PDA

View Full Version : Voeckler Heckles Back

spartanKid
07-21-2014, 03:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RYBln_Jnas

Those fans straighten up pretty quick when he stops. :bike:

bcroslin
07-21-2014, 03:17 PM
I've nearly punched someone in the face after they spent the entire 45 min's of a CX race heckling me and telling me to quit. Someone I did not know and who was being a total ass. I totally get where Tommy is coming from.

Lovetoclimb
07-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Besides some small quibbles like that silly tongue and his overly animated climbing style, he is everything that is right with cycling IMO! And actually he would not truly be Tommy V without those above things. So yeah, all around setting the standard.

cekte
07-21-2014, 03:19 PM
"Do you even bike, bro?"

bobswire
07-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Good for him,don't mess with the French.

Saint Vitus
07-21-2014, 03:27 PM
I've nearly punched someone in the face after they spent the entire 45 min's of a CX race heckling me and telling me to quit. Someone I did not know and who was being a total ass. I totally get where Tommy is coming from.

Why would someone even do that? Drunk I suppose.

OtayBW
07-21-2014, 03:27 PM
:rolleyes:Good for him,don't mess with the French.Now there's something you don't hear everyday....

bobswire
07-21-2014, 03:32 PM
:rolleyes:Now there's something you don't hear everyday....

I should have qualified that by saying don't mess with the French "in France".

http://i62.tinypic.com/3148f2o.jpg

texbike
07-21-2014, 03:34 PM
Good for him,don't mess with the French.

:rolleyes:Now there's something you don't hear everyday....

That's hilarious! Good for Voeckler!

Bernard Hinault would have got off the bike, punched the guy, started a fight with the guy's friends, and still won the stage. ;)

PQJ
07-21-2014, 03:41 PM
I don't get the anti-Voeckler sentiment. He's one of my favorites among the current crop. Would love to see him win the Tour outright, though I realize that's a pipe dream.

oldpotatoe
07-21-2014, 03:55 PM

What, there is drinking at cross races, alcohol? Shocked.

:)

azrider
07-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Voeckler is a whiny little weasel.....guy is always complaining in breaks, and shooting his mouth, and now he can't take raucous spectators?.......dude needs to get on with it and ride his bike.

PQJ
07-21-2014, 04:09 PM
I've never ridden with him in a race, so I can't say, but fair enough. He's got good racing instincts, a go-for-broke style, impressive palmares and panache. His encounter with the fan was more sedate than I expected it to be and sometimes people deserve it.

Climb01742
07-21-2014, 04:22 PM
i like voeckler, and i guess when you're an hour and 46 minutes down on the GC, you can stop and get fans in line. again, i like him but dude, ride a little faster and maybe fewer boos?;)

bcroslin
07-21-2014, 04:40 PM

Dude was totally sober. He didn't like that I was beating the guy in back of me. When the race was over and I got into his face he told me it was his kid. Lots of apologizing on his part. The last thing you want to do is viciously berate someone on every lap of a 45 min race. My friends thought I was going to kill him.

BTW - I have a huge man crush on Voeckler. I love that little french SOB.

cekte
07-21-2014, 04:42 PM

I mean absolutely no offense by this and it's a bit off topic, but that sounds pretty standard for a cyclocross race. It's quite common in the PNW at least. I honestly wouldn't take offense to it, they were likely drinking a few and getting a bit overboard with the heckling. Not to say that it's okay that some take it too far with the shouting and heckling, but it's usually just in jest in my experience.

EDIT: Ah, sorry just read your previous post

jmoore
07-21-2014, 04:43 PM
I like Voeckler too. We need more characters like him in the peleton.

Lovetoclimb
07-21-2014, 04:51 PM
I mean absolutely no offense by this and it's a bit off topic, but that sounds pretty standard for a cyclocross race. It's quite common in the PNW at least. I honestly wouldn't take offense to it, they were likely drinking a few and getting a bit overboard with the heckling. Not to say that it's okay that some take it too far with the shouting and heckling, but it's usually just in jest in my experience.

EDIT: Ah, sorry just read your previous post

Heckling seems to have become a sport of its own at cross races. While some clever quips and the occasional hand-up of donuts, beer, etc will make me smile, most heckles I hear either at me or others seem rude and a bit moronic. The highlight of my personal heckling career was asking Tim Johnson for a post race mustache ride at Cincy3 several years ago. He of course smiled, threw me his Oakleys and said "take those to the CDale truck plebe!"

Road racing just does not have the culture that makes heckling ok IMO, and even in cross it seems to be going too far. Remember Sven Nys having beer thrown on him and stopping to confront the fan? That dude is a demigod in Belgium, if not all Euro cross. Must have been a Dutch fan there as well . . .

Saint Vitus
07-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Dude was totally sober. He didn't like that I was beating the guy in back of me. When the race was over and I got into his face he told me it was his kid. Lots of apologizing on his part. The last thing you want to do is viciously berate someone on every lap of a 45 min race. My friends thought I was going to kill him.

So you did beat his kid in the race then? Yeah I don't get parents sometimes, I would never blame the other guy if my kid was losing out to him but I guess some like to take a low road.

bcroslin
07-21-2014, 05:35 PM
So you did beat his kid in the race then? Yeah I don't get parents sometimes, I would never blame the other guy if my kid was losing out to him but I guess some like to take a low road.

The funny thing is that his kid beat me at the line. I couldn't figure out why he was singling me out and telling me to quit and other weird stuff. It wasn't heckling, it was personal. I then got in his face and he tells me he didn't mean it and the other guy was his kid. I was gob smacked. I actually felt really bad for his kid and it made for a very uncomfortable podium. We spoke at the next race and he apologized again and so did I and after another race or so he disappeared. Weird.

We're all about heckling in FLCX and we've actually got a reputation for having very strong heckle game even though our scene is small. We blew people away at Nats last year. Heckling comes with the territory in bike racing. We even heckle people in road races but its always good natured and we try and keep the jerk factor down.