PDA

View Full Version : Really!!!

norcalbiker
07-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Making a U-Turn without looking and then we sometimes blame the motorist.:eek:

http://msnvideo.msn.com/?channelindex=2&from=en-us_msnhp#/video/99892ff9-0cd5-e474-2664-bc046fea6792

Richard
07-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Not to defend the bicyclist, but the MC rider was doing about 80 and accelerating when the bicyclist started the turn. Maybe he looked back and totally misjudged the acceleration of the MC. It is a fast bike.

norcalbiker
07-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Not to defend the bicyclist, but the MC rider was doing about 80 and accelerating when the bicyclist started the turn. Maybe he looked back and totally misjudged the acceleration of the MC. It is a fast bike.

I know what you saying. Here in CA if you do less than 80, you'll get run over. :bike:

ultraman6970
07-24-2014, 01:05 PM
In the trail here I see every week at least 4 or 5 of those idiots that cross, make u turn or because they are using the darn arm they dont look behind before doing something. Bet they look like 20 times when doing stupidity like that when driving, it is too much to ask to behave like when driving a car while jogging or riding a bike?

54ny77
07-24-2014, 01:56 PM
that cyclist was a dumbass.

he should've gotten himself a lottery ticket that day, because if that was a car or tractor trailer instead of a moto that just barely missed him, that cervelo would've been carbon shards and he'd have been a hood ornament.

vqdriver
07-24-2014, 02:01 PM
yup. if that was anything other than a motorcyclist, he was toast. by the looks of it, even a car coming in the opposite direction would have had him.

flyhippy
07-24-2014, 02:11 PM
I'm not really seeing the big deal - motorcycle was clearly exceeding the speed limit, and made zero effort to slow. Cyclist probably had no idea he was even there, as its a winding road - motorcycle probably wasn't even in view. If the motorcycle were doing the speed limit (presumably 45 or less), he would have had no problem stopping in time for the bike to cross the road. No difference between that guy on the bike, and a deer crossing the road.

ultraman6970
07-24-2014, 02:44 PM
When you ride you can't do stupid things like what the rider was doing, no matter if the motorcycle guy was going too fast or too slow you know. You have to look behind before crossing the road...

OtayBW
07-24-2014, 03:02 PM
that cyclist was a dumbass.1) Cyclist was a dumbass, but 2) motorist should have stopped as if it were any other obstruction in the road.

54ny77
07-24-2014, 03:17 PM
having ridden motos for awhile, i've had my share of deer jump out in front of me and i sure count my lucky stars for no impacts. if you're doing any reasonable speed over 30 mph, a deer saying "hello i'm here NOW!" (or a cyclist u-turn for that matter) is a millisecond event. during that millisecond the mental calculus includes: 1) do i swerve slightly into oncoming traffic lane and possibly get plastered head-on; 2) do i instead hit the impending somewhat stationary or slightly moving object (deer, cyclist, whatever), or 3) do i lay it down and hope to hit nothing and not incur personal injury (ignoring whatever happens to the moto) and also hope to god there isn't a closely moving vehicle right behind me if i choose to do so?

the moto was doing 75 mph (look carefully at the digital speedo) when the guy on the bike pulls out suddenly. there was zero time to run that calculus and stop like you indicated he (or she) "should" have done. the cyclist is one very, very lucky dude.

1) Cyclist was a dumbass, but 2) motorist should have stopped as if it were any other obstruction in the road.

Tom
07-24-2014, 03:33 PM
If I remember correctly, motorcycles make noise.

ultraman6970
07-24-2014, 03:35 PM
IMO the moto guy did the right thing, second option was just hit the brakes and pass the moron at the inside.

OtayBW
07-24-2014, 03:38 PM
having ridden motos for awhile, i've had my share of deer jump out in front of me and i sure count my lucky stars for no impacts. if you're doing any reasonable speed over 30 mph, a deer saying "hello i'm here NOW!" (or a cyclist u-turn for that matter) is a millisecond event. during that millisecond the mental calculus includes: 1) do i swerve slightly into oncoming traffic lane and possibly get plastered head-on; 2) do i instead hit the impending somewhat stationary or slightly moving object (deer, cyclist, whatever), or 3) do i lay it down and hope to hit nothing and not incur personal injury (ignoring whatever happens to the moto) and also hope to god there isn't a closely moving vehicle right behind me if i choose to do so?

the moto was doing 75 mph (look carefully at the digital speedo) when the guy on the bike pulls out suddenly. there was zero time to run that calculus and stop like you indicated he (or she) "should" have done. the cyclist is one very, very lucky dude.
I agree with that, but it did not look like evasive maneuver from what I saw on the vid...but it's hard to tell.

