PDA

View Full Version : TA Zephyr and Phil bb questions

pinkshogun
07-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Long story short is im trading Heron frames with a fella who has arthritis and cant de-build his bike before hand. we are meeting halfway and want to have all necessary tools with me.

-TA Zephyr cranks has French or English threads?
-if the TA has a one key release, what size allen do i need?
-will my older Phil removal tools fit all Phil bottom bracket rings?

any other weirdness i need to know about removing these 2 parts?

gis_guru
07-22-2014, 11:05 AM
As far as I know Phil Wood square tapers have always used the same tool which is proprietary to them. The TA self extracting bolts use a 6 or an 8 hex I cant recall which but nothing exotic. If you want to take the caps off of the self extracting bolts http://www.ebay.com/itm/291183567529 you need a pin spanner (I believe I used the park red spanner) or you may be able to use a couple of small hex wrenches. If the crank doesn't have self extracting bolts the TA should use the park CCp-22 crank arm extractor. I believe it would be a rare thing for it to have french threads.
Set of metric hex wrenches
A Phil Wood BB cup tool
A pin spanner (Which ever has the smallest pins)
Pedal wrench if he still has those on as well.
A park ccp-22 crank arm extractor

ultraman6970
07-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Self extracting bolts are the bomb!!!

Campagnolo should have put that in their shimano like axle cranksets, nobody needs to buy new tools or improvise, even that could have helped them more to sell the stuff with campy guys, how much in large quantities? like 2 dollars?

Marburg
07-22-2014, 05:20 PM
Yes, Zephyrs can be removed with a "standard" crank puller. I will try to remember to check the the self extractors tonight (I don't have them installed, so I've never used them in anger).

Take a 15mm socket in case hex-head crank bolts have been used.

vav
07-22-2014, 08:53 PM
All of the above and meet as close as possible to a LBS

nighthawk
07-22-2014, 09:03 PM
TA self-extracting crank bolts use an 8mm hex. If you are just trying to break down the frame, and the bolts are staying in the cranks, you won't need the pin spanner wrench.