PDA

View Full Version : OT: What irons do you play?

Cat3roadracer
07-21-2014, 09:40 PM
I have a set of copper Ping Eye 2 irons that I bought in college. Still work perfect. You?

cua90
07-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Ping Eye 2+, Blue dot, 2 - LW, purchased in '99 and still playing them. At this point in my golf life, difficult to justify a change when the clubs are so good and I play as infrequently as I do.

EPOJoe
07-21-2014, 09:52 PM
Went through a bunch of newer stuff. Then went back to my BeCu Eye 2+'s.

MattTuck
07-21-2014, 10:34 PM
Taylormade rac irons, and a scotty cameron putter that was a gift from my former boss.

rustychisel
07-21-2014, 10:34 PM
It ain't about the club.

http://comps.gograph.com/tough-guy-cartoon-caveman-with-beard-holding-club-vector-graphic_gg62327048.jpg

But really, golf on a cycling forum? Cancel my subscription to the resurrection.

Rada
07-21-2014, 11:49 PM
Titleist DCI 962. Bought them new many moons ago. Still great hitting sticks and never saw a need to go to any of the many gimmick clubs that have come and gone.

Saxon
07-22-2014, 01:14 AM
I haven't been playing much lately, but I have a set of Ping Eye 2 featherweights and a set of Eye 2 coppers. Steel shafts on all.

vqdriver
07-22-2014, 03:28 AM
Lot of ping love here. But I'm still rocking a set of Cleveland ta5 irons with vokey wedges. I, too, cannot justify a new set unless I play a lot more frequently.

TexasJohn
07-22-2014, 04:05 AM
I play Cleveland TA2 irons and classic wedges. Grew up on blades, so like the more compact look and no offset. Considering a change to Wilson blades of the late 80's. Love the feel of forged blades.

572cv
07-22-2014, 05:36 AM
I play so rarely.... So I just use my great grandfather's mashee and niblick :)

Really. Back in the day, the clubs all had names, not numbers.

PQJ
07-22-2014, 05:39 AM
Hogan Apex Plus, steel shafts of course. 14 years this summer. Faces are a bit worn and they could stand to be retired but I like em too much.

veloduffer
07-22-2014, 05:56 AM
I have Wishon 550 forged irons, a mix of blades and cavity backs. Just got a new set of Callaway Apex forged irons. I play only a few times a year but I do like the game. I have kind of lost patience with playing 18 holes, as it takes too long with travel and check-in time. Now I generally limit myself to 9 holes unless I am playing with friends or an outing. Golfing and biking we not mutually compatible (time wise)😕

jmoore
07-22-2014, 08:47 AM
I play Cleveland TA2 irons and classic wedges. Grew up on blades, so like the more compact look and no offset. Considering a change to Wilson blades of the late 80's. Love the feel of forged blades.

This sounds exactly like my bag. Cleveland TA3's and Cleveland Classic wedges.

I grew up on Wilson Staff blades. That was a steep learning curve.

I used to play TONS of golf. Now I'm lucky if I play twice a year in a scramble.

ctcyclistbob
07-22-2014, 10:02 AM
I've been playing with an older set of Taylor Made irons like those below, and feel no need to upgrade. Then again I don't play much anymore, anywhere from a couple of times in a given year to maybe a dozen. But the clubs hit just fine when I put a good swing on the ball.

eippo1
07-22-2014, 10:24 AM
Thought I'd take it up again after more than a 27 year hiatus (was 12, terrible and hated it). Just picked up some used game improvement Cobra Baffler irons to use for local pitch and putts. I'll let you guys know if they are ok or crap.

DreaminJohn
07-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Love all the Ping guys here. I started on Zing 2, then G2, and trading current G10s in for the G30s which are officially released 7/31.

I do love old school wedges though. The original Cleveland 588 is my favorite although they're tough to find in lefty.

Straight is better than long but not nearly as much fun.

gdw
07-22-2014, 10:48 AM
I have a set of 1971 Wilson Staffs (button back) in need of new grips in the garage.

enr1co
07-22-2014, 11:36 AM
Have some mid 2000's Callaway Big Bertha irons purchased on a whim but now collecting dust in the garage.

Will likely just end up giving them to my brother as the activity (or lack of) bores the sh*t out of me.

firerescuefin
07-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Two sets in the rotation. Both I have owned for awhile.

Mizuno MP-29 Blades 1-W, Dynamic Gold s-400, 1 Degree Up

Hogan PC Blades, 1-E, I re-shafted them 2 years ago with Rifle 6.5s, 1 Degree up

I have a childhood friend on staff with Titleist. Their AP2 is my favorite club being produced right now. Really want to pull the trigger on a set.

firerescuefin
07-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Hogan Apex Plus, steel shafts of course. 14 years this summer. Faces are a bit worn and they could stand to be retired but I like em too much.

http://www.theironfactory.com

His re-finishing work is unmatched and Hogan's forgings are some of the best ever made. Those will come back looking brand new. Getting ready to send the Mizuno's back to have a brushed satin finish done. I've had the Hogan PCs since 87 and will send them back to be re-grooved and re-chromed at some point. One of my 2 right handed sons, They'll get them as a gift if they take up the game seriously.

firerescuefin
07-22-2014, 12:00 PM
I have a set of copper Ping Eye 2 irons that I bought in college. Still work perfect. You?

