use a small back rig for H2O when riding recreationally and not racing.

HenryA
07-26-2014, 01:15 PM
That's where its supposed to mount.
Where else would you put it?

mdeeds71
07-26-2014, 01:20 PM
That's where its supposed to mount.
Where else would you put it?

All other bikes I own/have owned, Serotta HSG, Hors, CDA, Colorado II, IF CJ and even my wife's Colorado (52 sized frame) have the bosses above the FD band location.

Hence the question for this one being really low.

But from the example above, is a designed in difference…but it is the purpose that confuses me.

e-RICHIE
07-26-2014, 01:26 PM
But from the example above, is a designed in difference…but it is the purpose that confuses me.
I'd be more concerned with the gearing. That looks like the largest
outer ring I ever saw on a bicycle that's destined for cx racing atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:):):)
:cool::cool::cool:
;):rolleyes::p

mdeeds71
07-26-2014, 01:31 PM
36/46 stock CX11 Campy.

Recommendation?

It is the rear I am looking at going to a 12-29.

I'd be more concerned with the gearing. That looks like the largest
outer ring I ever saw on a bicycle that's destined for cx racing atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:):):)
:cool::cool::cool:
;):rolleyes::p

sokyroadie
07-26-2014, 01:31 PM
That would make sense since this is a Bedford and that Suisse Cross is probably one of his creations.

Were you actually able to get a cage on it without having to bend the bracket? Mine will not clear the campy mounting collar without a bend or a different type of cage that has no connection between the screws.

None the less…going to keep the frame clean and just use a small back rig for H2O when riding recreationally and not racing.

If you like your cages just put a spacer (use a nut from a threaded valve stem) works great and is hardly noticeable.

Jeff

mdeeds71
07-26-2014, 01:39 PM
If you like your cages just put a spacer (use a nut from a threaded valve stem) works great and is hardly noticeable.

Jeff

Good Idea!

e-RICHIE
07-26-2014, 02:07 PM
36/46 stock CX11 Campy.

Recommendation?

It is the rear I am looking at going to a 12-29.

Oh - sorry, it looks bigger.
But I know few who use or can push the 46.
Most of the guys here are topped out at 44t outers.

tigoat
07-26-2014, 03:43 PM
There is something that has baffled me since I took delivery of my Bedford. From the explanation I got it makes sense but still looks odd.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=152544

The seat tube water bosses…way down the tube…but from my understanding it is clearance to shoulder the bike.

Anyone seen other CX bikes like this?

I don't plan on placing a bottle anyways.

I hope those mounts are either welded or brazed. One reason they are down low is for some smaller frames to accommodate mounting a largest water bottle possible with some room to spare under the top tube. Since your frame is not a small frame, they could have been placed further up. Regardless, desirable or not, those mounts are low for a logical reason.

tigoat
07-26-2014, 03:49 PM

Jeff

Hope you are not serious about this suggestion, as you pay a premium for a custom made frame just for you and then happily find a workaround solution for a problem that should not have existed from the first place. The solution to the problem you suggest would be to have those mounts properly welded or brazed with protruded metal threaded inserts instead of having those flat cheesy 10c pop rivets.

Admiral Ackbar
07-26-2014, 04:13 PM
i wish more builders/companies put their bottle bosses lower, both on the ST/DT. looks much better than further up the tubes atmo

e-RICHIE
07-26-2014, 04:21 PM
i wish more builders/companies put their bottle bosses lower, both on the ST/DT. looks much better than further up the tubes atmo

I like the proportions best when the bottles and cages have a couple of mm space as they
oppose each other on the respective pipes. Mine are always the same distance up from the
bb shell. The space grows only slightly as the frames get larger. But the symmetry remains.

ps

arrange disorder

;):p;)

Peter P.
07-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Hope you are not serious about this suggestion, as you pay a premium for a custom made frame just for you and then happily find a workaround solution for a problem that should not have existed from the first place. The solution to the problem you suggest would be to have those mounts properly welded or brazed with protruded metal threaded inserts instead of having those flat cheesy 10c pop rivets.

The builder has no idea what kind of cages the owner will install on the frame, and the owner's tastes can change when it's time to replace a broken cage.

Some cages have independent mounting feet, where there's no bridge between the mounting holes that would interfere with the front derailleur clamp. This style cage doesn't need spacers, otherwise, spacers are a viable solution and there are more elegant spacers available if you choose to look for them.

Peter P.
07-26-2014, 05:16 PM
I like the proportions best when the bottles and cages have a couple of mm space as they
oppose each other on the respective pipes. Mine are always the same distance up from the
bb shell. The space grows only slightly as the frames get larger. But the symmetry remains.

ps

I agree; when the points of the cages are opposite to each other, it looks like some artistic eye was at work when the cages were being placed. While not necessary, it's to your credit that you view the frame this way.

07-26-2014, 05:17 PM
I ride two custom frames with low-mounted bottle cages. Both seat tube cages straddle the front derailleur clamp. I also have frames with them mounted higher. My frames are small, generally 50 cm c-c or so. And neither frame has rivnuts -- one is ti with threaded ti cage boss weldments, one is carbon fiber with embedded cage bosses. I have 2 mm black delrin washers as spacers and you'd never know they were there. Might ask for raised bosses next time, but I'd go for better Di2 routing first.

Unless I have a serious sloping top tube, I don't have a problem with water bottle cages. Tall bottles come out at a slight angle, traditional 16 or 20 ounce bottles come out easily. If anything, the top tube is more in the way of down tube bottles if the down tube cage isn't set low.

One bike I have with a fairly strong top tube slope (it takes out about 4 cm of seat tube height) is also a cross bike, and the slope is nice for mounts and dismounts but bad for shouldering. There's hardly any room already, and even less for shouldering. To install a frame bag for a weekend jaunt? Forget about it. The front triangle is for bottles and absolutely nothing else.

On road bikes, I generally have a horizontal or near-horizontal top tube and the bottle cages can be pretty much anywhere. There's less than an inch of difference in reach to get to either bottle cage, comparing high mount to low, so that's not much of a reason one way or another. There's 2 lbs of water about 1-1/2" lower on the frame with a low mount, which lowers the center of gravity of the whole bike with rider by about 1/8 inch. Do I care? No. I like the look of low water bottle cages and that's about as important as it gets.