I will say that just one month ago, I was involved with a very similar situation when a cyclist ~25 yards directly in front of me pulled a bonehead U-Turn maneuver out of the blue, without looking behind, effectively T-boning a motorcyclist who was lawfully travelling at ~55mph. Very lucky not to have had to call the coroner on that one, but it was clear among the 3 witnesses that the cyclist was 100% at fault. I literally couldn't believe my eyes as I watched it unfold in 'slow motion'.

Of course, after collecting himself, the cyclist got up and proceeded to accuse the motorcyclist of "illegally passing him". He will no longer be riding with my group.

vqdriver
07-24-2014, 03:58 PM
it doesn't really matter if the motorbike was going fast or not. if there had been a collision, i don't think there's much doubt who would be at fault. and it doesn't matter if it's a bike, deer, pedestrian, etc. if you're gonna cross the flow of traffic, it's on you to do it safely.

ultraman6970
07-24-2014, 05:01 PM
let me fix that for you..

if you're gonna cross the flow of traffic, look 1st at both sides of the street.

bikinchris
07-24-2014, 05:20 PM
The motorcyclist was going too fast, but the bicyclist was about 98% at fault IMO. He's lucky he didn't hurt the poor motorcyclist.

ceewho
07-24-2014, 05:49 PM
My girlfriend's friend recently got into a head on collision with a motorcyclist. Both have no memory of the accident... Hope this wasn't what was happening.

bcroslin
07-24-2014, 06:38 PM
we sure are a self-loathing bunch around here.

Scuzzer
07-24-2014, 07:36 PM
we sure are a self-loathing bunch around here.

I don't feel self loathing but maybe I am. If I was going to do what the guy on the bike did I would have stopped (yeah, actually put a foot down) and looked both ways before I attempted the U-turn. I would do that just in case some asshat was driving 80 mph in a 50 mph zone.

On a tangent, what's the deal with guys that are unwilling to put a foot down at stoplights? I run across way too many guys doing really bad trackstands or slowly creeping up on the intersection to try and time the light. Is it really that much of a bother to put a foot down when you're stopping or doing a U-turn?

norcalbiker
07-25-2014, 12:22 AM
I'm not really seeing the big deal - motorcycle was clearly exceeding the speed limit, and made zero effort to slow. Cyclist probably had no idea he was even there, as its a winding road - motorcycle probably wasn't even in view. If the motorcycle were doing the speed limit (presumably 45 or less), he would have had no problem stopping in time for the bike to cross the road. No difference between that guy on the bike, and a deer crossing the road.

If you watch it again, he grab his front brake.

Asudef
07-25-2014, 12:45 AM
On a tangent, what's the deal with guys that are unwilling to put a foot down at stoplights? I run across way too many guys doing really bad trackstands or slowly creeping up on the intersection to try and time the light. Is it really that much of a bother to put a foot down when you're stopping or doing a U-turn?

Yes unless I'm on platforms and even still, I watch and follow the flow of traffic, not necessarily all the road signage. Why should I stop if it takes me more effort to get to speed and possibly mix w/ cars who want to gun it from the stop and possibly pin me between parked cars ahead? Same with stop signs, if its clear, I roll, but will never purposely inhibit someones way.

Sometimes this is a problem as drivers around here tend to be very patronizing and stop on a yield sign to wave me by.

Btw, to stay on topic, that cyclist is an idiot.

oldpotatoe
07-25-2014, 09:11 AM
that cyclist was a dumbass.

he should've gotten himself a lottery ticket that day, because if that was a car or tractor trailer instead of a moto that just barely missed him, that cervelo would've been carbon shards and he'd have been a hood ornament.

Yup

oldpotatoe
07-25-2014, 09:13 AM
I don't feel self loathing but maybe I am. If I was going to do what the guy on the bike did I would have stopped (yeah, actually put a foot down) and looked both ways before I attempted the U-turn. I would do that just in case some asshat was driving 80 mph in a 50 mph zone.

Actually slowing down or kinda slowing down at a stop sign, progress not seen much around the republic.

F150
07-25-2014, 09:32 PM
Been a while since I've done 80mph on a m/c (sorry, my '72 CB350 isn't up to spec on compression) but that bike has to be registering speed in kph. Note no type (i.e. YIELD) on sign at exit to pulloff.

He's doing 40 in first gear and turning no revs to speak of. No way this is 80 mph...and, regardless of displacement, motorcycles don't maneuver like that at speed.