PDA

View Full Version : Bib short head scratcher - anyone seen this?

druptight
07-21-2014, 12:58 PM
Alright, so I got these Road Holland bibs early this season, they arrived and looked good. Wore them on one commute (20 miles round trip), which was an unspectacular ride. Nothing happened outside of getting on and off my bike. Washed them once in the same way I wash all my bibs of varying brands - in the frontloader with other laundry, gentle detergent, then hung them dry.

Here's where the oddity begins. They come out of the wash with this patch of white looking spots on the front of the right leg. The "spots" seem to have a slightly rougher consistency than the rest of the fabric, but hardly detectable. When dampened with H2O, they disappear, so it's not a bleach stain or anything of the like (we don't have any bleach in the house anyhow). They're also fully visible from the inside of the shorts.

I've washed them a few extra times since to see if it will fade or go away, always hung dry. Spots remain.

Anyone seen anything like this before? I can't figure out how it could be something I did. Nothing else in the load of laundry had any issues, nor the jersey I wore that day, but as mentioned, I didn't notice these spots that first day I wore them. This is the only reason I didn't immediately jump to it being a fabric issue and emailing the company. Anyone seen anything like this before? Home remedies? Ideas?

Dry:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/druptight/photo1-3.jpg (http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/druptight/media/photo1-3.jpg.html)

After dampening:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/druptight/photo22-1.jpg (http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/druptight/media/photo22-1.jpg.html)

sc53
07-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Never seen this before--but the Road Holland guys rode Bike VA this year and they are both really nice, sincere, friendly and seem devoted to customer service. I'd let them know what has happened and I'm sure they will make it right. Looks like something got on the fabric long before you bought and rode them. Maybe in shipping or in the store.

mcteague
07-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Must....resist....crude.....comment.

Tim

MattTuck
07-21-2014, 01:06 PM

Tim

protein stains?

Seriously, that seems like a defect in the fabric. The way you described it (rougher consistency) may be a degradation of the lycra elasticity. I'd call the maker, and tell them. Probably just a defect in the manufacturing of the actual fabric.

druptight
07-21-2014, 01:07 PM

Tim

I know.... I was waiting for it.

mdeeds71
07-21-2014, 01:07 PM
This looks like some type of acid staining…and given it is rougher in texture also points to it…and the fact it disappears when wetted also seems to go right with that type of spill. I had this on some work clothes that I wear with my civ job that can from a aircraft battery issue.

Charles M
07-21-2014, 01:09 PM
That actually looks familiar... and it sucks for you potentially.

If your front loader was used to wash whites prior to this load and there was any residual bleach as you loaded the washer, that can splatter down and make marks that look exactly like this (and they'll dull with water)...

Above post is another option... Any bike cleaner or other things that potentially got on your hands and got whipped on...

druptight
07-21-2014, 01:15 PM
This looks like some type of acid staining…and given it is rougher in texture also points to it…and the fact it disappears when wetted also seems to go right with that type of spill. I had this on some work clothes that I wear with my civ job that can from a aircraft battery issue.

I'm an accountant and don't come into contact with any acids. I'd say this is unlikely.

That actually looks familiar... and it sucks for you potentially.

If your front loader was used to wash whites prior to this load and there was any residual bleach as you loaded the washer, that can splatter down and make marks that look exactly like this (and they'll dull with water)...

Above post is another option... Any bike cleaner or other things that potentially got on your hands and got whipped on...

We don't have any bleach in the house, and I never have time to wash my bike. The only bike cleaner I've got in the house is the pedro's bike lust stuff, but it hasn't been out of the bin in probably at least a season. I just wipe the bike down with a dry old t-shirt if it gets nasty.

I really don't think I could have spilled any sort of liquid on these during my commute or immediately before/after, there's really nothing for me to come into contact with. :confused:

mdeeds71
07-21-2014, 01:24 PM
I'm an accountant and don't come into contact with any acids. I'd say this is unlikely.

The acid could be from as simple as a AA or even a battery from a cycle computer…or even transfer from another location that had the acid on it.

It just looks all to familiar from what I had on my slacks.

