PDA

View Full Version : My sweet new ride

rhg
02-27-2006, 07:58 AM
This is my new Indian-made bicycle; it cost me around $60. It weighs something around 40lbs and rides like a boat. Most importantly, it proudly ignores any new bicycle innovation of the last 90 years.

On a Serotta-related note: it's made of steel :D :banana:

William
02-27-2006, 08:00 AM
Love the aerodynamic chain guard. :cool:

William

scrooge
02-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Looks like fun! Tell us more.
Was it actually new? Is it a single speed? Custom sizing? :D

rhg
02-27-2006, 08:09 AM
Sure, it looks like something out the early 20th century, but it's new. Bicycles like these are nearly omnipresent in the Subcontinent of India, the Middle East, and in Africa. For many folks, they represent a serious investment of capital.

And, not, it actually doesn't fit me much :) ... but then again, I just ride it to the office.

Too Tall
02-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Think Raleigh Tourist.

Blastinbob
02-27-2006, 08:22 AM
I saw one just like it at the TOC. I didn't know it was new.

yeehawfactor
02-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Sure, it looks like something out the early 20th century, but it's new. Bicycles like these are nearly omnipresent in the Subcontinent of India, the Middle East, and in Africa. For many folks, they represent a serious investment of capital.

And, not, it actually doesn't fit me much :) ... but then again, I just ride it to the office.
i almost bought one in ghana last summer. 1.1 million cedis, or approximately 100 bucks. woulda coulda shoulda

dbrk
02-27-2006, 08:26 AM
I still own one and it's kept at my teacher's house in India. I rode one of these things EVERYWHERE and thousands of miles, just sitting up, pedaling in sandals. Oh, that chainguard works great when you are riding to visit Churchill in your lungi at the back of the ol'Mahatma's entourage...Plus, this thing is sturdy enough to put the whole family on: handlebar rides, double seating...done it all on my Hero.

dbrk

Too Tall
02-27-2006, 10:17 AM
There is an accessory I've been looking for...the front fork brace. It allows you to do very silly things. Darn cool bike. There is an china version too? Swallow?

rhg
02-27-2006, 11:58 AM
...although the Chinese bikes have a reputation of being much cheaper. This one'll rust to death before it breaks.

Kevan
02-27-2006, 12:34 PM
and it comes with its own towel bar too!

I think you're ready for hauling major appliances. Which leads me to asking...

Dr. Doofus
02-27-2006, 12:44 PM
that short stem is mp

and hinault would say you need longer cranks

no cosmics?

Serpico
02-27-2006, 12:53 PM
your saddle looks like it ate a Brooks

and ***, is that a slinky hanging off the back??--I've never seen a sprung saddle with the coils compressed and no one sitting on it

Louis
02-27-2006, 02:08 PM
your saddle looks like it ate a Brooks

and ***, is that a slinky hanging off the back??--I've never seen a sprung saddle with the coils compressed and no one sitting on it

That's because the springs work in tension, not compression...

vandeda
02-27-2006, 04:49 PM
That thing is mad hot ... I think I'd rather have that than my Electra as my cruiser to work (2 miles each way). I love it, just soooo different it rocks!

Dan

mjb266
02-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Seroiusly, can we buy one here in the States? I would love one of these!

Louis
02-27-2006, 09:19 PM
When I was a kid my first two two-wheeled bikes were British versions of a somewhat similar bike (except that mine did not have two top tubes). I wish I could remember the brands. I'm sure my parents have some pictures somewhere. My last one was red. I also remember my tricycle. That one was blue and white...

What I most remember about the two-wheelers were the rod-actuated brakes. They were a real PITA for a little kid to adjust. As you can see in the pictures the rear rods go through a bunch of turns and bellcranks. It was also tricky to get the rods to behave properly at the head tube where they cross as you turn the handlebars. Adjusting the front pads by twisting those clamps that support the rod guide was also no fun...

I was so used to the whole system that when I first saw a bike with cable-actuated brakes I remember thinking how crazy one had to be to trust a tiny little wire, when a rod was much stronger! To think that I now trust my life many times on each ride to a wire.

Talk about a trip down memory lane.

Louis

jerk
02-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Seroiusly, can we buy one here in the States? I would love one of these!

yeah sure. it'll be 50 bucks plus $1200 shipping from india!

jerk

mjb266
02-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Sucks....seroiusly, can we get these? Any Indian importers out there who ship tons of asst. shat?

rhg
02-28-2006, 07:39 PM
It's funny how many of my friends have asked about how to get one. But unless you've got a friend with spare shipping container space, it'd be really prohibitive to ship one using consumer-commercial methods. And it doesn't lend itself to one of those nice breakdowns like my Serotta.

But if my friend Tom is successful in getting them here, I'll let you all know. However, I've got to note that although he's a hell of a lot of fun, he rarely carries through on his enthusiasms.