PDA

View Full Version : OT James Garner RIP

Birddog
07-21-2014, 06:40 AM
Easily one of the most likable actors of all time. I got my first taste of Garner when he played Maverick. I loved the Rockford Files. His easy going ways and sly grin will last forever.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/21/movies/james-garner-actor-dies-at-86.html?_r=0

Climb01742
07-21-2014, 06:52 AM
Agree, really enjoyed his low key style and wit. Rockford Files were lots of fun to watch. And his Polaroid TV spots were soft sell at its best.

thwart
07-21-2014, 06:59 AM
Yep. Really liked his non-macho persona.

Aaron O
07-21-2014, 07:41 AM
My lasting memory of him will always be The Great Escape. He had style.

Mr. Pink
07-21-2014, 07:47 AM
Grand Prix is still a top five auto racing film.

texbike
07-21-2014, 07:49 AM
I grew up watching old reruns of Maverick with my Grandad. James Garner made that show. RIP.

Birddog
07-21-2014, 08:12 AM
When Rockford aired I lived out in the boonies of Northern NM and I didn't have a TV. I would drive 12 miles to a nearby town to watch the show in a popular watering hole where there were usually about a dozen people watching. My memory is that in one particularly harrowing episode, Rockford almost lost his life a few times and the show concluded with him quitting the case because it was too dangerous. We were stunned and then started laughing. Does anybody else remember that? or is my mind failing.

David Tollefson
07-21-2014, 08:13 AM
I think it's funny when people who have never seen The Rockford Files talk about doing a Rockford turn-around...

Thanks for all the memories, James. Godspeed.

redir
07-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Ah that's too bad. 86 is a pretty good run though.

Admiral Ackbar
07-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Grand Prix is still a top five auto racing film.

same here, very sad to hear of his passing.

Bostic
07-21-2014, 10:45 AM
As a young kid I remember The Rockford Files being on tv but never paid much attention to it. I really liked his role in Victor Victoria.

LegendRider
07-21-2014, 11:08 AM
I have had the Rockford Files theme song playing in my head since I learned of his passing.

makoti
07-21-2014, 11:24 AM
When Rockford aired I lived out in the boonies of Northern NM and I didn't have a TV. I would drive 12 miles to a nearby town to watch the show in a popular watering hole where there were usually about a dozen people watching. My memory is that in one particularly harrowing episode, Rockford almost lost his life a few times and the show concluded with him quitting the case because it was too dangerous. We were stunned and then started laughing. Does anybody else remember that? or is my mind failing.

Didn't he quit every case at least once every episode? ;-) Loved Rockford. RIP, Jimmy.

07-21-2014, 05:49 PM
That NYT obit was one of the best they've ever written. A great man and a great story.

pbarry
07-21-2014, 05:55 PM
He did most if not all of the driving stunts on the RF.

alancw3
07-22-2014, 09:45 AM
TCM had a great picture remembrance of jim all day yesterday between movies. also next monday starting at 6am and continuing all day his movies will be shown.

interesting when robert osbourn interviewed james garner on tcm. anyway jim said that he counld't believe how great it was to work for clint eastwood as a director. go to work at 9am and finish at 5pm. no bs and you better no your lines. jim had so much respect for clint for the way he directed a picture. interesting. who would have thought that about clint eastwood.

another interesting thing from that interview was that the european people did not want james garner in the grand prix movie as they thought him to be just another american pretty boy. with his easy going ways and professionalism he won over the director and was praised for his performance. again in his words just doing my job to make a living to pay the bills. also had a great appreciation of "support your local sheriff as he directed and produced it and in his words got some nice reside form the movie. just seems to be a genuine nice guy in the interview.