PDA

View Full Version : OT-Solvent tank solvent

oldpotatoe
07-22-2014, 03:59 PM
Ok you chemical engineers..bought a 20 gal solvent tank for shop in garage.

It 'says' it's for water based solvent only..did that but that stuff just doesn't cut it(get it??). Smears grease, doesn't 'solvent' it, so...I want to put a petroleum based solvent in it..any ideas? Just fill it with diesel? kidding...but...

in the shop used SafetyKleen solvent but they changed it..not available to buy.

saf-t
07-22-2014, 04:36 PM
If it says it's for water-based fluids only, I'd get in touch with the manufacturer and try to find out why- maybe there are seals or something that could be degraded by solvents, or a pump that isn't intrinsically safe. Just something to think about.

F150
07-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Safety-Kleen still markets a high flashpoint parts washer solvent, see it all the time in client workshops. Just may be hard to get as an individual. Should be non-flammable and thus non-hazardous once it becomes a waste (40 CFR 261.21)

Just don't make the mistake of buying based on the label. Once audited a client facility and noticed this pretty green 55 gallon drum by one of their presses. Contained "Safety Solvent" according to the label. Looked at the MSDS, contained 99.3-99.5% Trichloroethylene. Great solvent, not particularly safe from an exposure standpoint (known carcinogen).

"But it's 'Safety Solvent'". Here's your sign...

biker72
07-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Safety-Kleen still markets a high flashpoint parts washer solvent, see it all the time in client workshops. Just may be hard to get as an individual. Should be non-flammable and thus non-hazardous once it becomes a waste (40 CFR 261.21)

Just don't make the mistake of buying based on the label. Once audited a client facility and noticed this pretty green 55 gallon drum by one of their presses. Contained "Safety Solvent" according to the label. Looked at the MSDS, contained 99.3-99.5% Trichloroethylene. Great solvent, not particularly safe from an exposure standpoint (known carcinogen).

Maybe "safety" because it's not flammable.
Still nasty stuff.

07-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Most applications you aren't allowed to use volatile organic solvents any longer -- fire hazard, OSHA, environmental, and more other regulatory issues than you want to think about.

There are detergent plus citrus solutions that car dealer service departments and such have to use now. The irony is that with all of your ProGold and Phil Grease in the solvent, they are still subject to the same damned regulations by the time you want to get rid of them. I knew one bike shop that just tried to dump about ten gallons at night into a storm drain after trying to get rid of it all kinds of places -- and he wasn't anywhere near a body of water or even a particularly sensitive aquifer. He got caught and fined so badly he shut his business. Save gallon milk bottles and be prepared to take the stuff in milk bottles to the local hazardous waste recycling center. So they can dump it down a storm drain.

07-22-2014, 05:37 PM

You typically have to have a permit (a disposal license written and paid for in advance, in other words) to buy the stuff. And you're typically only allowed to buy it in bulk if you are subject to OSHA inspection and have a OSHA inspection number. You can buy the stuff by the gallon without any documentation, but then you have a problem when you dispose of it -- don't dump it yourself and if you take that much to a hazardous waste disposal, they want to see your OSHA documentation and then you get fined heavily.

oldpotatoe
07-22-2014, 05:41 PM
You typically have to have a permit (a disposal license written and paid for in advance, in other words) to buy the stuff. And you're typically only allowed to buy it in bulk if you are subject to OSHA inspection and have a OSHA inspection number. You can buy the stuff by the gallon without any documentation, but then you have a problem when you dispose of it -- don't dump it yourself and if you take that much to a hazardous waste disposal, they want to see your OSHA documentation and then you get fined heavily.

Looks more and more to be 5 gal of diesel

Louis
07-22-2014, 05:42 PM
^^^ Carbon Tet !!!

dsimon
07-22-2014, 05:46 PM
theres a bike shop here that uses a Ultra sonic cleaner and man the parts come out skweeky clean

Ralph
07-22-2014, 05:46 PM
I bought a 3 gallon parts washer from Harbor Freight a few years ago. Said not to use mineral spirits or anything like that in it. Bought Citrus Cleaner from Home Depot, didn't dilute it, and it cleaned parts real good....using a kitchen sink brush. I thought it cleaned almost as good as the Safety Klean I used in a auto restoration business I worked part time for a while. The only problem I know about with the citrus cleaner is it will discolor polished aluminum parts if you leave them in the cleaner long. Almost ruined a Chorus chainring. You have to clean the parts, then wash them off quickly with water.

BTW.....The Harbor Freight motor only lasted about 3 years, and the tank almost rusted out. But not bad for a $39.99 cleaner and $30 worth of citrus cleaner. Took it all to dump for disposal.

Don49
07-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Diesel works pretty well, also kerosene or ordorless paint thinner. But I've only used (and reused) small quantities, never anything approaching 20 gallons.

Whatever solvent you use, once it's been used, it probably ought to be disposed of as a hazardous waste since it now contains all kinds of gunk.

I've been using the same gallon of kerosene for several years now in the shop, so disposal hasn't been an issue.

shovelhd
07-22-2014, 05:52 PM
I use mineral spirits in mine but it's rated for it. Anyone can get solvent from Safety Kleen. They have it in small containers for parts washers. You don't buy it you rent it. They come and swap it out on whatever interval you desire.

unterhausen
07-22-2014, 06:27 PM
it's amazing how well soap and water works, that's always what I go for first in the ultrasonic cleaner. Probably wouldn't put it in a parts cleaner though

Place I used to worked that overhauled airplanes at one time had open barrels of carbon tet for parts cleaning use. Fortunately those days are gone.

07-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Looks more and more to be 5 gal of diesel

Yup. Diesel is great stuff. Best cleaner in the world. You have to clean up after it, but it also takes rim cement off well.

Use it til it's really loaded with greases and oils, let all the fines settle out, and bottle the stuff on top as Tater's special chain lube. $12 a bottle and you will have a happy and wealthy retirement.

F150
07-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Coffee can and a quart of kerosene or diesel goes a long way. Here in the east, there's always a brushpile that needs an accelerant!

notsew
07-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Hey, just toss it in your truck. The extra oil will just make the coal rollin' all the smoker!

07-22-2014, 08:41 PM
I use mineral spirits in mine but it's rated for it. Anyone can get solvent from Safety Kleen. They have it in small containers for parts washers. You don't buy it you rent it. They come and swap it out on whatever interval you desire.

Is that a state EPA thing? I have to buy it where I live and need the permits.

Schmed
07-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Maybe it's for "water based" cleaners since it's not made with explosion proof electrical circuits?

If I hear a BOOM combing from Boulder this week, I guess I'll have my answer!