PDA

View Full Version : Proper kid's road bike

Netdewt
07-21-2014, 02:56 PM
How many of you dads/moms have wanted to get your kid on a proper road bike? My oldest is only 6 but I don't want to think about it too late and miss a window to get him interested before he's too cool hang out with me. He is really slow on his single speed Hotrock; they have such high gearing.

There are a few options out there, like this Culprit 20", which would fit my 6 year old now.

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Culprit-Junior-One-kids-aero-road-bike-riding01.jpg

Or this Fuji Ace 24":
http://www.fujibikes.com/images/bike/ace-24/highres/2014_FUJI_Ace_24_SIDE.jpg

How awesome would it be to build one of these with Veloce? Or find an old tiny frame (47cm?) and build it up. Has anyone done this?

AngryScientist
07-21-2014, 03:02 PM
i posted this deal on a zinn roadie about a month ago, very sweet.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTY5WDk0OA==/z/uWEAAOSw-nZToxFQ/$_57.JPG

velotrack
07-21-2014, 03:06 PM
How old is your second? If you get a frame that fits now, you can always pass it down. I'm afraid an old small road frame might be too big and have too high of a stand over.

Netdewt
07-21-2014, 03:10 PM
I have a 6 year old, 5 year old, and a brand new one. Plenty of kids to pass down to. The oldest is only about 40" tall right now. I'm not sure his stand over, I'd have to check. He looks pretty small on the 20" still.

crownjewelwl
07-21-2014, 03:35 PM
you gotta ask yourself what makes it a "proper" road bike in that size...certainly no the geo...i guess the drop bars and gears?

if you're looking for gear range, a mtb is probably better

my kid is on a jake 24 and loves it (which is a cx bike). although kids want to do stupid things with bikes so a mtb would've probably been a better choice. he bangs it up. he wants to huck it off curbs and stuff like that.

the bike itself is nice but it is a brick. it is MUCH heavier than my road bike or mtb bike.

Netdewt
07-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Part curious if this is done/ can be done. Part want to build another bike. Part want to make him faster.

He would still have a "cheap" bike to bang up. Something like this would be for rides and wouldn't really be "his".

crownjewelwl
07-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Part curious if this is done/ can be done. Part want to build another bike. Part want to make him faster.

He would still have a "cheap" bike to bang up. Something like this would be for rides and wouldn't really be "his".

it can def be done but won't make him any faster!!

he would no doubt get a kick out of it though...that is certainly worth it

i re-wrapped my kid's with fluo yellow tape...he was so pumped

ultraman6970
07-21-2014, 03:52 PM
That culprit or whatever is like 1000 bucks and the cheappo one is like 800... that means that the frame is more expensive than any of my high ends? ···? :P

MattTuck
07-21-2014, 03:55 PM
At this point, I wouldn't worry so much about what is proper. Just keep him/her on a bike that they're having fun with. That is more important now and what will lead to a life time of enjoying riding.

I'm not a child psychologist, so please take my comment with a grain of salt.

thirdgenbird
07-21-2014, 04:01 PM
I want from a multi gear mtb to a bianchi road bike with a smaller (24in??) wheel. It was awesome. I consistently received my parents hand me down parts.

commonguy001
07-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Soma makes a Kids frame called the Bart
They also have a mini build kit for it that comes with downsized bars and cranks that are size correct (or appear to be).
Not too bad on the money front and if you could use it across 3 kids it'd be well worth it IMO.
Good luck!

Netdewt
07-21-2014, 04:28 PM
i re-wrapped my kid's with fluo yellow tape...he was so pumped

Haha, I laughed.

That culprit or whatever is like 1000 bucks and the cheappo one is like 800... that means that the frame is more expensive than any of my high ends? ···? :P

Yeah it's way too expensive, but if I could put solid parts on a cheap frame, that would be awesome.

At this point, I wouldn't worry so much about what is proper.

I know, it's not too big of a deal. But I guarantee that if he got to ride a bike that looked just like mine he would freak out.

They also have a mini build kit for it that comes with downsized bars and cranks that are size correct (or appear to be).
Not too bad on the money front and if you could use it across 3 kids it'd be well worth it IMO.
Good luck!

Yeah! I missed that! Very nice.

Saint Vitus
07-21-2014, 05:23 PM
At this point, I wouldn't worry so much about what is proper. Just keep him/her on a bike that they're having fun with. That is more important now and what will lead to a life time of enjoying riding.

I'm not a child psychologist, so please take my comment with a grain of salt.

Indeed.

My 13 year old likes classic cars and music, so I found an 80's Schwinn Prologue close to his size that piqued his interest in riding with his dad. It seems to have worked, we've been going on dev rides with a local cycling club every Saturday. Plus he likes riding and having something to take care of and mod (next up is swapping the DT for STI lol).

thirdgenbird
07-21-2014, 05:23 PM
Good luck!

