PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive CX wheel advice please...

RGW
07-21-2014, 12:41 PM
I'm looking at 3 wheelsets all somewhat comparably priced at Velomine. I'll be using these on my CX bike. I weigh 200#, so need something somewhat sturdy.

1) Mavic Open Pro / Shimano 105 hubs / DT 2.0 spokes (32 cnt)
2) Velocity A23 / Shimano 105 hubs / DT 2.0 spokes (32 cnt)
3) H Son Archetype / Shimano 105 hubs / DT 2.0 spokes (32 cnt)

I'm leaning toward either the A23s or the Archetype as I like the 23mm width

Any thoughts on what direction to take??? thanks!!

pakora
07-21-2014, 12:55 PM
I've raced two seasons at 215 or so on Ksyriums and this has only further solidified my idea that they are the most amazing wheels you can get for the price.

Both my pairs came with complete bikes and unknown mileage and I've treated them terribly while they just smile. Only one issue, which was caused by out and out abuse (leaning hard into a turn and hitting the rear wheel on an unseen root, hopping in the air, and landing ungracefully, still leaning, on another, which dented the rim). Oh, and wearing out freehubs. Known issue (due to the plastic bushing they use).

I say this because they seem to go pretty cheap used.

If model years matter mine are 1999 or 2000 SSCs and 2006 or 7 Elites.

dan682
07-21-2014, 01:13 PM
I'd get the Archetypes out of those 3 choices. Slightly heavier and stronger than the A23s and seem to be a bit better quality.

Friend of mine got that exact set from Velomine - they did need a little truing when he got them since they're machine built.

oldpotatoe
07-21-2014, 01:26 PM
I'd get the Archetypes out of those 3 choices. Slightly heavier and stronger than the A23s and seem to be a bit better quality.

Friend of mine got that exact set from Velomine - they did need a little truing when he got them since they're machine built.

Actually handmade by the guys at QBP, HandSpun.

For cross, I'd say the same, hubset far superior to any Mavic wheel plus off the shelf stuff. Less $ new than used krysirium, IMHO.

Dired
07-21-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm 215 and run 28/32 a23s with circus monkey hubs (~1550g for the set). Only trued the wheels once over 2k road miles.

<edit - all miles on pavement>

ohsnapitsed
07-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Out of your 3 suggested, H+ to 105s without a doubt. Just had a set build at my local shop of the same combo - so far they are awesome!

I'm coming off a set of early 2000's Ksyriums, and I abused them to no end. Wouldn't have stopped riding them, but I wrecked them and there was no coming back.

Also 200# fwiw.

hudsonp
07-21-2014, 05:10 PM
For the money you can not beat Vuelta Corsa SuperLite tubulars.
Bomber, cheap and light.

bcroslin
07-21-2014, 05:40 PM
A23's or better yet Major Toms laced to Dt240's (cheaper) or White Industries (spendy).

I've had great luck with both but some folks think the fit and finish of the Velocity stuff isn't as good as other manufacturers. YMMV.

EDIT: how do the 105's hold up in water and mud?

ceolwulf
07-21-2014, 05:47 PM
I have yet to use mine in CX conditions, but the Campy Khamsin CX are good strong wheels, come with double sealed hubs made for 'cross conditions, and are excellent value. Just another option to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RGW
07-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Great input everyone...thanks. I should have mentioned the caveat that they would have to be clinchers. I haven't made the leap to tubulars yet!

Seems like the Archetypes get a a lot of praise. Might be going that route.

Gummee
07-21-2014, 09:45 PM
You really should try tubular for CX. MUCH better than clinchers.

M

ohsnapitsed
07-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Great input everyone...thanks. I should have mentioned the caveat that they would have to be clinchers. I haven't made the leap to tubulars yet!

Seems like the Archetypes get a a lot of praise. Might be going that route.

Having ridden the A23s and Archetypes, so far the Archetypes feel a bit stronger.

I really like them so far. If I remember I'll pop back in after the weekend and let you know how they do in gravel - as I've only commuted on them so far.