PDA

View Full Version : QR alternatives /suggestions?

d_douglas
07-21-2014, 11:32 PM
I have just returned from some fun MTBing while on a family holiday and came to a few conclusions about my bike, which is admittedly dated.

A) I need a new drivetrain
B) the rear triangle has tight clearance.

Relating to (B), are there ways to make a more secure interface btw dropouts (both for frame and fork) that will improve on a set of plain 'ol Deore XT skewers? It is a steel Vicious Cycles 29er and a Manitou Minute 80mm fork. I use DT 350 centrelock hubs and XTR hydros.

It is all I need and don't plan on changing the fork, but wonder if those fancy DT ratcheting skewers or something else would stiffen up the front end, as I was banging this bike around a lot on this trip. Also, those King Fun Bolts only work on King wheels, correct? I guess I am outta luck ;)

Thanks for any suggestions,

Darren

rustychisel
07-21-2014, 11:41 PM
Deore skewers are stell, right? Hard to think of much better.

For using road wheel on the track, Pitlock track skewer is pretty good. Replaces lever, cam and nub with a 5mm Allen keyed head.

d_douglas
07-22-2014, 01:29 AM
Yes, they're XT and I am 99% sure that they're steel. Nothing better? I am ok with that, but if someone suggests a $50 solution that yields big gains, I'd love to hear about it!

CiclistiCliff
07-22-2014, 01:58 AM
DT Swiss RWS 10mm thrubolt for the rear and 9mm for the front. Well worth the expense.

d_douglas
07-22-2014, 05:21 AM
Thanks, are you enabling me, or are these actually an improvement ;)?

It is 10mm they bolt, but it works on a standard 9mm QR style dropout?

Cheers,

D

CiclistiCliff
07-22-2014, 11:53 AM
You get the 10x135 thrubolt caps for your rear hub and get the 9mm version for the front.

Install caps. slide thrubolt (RWS axle thingy) and tighten down.

Way stiffer than a traditional QR axle. The Shimano skewers get plenty tight, but since they're only 5mm they love to flex and that's where you introduce brake rub and allow for individual fork leg movement under turning or braking loads.

I run them in the rear of my MTB and will be running it on my cross bike soon.

p nut
07-22-2014, 03:46 PM
I looked into the DT 10mm thru bolts, but the $150 price tag (between the skewers and caps) scared me away. $20 XT skewers work pretty well for me.

pdmtong
07-22-2014, 07:57 PM
moving to a thru bolt away from a std QR is the solution

here is the extreme...went from salsa QR on our FS tandem to a 24mm thru bolt. OMFG the improvement in steering precision and resistance to rock and root strikes was off the chart.