PDA

View Full Version : Pedaling while standing

Allez!
02-27-2006, 04:23 PM
I've been training using
1 Spin Bike
2 Bike on Trainer
3 Bike on the Road

I've noticed that resistance when pedaling standing is even on the spin bike or trainer throughout the pedal stroke, but on the road the stroke is uneven, tough through the stroke and almost slipping (too easy) at 5-7 O'clock.
Does this mean I need to shift to a much higher gear when I go to standing?
Something else about my pedal stroke?
Something about where my weight is balanced on the bike?

Also noticing that difference between the power (or my perception of) generated sitting vs standing is greater on the road than on spin bike or trainer. Ideas?

Advice much appreciated!

manet
02-27-2006, 04:27 PM
balance _ a trainer fixes the bike + rider static.

wanderingwheel
02-27-2006, 04:47 PM
Here's my best guess. When your standing, your pedal stroke is probably slower at 12 and 6 o'clock than it is at 3 and 9 o'clock. On the trainer, your wheel slows down much faster than if you are riding on the road, so you still have some resistance to push against when your pedal speed slows down. However, on the road, you lose that resistance at slower pedal speeds, so your pedal stroke feels loose and vague at the top and bottom when standing.

Fixed
02-27-2006, 04:53 PM
bro try a fixed gear that 's like your spin bike .cheers

Ken Robb
02-27-2006, 07:13 PM
flywheel effect?

Allez!
02-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback!
I was wondering if I need to adjust my body positioning - seems like the answer is no.

I am fairly heavy compared to some riders (185 lbs) so gravity is on my side when standing.

Bottom line is I wish I was on the road more now - too flipping cold here at the moment!

Needs Help
02-28-2006, 04:46 PM
I am fairly heavy compared to some riders (185 lbs) so gravity is on my side when standing.
How so?

Allez!
03-01-2006, 03:18 PM
On the downstroke - just shift hips and lean into the other side -which is really the root of my issue - I read a related post I hadn't found before - seems I should try emphasizing the up stroke, rather than powering through the down stroke.

Needs Help
03-01-2006, 03:36 PM
On the downstroke - just shift hips and lean into the other side
Does your body magically levitate upwards after every downstroke?

Allez!
03-02-2006, 08:53 AM
I have a magic feather a couple of crows gave me. ;)

Of course I have to work harder to climb than someone lighter. Do you have any suggestions to help with technique?