PDA

View Full Version : Ft Worth mayor-on-a-bike

mvrider
07-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Would anyone living there care to comment?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/21/us/politics/fort-worth-mayor-betsy-price-bikes-to-connect-with-residents.html

jlwdm
07-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Not sure what to comment on. Like the article says she rides a lot and is a big bike supporter. I have not met her.

Jeff

Mikej
07-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Gotta admit if I were in politics I wouldn't be an open bike supporter. So good on her.

biker72
07-21-2014, 04:27 PM
She's done a lot for the Ft. Worth cycling community.

Even her accident didn't slow her down. She got crosswise in some loose gravel, broke her collar bone and suffered a concussion....with her helmet on.

Ralph
07-21-2014, 04:42 PM
It's rare to find a progressive mayor in her party. Good for her. Sounds like someone I sure could support. A non political mayor getting the job done. Our Mayor will show himself on a bike during "bike to work" week, but that's it.

07-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Texas has stood out from every other government in the country for the quality of its female political leaders.

I'm moving.

texbike
07-21-2014, 07:20 PM
I can't speak to the mayor of Ft. Worth, but can say that I REALLY like that town. As Austin has continued to grow like crazy, my wife and I have considered moving there. It still has a nice, smaller feel to it, great access to biking, a fantastic economy, proximity to an international airport, a great art scene, numerous lakes in the area, and very reasonable housing prices. A progressive mayor is just icing on the cake.

dmurphey
07-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Mayor Betsy is a rider and wants to spread the owrd to get folks out on their bikes. She hosts short easy rides each week in the summer tha tare desribed it the NYT article this am. She also organized a Saturday ride in the fall at the local AF/Army reserve base that lets us make a lap around the base and down the runway of the airbase. This is a gas. She is really an approachable friendly political person. It is nice of the NYT to write up this story.

cmg
07-21-2014, 11:32 PM
good for her. Texas as a whole has a large obesity problem so any thing that encourages exercise is good. SA's fixed/single speed community is way larger than the roadies and that's a recent development. will it get people out of there cars...i doubt it. maybe the city will get safer streets.

Cornfed
07-22-2014, 12:25 AM
... pun intended. She's on RAGBRAI right now: http://ragbrai.com/2014/07/21/munson-texas-mayor-serious-about-biking-for-public-health/