Then he can sell it to me.

Indeed.

My 13 year old likes classic cars and music, so I found an 80's Schwinn Prologue close to his size that piqued his interest in riding with his dad. It seems to have worked, we've been going on dev rides with a local cycling club every Saturday. Plus he likes riding and having something to take care of and mod (next up is swapping the DT for STI lol).

I went from downtube to bar end to sti on my bianchi.

It was lugged and pink. It is probably one of the reasons I became a telekom fan.

pdmtong
07-21-2014, 07:09 PM
My daughters first road bike was a 24" wheeled trek kdr1000 kids road.
she could do 30/2500. doubt she could go that far as easily on knobbies

BUT, that said, I would not have been inclined to get her a 20" road bike to start "earlier".

There are a lot of things involved when riding on the road with cars, and a mistake has much more dire consequences than when riding a fire road or single track (exclusive of going too fast of course)

the biggest a-ha was having to constantly tell her EXACTLY where I want her on the road, since she as no sense of placement because she doesn't drive.

she is 14 now, and after many miles its less of an issue but still, you cant be making assumptions about riding with cars blowing past at 35-50mph.

Admiral Ackbar
07-21-2014, 08:12 PM
maybe check out islabikes, the seem to have a good rep

http://www.islabikes.com/us/

thirdgenbird
07-21-2014, 08:57 PM
The 1x cross bike is pretty sweet.

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/luath24.html

I wonder what US shipping would cost.

Netdewt
07-21-2014, 09:44 PM
BUT, that said, I would not have been inclined to get her a 20" road bike to start "earlier".

There are a lot of things involved when riding on the road with cars, and a mistake has much more dire consequences than when riding a fire road or single track (exclusive of going too fast of course)

Good point.

We have many, many miles, maybe hundreds of miles, of paved off road trails here. It's not really a concern at all except making sure he stays on the right side and isn't swerving.

pdmtong
07-21-2014, 11:17 PM
Good point.

We have many, many miles, maybe hundreds of miles, of paved off road trails here. It's not really a concern at all except making sure he stays on the right side and isn't swerving.

since that is the case, sure, a 20" road will be easier to pedal further.

just dont forge kids dont ride like we do., they ride between points, to see a bird, to get an ice cream, to play on a structure.

take him on a death march for miles and its the last time he will want to ride.

I spent HOURS riding dirt with my daughter. the pay off was the road endurance AND the ability to just rail some of the adv-intermediates at northstar at tahoe...lift assisted DH.

kids have their whole lives to ride if you get them excited.

EDS
07-22-2014, 09:01 AM
My daughters first road bike was a 24" wheeled trek kdr1000 kids road.
she could do 30/2500. doubt she could go that far as easily on knobbies

the biggest a-ha was having to constantly tell her EXACTLY where I want her on the road, since she as no sense of placement because she doesn't drive.

she is 14 now, and after many miles its less of an issue but still, you cant be making assumptions about riding with cars blowing past at 35-50mph.

I was helping out at a kids race this past weekend and there was a 6 year old girl riding a tiny trek road bike (looked like a 24" wheel, likely handed down as it had a team discovery-like paint job). That little girl was super cute and the smile she had after when she got her medal was priceless.

SpeedyChix
07-22-2014, 09:06 AM
islabikes.com Good stuff. We picked up two flat bar bikes for the 4 and 8 year old g-kids. Proper and well made. Shipping in the US is from Oregon so not a major deal.

pdmtong
07-22-2014, 09:26 AM
I was helping out at a kids race this past weekend and there was a 6 year old girl riding a tiny trek road bike (looked like a 24" wheel, likely handed down as it had a team discovery-like paint job). That little girl was super cute and the smile she had after when she got her medal was priceless.

That's the one. Discovery paint was the last year of the trek kdr1000

These things hold value. Bought mine used and sold it for $100 more three years later

Netdewt
07-22-2014, 10:53 AM
I'm no slave driver. I just think it would be fun to build a tiny bike my kid could ride fast. I think they'd have fun with it too.

Alternatively, I have been eyeing the Bike Friday Family Tandem because little kids can ride stoker. That would be a fun build too! They don't sell frame only, I'd have to find a used one.

That's the one. Discovery paint was the last year of the trek kdr1000

Looks awesome.

