PDA

View Full Version : Seeking info: Miyata T6 Ti

mktng
07-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Co workers brother is looking to sell his Miyata Ti. Shimano Tri Color 600 stock build from the catalog.

Whats the deal with these lugged Ti frames. Its such a love it of hate it sort of thing from what i've seen.

What are the options for this bike? Is it doomed like the Aluminum lugged Vitus, and stuck in the past (running anything 130mm in the back)?

Anyone ridden one before? Own(ed) one?

Looks clean, blurry picture.

Aaron O
07-23-2014, 09:15 AM
I've ridden one...very flexy. I've also personally seen three with lug bonding failures. I'd stay away.

fiamme red
07-23-2014, 09:23 AM
That's a cool vintage bike. Should ride very smoothly (like a Vitus/Alan). Just appreciate it for what it is. I wouldn't spread the dropouts.

Harry Havnoonian built similar titanium frames. If he's still in business, he can do repairs if the glued joints come apart.

mktng
07-23-2014, 09:24 AM
haha. like i said. love it or hate it.

at the right price...it'll be my around town bike. i wont be doing anything funky with it. to be honest...it looks nice the way it is

Aaron O
07-23-2014, 09:25 AM
That's a cool vintage bike. Should ride very smoothly (like a Vitus/Alan). Just appreciate it for what it is. I wouldn't spread the dropouts.

Harry Havnoonian built similar titanium frames. If he's still in business, he can do repairs if the glued joints come apart.

He's still around...doing business out of a shop in the burbs. I've never thought much of his bikes.

xlbs
07-23-2014, 04:40 PM
back in the day.

Every one of them had a bond failure at some point.

The wholesaler supplying them repaired each one with some sort of "space-age" bonding agent that Miyata supplied to them.

As far as I know, all repairs were stable for years afterwards.

They rode well, but not as nicely as my Legend, which I still have and still enjoy.

bobswire
07-23-2014, 07:01 PM
back in the day.

Every one of them had a bond failure at some point.

The wholesaler supplying them repaired each one with some sort of "space-age" bonding agent that Miyata supplied to them.

As far as I know, all repairs were stable for years afterwards.

They rode well, but not as nicely as my Legend, which I still have and still enjoy.

You don't say. :)

Cat3roadracer
07-23-2014, 07:09 PM
JB Weld. Done.