My transfer came from a mechanic that changed one of our batteries and touched the cockpit seat with his gloves that then transferred to my slacks when I sat down to fly the aircraft…nothing to do with actually handling the source.

druptight
07-21-2014, 01:27 PM
The acid could be from as simple as a AA or even a battery from a cycle computer…or even transfer from another location that had the acid on it.

It just looks all to familiar from what I had on my slacks.

My transfer came from a mechanic that changed one of our batteries and touched the cockpit seat with his gloves that then transferred to my slacks when I sat down to fly the aircraft…nothing to do with actually handling the source.

Interesting. My USB charged garmin and tail light aren't leaking and both working properly. Unless I leaned up against something somewhere I just don't come into contact with much, especially not on the front of my right thigh. Bring bike out of house, hop on, enter building at work through the back, bike goes into the small bike room, and then straight to the gym to change. As I said, anything's possible and maybe probably since I didn't notice this marking on the shorts out of the package, but it just seems so weird.

Louis
07-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Ignore - I see it's been covered above.

Gustave
07-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Druptight is the winner!

This was a secret ink we put on this pair of bibs and whoever received them and noticed was going to be the recipient of an all-expense paid, luxury cycling trip with Richard and Jonathan! Congrats!

Ok - well it's not as exciting as that... We have not seen this before but I would like to take a look at them. We trust you about not having used bleach, acid, etc. and will warrant them of course.

Thanks all, I'll post an update on this when I figure it out and do the fluid analysis test.

Jonathan Schneider
Road Holland

David Tollefson
07-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Druptight is the winner!

This was a secret ink we put on this pair of bibs and whoever received them and noticed was going to be the recipient of an all-expense paid, luxury cycling trip with Richard and Jonathan! Congrats!

Ok - well it's not as exciting as that... We have not seen this before but I would like to take a look at them. We trust you about not having used bleach, acid, etc. and will warrant them of course.

Thanks all, I'll post an update on this when I figure it out and do the fluid analysis test.

Jonathan Schneider
Road Holland

Customer service at its finest.

redir
07-21-2014, 02:58 PM

Tim

The blue dress? :eek:

RedRider
07-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Druptight is the winner!

Jonathan Schneider
Road Holland

Nice and with a sense of humor!

ultraman6970
07-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Did you put that under infrared light already??

:D

druptight
07-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Did you put that under infrared light already??

:D

Pretty sure I can find more comfortable things to wear for such implied activities :no:

josephr
07-21-2014, 09:14 PM
if I'm interpreting the pictures rights, it looks like its about the same spot on both legs. Is that where you take your HGH injections???

Jason E
07-21-2014, 09:35 PM
My cousin got a RH jersey for me as a gift. Just ordered a second. Great product. Now great client service too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiretrax
07-21-2014, 09:37 PM
Druptight is the winner!

Jonathan Schneider
Road Holland

I'm glad you're on here. I enjoyed your TdF interview video. GO LANCE!

druptight
07-21-2014, 09:58 PM
if I'm interpreting the pictures rights, it looks like its about the same spot on both legs. Is that where you take your HGH injections???

No, only on the right leg. And trust me, if you saw my avg speeds either the HGH isn't working, or they're giving me placebo.

Gustave
08-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Hi all -

I promised to update everyone on the "spot" issue that occurred with Jonathan's bibs.

After thorough analysis, we unfortunately cannot determine what it is. We think it might have been an uneven dye spot on the lycra - the black may have been a little less dense in these areas so moisture or washing caused it to fade more quickly than it should. But I am happy to say this is an isolated incident.

We did do the full panel of HGH, EPO, and other substance tests but they all turned up negative.

Thanks,

Jonathan

gasman
08-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Hi all -

I promised to update everyone on the "spot" issue that occurred with Jonathan's bibs.

We did do the full panel of HGH, EPO, and other substance tests but they all turned up negative.

Thanks,

Jonathan

He's lucky, he won't be stripped of his titles then.

great customer service with a smile.

jr59
08-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Outstanding!

BTW; I enjoy your bibs very much. I have a couple of your jerseys as well, but in the summer in the deep south, it's a bit warm to wear on a ride. Still overall good stuff!