PDA

View Full Version : brake choice and tire clearance serotta csi

pdxharth
07-25-2014, 01:54 PM
Well, I found a CSI in my size - the one that was on the SF craigslist with the replaced rear dropouts. It's a nice bike overall, though I wish the builder had chosen different dropouts for the repair (he used salsa dropouts with fender eyelets).

One unusual thing about the frame is the bilaminate construction. I had anticipated a fully lugged frame, so I was surprised. However, the fillet brazing is among the best I've seen and results in a very elegant look.

But I digress. The front end will easily fit a 28mm tire under the Chorus brakes but the rear is not even close. Can others fit 28mm tires on a CSI? Will a brake change help? I tried Suntour short reach with hidden springs and they don't work, either. It has been suggested that Shimano brakes may offer more clearance.

What have Paceliners experienced with this frame and larger tires?

Thanks,
Harth

oliver1850
07-25-2014, 03:39 PM
No problem fitting a Gatorskin 28/Open Pro on my CSI. Clearance is about 5mm. I have Tiagra 10 calipers on it. The recent Shimano dual pivots have more clearance than anything else I've tried.

mike p
07-25-2014, 07:46 PM
I believe I can get some brand of 25's on the rear of mine. Remember all tires do not measure the same. Conti's are notoriously undersized. It's possible those conti 28's are smaller than PR 25's.

Mike

oldpotatoe
07-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Well, I found a CSI in my size - the one that was on the SF craigslist with the replaced rear dropouts. It's a nice bike overall, though I wish the builder had chosen different dropouts for the repair (he used salsa dropouts with fender eyelets).

One unusual thing about the frame is the bilaminate construction. I had anticipated a fully lugged frame, so I was surprised. However, the fillet brazing is among the best I've seen and results in a very elegant look.

But I digress. The front end will easily fit a 28mm tire under the Chorus brakes but the rear is not even close. Can others fit 28mm tires on a CSI? Will a brake change help? I tried Suntour short reach with hidden springs and they don't work, either. It has been suggested that Shimano brakes may offer more clearance.

Thanks,
Harth

Were the seat stays replaced? If so, change the placement of the brake bridge?

Go to decent bike shop that will try to get some 28c on the rear and if they don't fit, unless you want to have the bridge repositioned, use 25s...

pdxharth
07-26-2014, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the replies. I've tried 28s with no luck, not even close. Maybe 25s will fit under there - I'll try a pair.

Seatstays were not replaced, just the dropouts.

I'm doubting Shimano brakes would make much of a difference over the Chorus brakes. The bridge is just too low.

If it won't fit 25s, I'm going to sell it. 23s are not for me.

EricEstlund
07-26-2014, 12:27 PM
All bets are off with a dropout replacement. Drop outs are far from a standard part,and "small" changes there can have a big influence on axle/ bridge reach for the brakes and for the tire clearance dimples.

Your bike might well clear bigger rubber with a different caliper, but it's a unique situation.

mdeeds71
07-26-2014, 12:35 PM
I have not seen many CSI frames that had brazes rather I saw and owned a Colorado II that had the fillet brazed BB and head tube area that used lugs but due to the oversized tubing they cut away parts of the lug and fillet brazed the cut out portion. Placing your finder into the BB you can feel the lugs on the inside of the ST.

pics here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=10179&highlight=colorado

WIsh I still had that.

Curious if you could post pics of the brazed areas.

Thanks,
Harth

pdxharth
07-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Thanks, Eric. That's about what I thought. A couple of mm is all it would take to change the height of the brake bridge enough to affect tire size.

All bets are off with a dropout replacement. Drop outs are far from a standard part,and "small" changes there can have a big influence on axle/ bridge reach for the brakes and for the tire clearance dimples.

Your bike might well clear bigger rubber with a different caliper, but it's a unique situation.

pdxharth
07-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Here are a couple quick photos of the lugs and fillets. They really are quite lovely.

mdeeds71
07-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Ok now I remember how a CSI is lugged…great color…I think called Cha-Ching Green.

What size is that frame?

Might be able to get another try at those dropouts with the right person sourcing some from someones older stock.

pdxharth
07-26-2014, 02:13 PM
frame is 61 ctc with a 59.5 tt. it was a custom build.

yeah, replacing the replaced dropouts may be an option but it will take some research to make sure it is the right thing to do.

I absolutely love the color. I have a Riv from '96 that is a darker shade of same. Not sure which I like better.