Villgaxx
07-22-2014, 11:22 AM
maybe check out islabikes, the seem to have a good rep

insanely high, especially for what you get.

if your kid is ready for a real 24"-wheeled mountain bike or a jake 24 type bike, you can get more bike for less money at your friendly, neighborhood local bike shop, with the huge benefit that you are getting a bike locally with a known brand name.

and if your kid is ready--and by ready i mean tall enough--keep an eye out for xs or xxs road bikes from normal bike brands. some of those are pretty freeking small and go for crazy low prices on closeout, and your kid would look way cooler on a real bike instead of some toy brand.

the key is to pass them down to younger siblings or sell them to the next family when you no longer need them.

i've recently been on the hunt for a small road bike for a child, and they are out there. there are some nice ones in shops for 2014/2015 in the xs adult bike section and plenty on the interwebs if you're not picky about exact color + stuff.

Liv2RideHard
07-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Bought my oldest a Redline Conquest 20. 20" version of their CX bike...with a flat bar. I did not want to put him on a drop bar bike yet...just too young. He can shred but is just not ready for a true road set-up. Plus with a flat bar we can hit singletrack and he can do more with the bike. For this age, that is all they need.

notoriousdjw
07-22-2014, 11:40 AM
The 1x cross bike is pretty sweet.

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/luath24.html

I wonder what US shipping would cost.

They have a US-based office in Portland, OR:

Netdewt
07-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Bought my oldest a Redline Conquest 20. 20" version of their CX bike...with a flat bar. I did not want to put him on a drop bar bike yet...just too young. He can shred but is just not ready for a true road set-up. Plus with a flat bar we can hit singletrack and he can do more with the bike. For this age, that is all they need.

Not a bad idea. I am sort of regretting just getting him the single speed coaster brake BMX-ish bike. It's what I had at his age so I didn't think anything of it.

The Redline is sweet. Why no drop bar? Dangerous somehow?

Roger M
07-22-2014, 01:20 PM
I found a Cannondale r400 with 650c wheels a few years ago on Craigslist. I was hoping my daughter would take to it, but she wanted nothing to do with drop bars and sti shifters. She rode it a couple times and was horrified. She's thirteen now and is happy with flat bars and thumb shifting on a MTB.

My son is 6 and hopefully next year he'll be riding that bike. He is anxious to try it.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/IMG_20130329_180301_299.jpg

pdmtong
07-22-2014, 01:30 PM
the kdr1000 has sora 8speed. daughters hands were able to shift the cassette but too small to throw the lever for the chainrings. we had to stop and manually shift it when needed.

next bike was a 44cm specialized with 700c and tiagra. some improvement in being able to shift

current bike is a 48cm specialized carbon ruby with 105 10sp. she can shift that herself all day and loves the feel. kids can tell.

why specialized? because there are plenty of women who buy and then sell these things on local CL. when she stops growing and rides more I will get her a
carbon Di2 ... carbon for light weight and electric being perfect for women with smaller hands.

after her 24" mtb I got her on a XS santa cruz juliana...this is the cheapest small FS with hydro discs out there. she is now on a specialized safire 120mm. brain shock, FOX / XO etc. probably swap that out for a small AM 29er in the next year or so.

I dont mind spending the money since she can really ride AND these bikes I can resell locally

giverdada
07-22-2014, 02:07 PM
i almost got a really nice (and autographed!) kids' argon here on the forum and it wasn't an arm and a leg and it was a great set-up. then my lady found a brand new garneau through her friend who is a rep so we went with that. either way, brifters (can't stand that word) were a must for us as the kid is still getting used to shifting, let alone taking hands off bars to do so while moving. the garneau is built with microshift parts which seem to work well for the 9-year-old. she's on platform pedals, and can actually outride me if i race her while i'm running. this is a first for her bikes. 24" wheels are crazy heavy and i'm hoping to build her some that are less tankish, but in the meantime, she loves riding the thing, when her elbow isn't broken… cast comes off on thursday. here's hoping!

n.

djg
07-22-2014, 06:12 PM
We had a couple of kids do stints on the little Specialized road bike with 24" wheels. Yellow & black -- my daughter called it the bumble-bike. I think it ran us somewhere around 600 bucks, but this was some time ago. Likely list it before long.

thirdgenbird
07-22-2014, 06:19 PM
They have a US-based office in Portland, OR:

When I try changing regions I get an adobe flash error

ceolwulf
07-24-2014, 06:40 PM
Just discovered that Fondriest makes a very nice looking kid's bike. Not cheap, I'm guessing.

http://www.fondriestbici.com/bike.php?id=20

Netdewt
07-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Just discovered that Fondriest makes a very nice looking kid's bike. Not cheap, I'm guessing.

http://www.fondriestbici.com/bike.php?id=20

That is cool. What is a 22" wheel? It's got all that Miche Young stuff on it that doesn't seem very available here.

thirdgenbird
07-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Now that is proper

pdmtong
07-24-2014, 10:36 PM
pinarello makes one too