PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Sizing

Wilkinson4
07-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Since me puppy decided to chew on my Sidi Dominators (6 yo) i decided to get some new kicks. I am trying some Giro Code that were on sale.

Question tho. When I first started riding with leather shoes and nailed cleats, a shoe fit if you could get it on. Meaning, it was tight but the leather stretched, and eventually they were perfect.

With these new fangled shoes how do you go about sizing em? The old rule? If you can get it on it fits. Or, more like sneakers? Or, maybe just a little room?

I use a 41 Sidi Genius/Dominator and got a 40.5 and a 41 Giro. The 40.5 seems too tight, the 41 seems a tad roomier than I am used to.

mIKE

Idris Icabod
07-23-2014, 01:03 PM
I recently retired my Sidi Ergo 1 and bought Giro shoes. I went from a 46 Sidi and tried a 46 Giro Factor but it was too roomy, the 45.5 Giro was really tight initially, to the point of leaving red marks post-ride but they have loosened up after a couple of weeks and are now comforatable. So in my experience they have stretched out a little bit.

Wilkinson4
07-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Any issues with the Giro cutting into your ankles? I got one ride on the 41 and the toe wiggle room is different than I am used to. But, after 15 miles the shoe was cutting in my ankle a bit and my feet hurt in new places.

I may just stick with the Sidi...

mIKE

Idris Icabod
07-23-2014, 02:21 PM
No issues on the ankle for me, all across the top of my foot and edges of the toe. I was thinking the same thing but the Giros were such a good deal compared to the Sidi so were worth the risk. I also bought Giro mountain shoes and they fit in 45.5 right out of the box.

Wilkinson4
07-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Yeah, they had 2012 models at jenson for $125 or so. Hard to pass up a deal like that but… Not sure I'll give em another ride.

Anybody else ride with toe wiggle room or just snug enough?

mIKE

Birddog
07-24-2014, 08:31 AM
I have the same question for Garneau LS100. I just bought the 9.5 and the toes are touching the end uncomfortably. Can I expect them to stretch/give a little over time. I think the 10 will be too roomy. TIA

Wilkinson4
07-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Sidi calls it pro-fit when your toes are right up at the toe box. I think it is personal at that point. Leather would probably stretch and conform.

New shoes maybe not so much. 1/2 size up may help, that is usually 3mm or so… So, I decided to send the Giro's back for a refund. The good news is Jenson sent a 15% code when I got the Giro's. So, I just used that to buy some Sidi Dominator's and save $40.

Every little bit helps. The Sidi's last long enough to justify it as well. My last pair had at least another year in them before my destructive pup decided to chew on them.

mIKE