PDA

View Full Version : TVG riding at Hincapie's Gran Fondo...

MattTuck
07-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Seriously?

I guess I shouldn't worry too much, since "a portion of the proceeds from the event will benefit will benefit the local charity meals on wheels."

Go away Hincapie, do your hotel and riding thing in South Carolina and leave it at that. Don't try to rehab your image by buddying up with current riders.

Joachim
07-24-2014, 02:22 PM
This is from his Twitter page:

Just finished reading The Loyal Lieutenant by @ghincapie. Great read. Honored to have been his teammate and friend.

https://twitter.com/tejay_van/status/475142805070028801

MattTuck
07-24-2014, 02:26 PM
This is from his Twitter page:

Just finished reading The Loyal Lieutenant by @ghincapie. Great read. Honored to have been his teammate and friend.

https://twitter.com/tejay_van/status/475142805070028801

Those responses are hilarious.

CunegoFan
07-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Jeebus! Get over it. All the riders were doping. The only thing staying home would have done is allowed some other doper to take his place.

Joachim
07-24-2014, 03:14 PM
I hope for TJ that he has a long pro cycling career, because someone who thinks that GH's book is a great read, is definitely not the brightest in the bunch (no pun intended). That will also explain his admiration for GH. Don't blame the town fool!

bobswire
07-24-2014, 04:06 PM
jeebus! Get over it. All the riders were doping. The only thing staying home would have done is allowed some other doper to take his place.

+1!

T.J.
07-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Jeebus! Get over it. All the riders were doping. The only thing staying home would have done is allowed some other doper to take his place.

+eleventy

They doped.....we know they doped.....they know they doped. A lot of people on here were bummed when Contador crashed out but he doped .....lots of love for Eddy on here, he got busted what? Three times? Watch the tour for what it is , entertainment.

firerescuefin
07-24-2014, 05:02 PM
If you're TJ and part of the "new generation"....you distance yourself from the old guard. Has nothing to do with them all doping. The sport is trying to give the perception of distancing itself from the past.

Hailing George's horrifically written book and singing "Stand by Your Man" is not the brightest move if you're trying to help turn the page.

MattTuck
07-24-2014, 06:49 PM
If you're TJ and part of the "new generation"....you distance yourself from the old guard. Has nothing to do with them all doping. The sport is trying to give the perception of distancing itself from the past.

Hailing George's horrifically written book and singing "Stand by Your Man" is not the brightest move if you're trying to help turn the page.

This is what I was getting at. It is just bad optics.

Not saying that Hincapie should be punished or that he doesn't have some lessons to pass on. Just that it looks bad for current riders to be fraternizing with admitted dopers. This may not have even been Tejay's call. It may have been in his contract, or he could have been pressured into it by team management. Or, maybe Hincapie has something to hold over Tejay's head...

T.J.
07-24-2014, 07:13 PM

I get that in regards to TeeJay. It's the "go away" to George I was getting at. I'm not singling out the OP but you see people bash one doper and fall all over others.

veloduffer
07-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Its unrealistic to think the new generation can distance themselves from the doping past. Nearly half the directeur sportifs in the current race year are from that era -- Vinko/Astana, Riis/Tinkoff Saxo, etc.

So, TGV riding with Hincapie shouldn't be regarded as a taint (on a charity ride, no less).

IMHO, I think it's unfair to say that someone should walk away from their lifelong dream when faced with doping. You would never know if you'd have the "guts" to do it unless you were in their shoes.

alessandro
07-24-2014, 09:43 PM

Good rant here on just how bad the Hummer-Hincapie book really is:
http://www.podiumcafe.com/book-corner/2014/7/4/5870795/the-loyal-lieutenant-by-george-hincapie

peanutgallery
07-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Don't worry, theme hotels are like bike shops or boats - makes a small fortune out of large one. Kharma will come around in the end

As far as George, cvv, Danielson, Levi and the rest of the crew that magically stopped doping at the same time in 2006 or whenever it was, I can't believe that folks are stupid enough to get sucked into whatever it is that they're marketing. Pt Barnum was correct, there's a sucker born every minute

I noticed that Levi was a feature at the specialized dealer gig the other week. Hope he was spit upon

harlond
07-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Jeebus! Get over it. All the riders were doping. The only thing staying home would have done is allowed some other doper to take his place.+1

More people should be up in arms against offensive lineman, because those guys hold on every play.