PDA

View Full Version : Trout Lake - Bolton, NY

christian
07-25-2014, 08:45 AM
I'm headed for Trout Lake - Bolton, NY for a week.

Couple of questions:

Road bike or MTB?
If MTB, are the trails buff or rocky? (In other words, can my 6-year old ride them, too? He's good on singletrack but obviously struggles with big rock gardens and significant steeps.)
Any favorite routes or trails?

Thanks!
Christian

Mr. Pink
07-25-2014, 12:22 PM
The road riding kinda sucks right next to Lake George due to traffic, but there is some nice riding around two lakes north, Brant Lake and Schroon lake, which are much less crowded. I hated riding in the meat of the ADK, because of awful surfaces and dangerous battles with traffic on the only skinny roads, but the stuff just east next to Lake Champlain is awfully nice (basically, Essex and rt. 22 coming out of it). Also, go up to Ticonderoga and ride the short ferry over to Vermont and do a loop over to Middlebury and back by way of the Crown Point bridge, or ride the ferry over to Charlotte Vt. from Essex and do some riding south of Burlington, which is nice. To take that further, you can do the two ferries ride, which is using both the Essex ferry and the Burlington/Port Kent ferries to make a loop. Nice stuff, and a lot of beautiful scenery in there.
As usual, Strava/Mapmyride are your friend when searching for rides.

Tom
07-25-2014, 01:17 PM
I stayed in Bolton Landing for a week last summer and the ride north from there and then over the hill on Route 8, south down the Schroon and then over the hill on whatever that road is where the northway exit is was kind of nice.