OP...those Irons (Eye 2 BeCu) are real collector items. Do not let someone swindle you out of them. They are worth a lot more than you think (though you might know)

ntb1001
07-22-2014, 12:09 PM
I use a s complete set of Ping G20 irons and drivers....all carried in a Livestrong bag... (it was on sale 80% off so I couldn't resist!!)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/udeqeqer.jpg

Cat3roadracer
07-22-2014, 12:53 PM
GDW - let me know if you want to get rid of the 71' Dynapowers, I regret passing on a set years ago.

spacemen3
07-22-2014, 12:53 PM
I have two sets of old Daiwa Monodyne blades, and sometimes play with my great uncle's set of George Nicoll Henry Cotton hand-forgeds. Sadly, I can't do any of these clubs justice until I rediscover my swing. :)

Cat3roadracer
07-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Hats off to you guys swinging blades. Real players.

redir
07-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Thrift store special for me. I golf with a 3,7,9 iron or pitching wedge, a 3 wood and a putter. Don't even really need a bag but most courses require one. I used to play every weekend in high school and shoot regularly in the 80's. I can't hit those big huge drivers probably because I only play a few times a year now but that's a lot of club to get around. I just hit short straight and honest and still shoot low 90's :p

Dead Man
07-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Some ····ty Wilsons my uncle gave me for a birthday present after my Taylormades got jacked out of car. I'm pretty sure I've only played on them once in the last 7 or 8 years.

I used to drool over the Ping coppers, back when I was a kid. I should go find a set!

gdw
07-22-2014, 01:46 PM
" let me know if you want to get rid of the 71' Dynapowers, I regret passing on a set years ago."

Sorry, I'm holding onto them. I also have a set from the mid 50's.

PQJ
07-22-2014, 03:13 PM
http://www.theironfactory.com

His re-finishing work is unmatched and Hogan's forgings are some of the best ever made. Those will come back looking brand new. Getting ready to send the Mizuno's back to have a brushed satin finish done. I've had the Hogan PCs since 87 and will send them back to be re-grooved and re-chromed at some point. One of my 2 right handed sons, They'll get them as a gift if they take up the game seriously.

Thanks for that; will check it out. Ben's my guy, golf-god wise. He taught me how to swing a club and I still remember the lessons to this day.

jmoore
07-22-2014, 03:57 PM
Mizuno MP-29 Blades 1-W, Dynamic Gold s-400, 1 Degree Up

Hogan PC Blades, 1-E, I re-shafted them 2 years ago with Rifle 6.5s, 1 Degree up

This is a serious set of gear here. :hello: 1-irons! holy cow

I was :this close: to buying some Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 2 irons when I got my Clevelands. Those irons were HOT but slightly less forgiving than the TA3's.

That is when I used to be able to play a little bit (4.5 handicap)

firerescuefin
07-22-2014, 04:03 PM
This is a serious set of gear here. :hello: 1-irons! holy cow

I was :this close: to buying some Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 2 irons when I got my Clevelands. Those irons were HOT but slightly less forgiving than the TA3's.

That is when I used to be able to play a little bit (4.5 handicap)

J...not going to lie. Those 1 and 2 irons don't get a lot of use. I use to hit the 1 iron a lot off the tee when I was a low handicapper, but recently went to a 17 degree Titleist hybrid. It's so easy to hit, it feels like I'm cheating.

All that to say....I thought golf was my true love until I found cycling.....and I still do love it, especially sharing it with my kids. But if I had to choose one, it wouldn't even be close.

jmoore
07-22-2014, 04:21 PM
J...not going to lie. Those 1 and 2 irons don't get a lot of use. I use to hit the 1 iron a lot off the tee when I was a low handicapper, but recently went to a 17 degree Titleist hybrid. It's so easy to hit, it feels like I'm cheating.

All that to say....I thought golf was my true love until I found cycling.....and I still do love it, especially sharing it with my kids. But if I had to choose one, it wouldn't even be close.

We have very similar stories. LOVED golf and thought I would play forever. Until I got a bike. It was all over from there for golf.

Same with the clubs. I would only carry a 2-iron, 3 wood and driver. 5 woods and hybrids were for women and hacks. That is until I found an Adams Tight Lies Tour 17 degree on eBay for $29. I put a UST Proforce Gold xstiff shaft in it. It was criminal how easy that club was to hit. Perfect club for TangleRidge in Grapevine. :wink:

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

ctcyclistbob
07-22-2014, 07:42 PM
The posts about hitting a 1-iron remind me of this quote from Lee Trevino:

"If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron."

vqdriver
07-22-2014, 07:58 PM
The posts about hitting a 1-iron remind me of this quote from Lee Trevino:

"If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron."

That funny