PDA

View Full Version : SLX versus TI

mink70
02-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Hi--

I need some experienced riders to answer a question. I've just gotten hit by a car and had my pretty orange 54cm Serotta steel Classique wrecked.

I loved the geometry, but didn't find the bike very comfortable. With its Reynolds 853 tubing on the main tubes and something else (Tange? Reynolds 520?) in the rear, the bike rode like an old aluminum frame, in other words tight, buzzy and really harsh over cracks and potholes. Not at all like my 20-year-old Raleigh lugged cro-moly beater with a steel fork, which rides soft and cushy. The wheels were Mavic Cosmos. I weigh 230 lbs, so that's another factor.

So now I need to replace it--the candidates are a (straight-gauge) titanium Classique with a carbon fork, or a lugged Colnago SLX with a steel one. I've never ridden either Columbus SLX or titanium, so am wondering how the two would compare and which to get. Can't ride ride them pre-purchase.

Can anyone offer their impressions?

Thanks in advance,
mink70 :hello:

Ken Robb
02-27-2006, 04:10 AM
I'm trying to picture a 230 lb.rider on a 54cm frame.

JasonF
02-27-2006, 08:57 AM
First off, Mink I hope you were not seriously hurt and that you're recovering well. Kudos to you for wanting to get back on the saddle.

If the driver of the car was at fault, you could very easily have their insurance company cut you a check for the bike of your dreams. If that was all it took to get you to go away, the adjuster would settle for the cost of a new high-end bike in a nanosecond. Serotta does an excellent job turning around custom bikes so your wait wouldn't be too long.

If you have your heart set between two existing bikes, I would opt for the steel frame/fork but that's just me. SLX is a very hardy tubeset that was the material of choice for riders in the pro peloton in the late 80s. Considering your weight, I'm sure it would hold up quite nicely.

Remember that choosing the right set of wheels and tires will go a long way in determining ride quality. The stiffest most uncomfortable AL frame can be effectively dampened with 25-28c tires and a lower pressure if that's your goal.

Good luck.

JohnS
02-27-2006, 09:25 AM
+1

Serotta PETE
02-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Mink, first thing to do is measure the two bikes from c-c down tube and also the top tube. Some Colnagos (as well as others) are measured differently. As to which tubing,,,,,pick the one that the fit is the closest to your Raleigh/or the one wrecked - independent of tubing

Insure as much as possible that neither were wrecked previously.

As to which one is better for you - - that is pretty personal. You mention that the your other one road harsh - for this reason I would lean toward the TI for the ride characteristics. This is not to say anything is wrong with the Colnago - just that the ride will probably transmit more of the road,

As to confort - - go with the Michelin 25s or some tire of that size. It will give a confy ride.

mink70
02-27-2006, 10:25 AM

I think I look rather dashing climbing up the hill to Nyack, grinding away in 30 X 25. We're not all flawless specimens, Ken, but we love cycling. :butt:

Serotta PETE
02-27-2006, 12:18 PM
I think I look rather dashing climbing up the hill to Nyack, grinding away in 30 X 25. We're not all flawless specimens, Ken, but we love cycling. :butt:

I know that hill in NYACK and that is not something that is done casually. Definitely requires dedication, conditioning, and grit.

PETE

Ken Robb
02-27-2006, 12:27 PM
heck, all hills require that from me.

Fixed
02-27-2006, 01:51 PM
bro the nago is a race bike. do you want a race bike? cheers :beer:

mink70
02-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Sorry to be thick, but what makes the Colnago a "race bike" as opposed to the Serotta Classique? Geometry, wheel base? Thanks, Alex.

Fixed
02-27-2006, 04:59 PM
bro I think you should ride both and then make up your mind include a hill a sprint and some cornors .cheers and good luck all serotta's are good bikes even the entry models i.m.h.o. cheers
bro you want a soft ride I think you might like the serotta classic ti cheers

97CSI
02-27-2006, 06:43 PM
I think I look rather dashing climbing up the hill to Nyack, grinding away in 30 X 25. We're not all flawless specimens, Ken, but we love cycling. :butt:Amen, mink70. I ride an '87 Paramount (lugged SLX) and decided in '02 I needed to upgrade. You know. Just needed to 'do it' type of thing. Bought a Scapin EOS3, tigged Columbus (you can see a pic, just do a search on Scapin) frameset. It proved to be a terrific bike. But, being flush, I decided I needed another upgrade in '03 and bought a Dean custom Ti frame. Nice bike, dealing with Dean is a hassle, and it wasn't the Paramount or the Scapin. Sold it after a year and bought a Serotta CdA. Same result. Nice bike but didn't handle as well and wasn't as comfortable as the Scapin or the Paramount. Long story made short, the SLX Paramount and Scapin are the most comfortable and best handling bikes I've owned. I don't see ever needing another bike (unless I happen on an inexpensive CSi). I found the Dean Ti to be 'lacking' in something. And, sorry to say, the CdA, as well. So, or me, SLX and Columbus tubing has that 'je ne sais quoi' that remains undefined, but provides the best of rides. And, I am just coming off my usual winter 230 and ride a 54.5. So, yes, we exist. By summer I'll be under 200 and ready for anything (at a moderate pace, mind you :D ). I digress.

Serotta PETE
02-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Sorry to be thick, but what makes the Colnago a "race bike" as opposed to the Serotta Classique? Geometry, wheel base? Thanks, Alex.

You mention NYACK so you must be close to PARKRIDGE NJ. Give Mike a call or stop in at CYCLESPORT> They carry both COLNAGO and SEROTTA. (yes you'al knew I was going to get a plug in for CYCLESPORT>

See my other note in regard to ride - but in general the COLNAGO will be transmit more road vibration. Usually the angles, fork rake, etc are tuned for a quicker reflex. Mike can give you more detail. 201-391-5269.

Tell him PETE is dropping his name again.

mink70
02-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Amen, mink70. I ride an '87 Paramount (lugged SLX) and decided in '02 I needed to upgrade. You know. Just needed to 'do it' type of thing. Bought a Scapin EOS3, tigged Columbus (you can see a pic, just do a search on Scapin) frameset. It proved to be a terrific bike. But, being flush, I decided I needed another upgrade in '03 and bought a Dean custom Ti frame. Nice bike, dealing with Dean is a hassle, and it wasn't the Paramount or the Scapin. Sold it after a year and bought a Serotta CdA. Same result. Nice bike but didn't handle as well and wasn't as comfortable as the Scapin or the Paramount. Long story made short, the SLX Paramount and Scapin are the most comfortable and best handling bikes I've owned. I don't see ever needing another bike (unless I happen on an inexpensive CSi). I found the Dean Ti to be 'lacking' in something. And, sorry to say, the CdA, as well. So, or me, SLX and Columbus tubing has that 'je ne sais quoi' that remains undefined, but provides the best of rides. And, I am just coming off my usual winter 230 and ride a 54.5. So, yes, we exist. By summer I'll be under 200 and ready for anything (at a moderate pace, mind you :D ). I digress.

Thanks, gpdavis2, that really hit the spot. And I'll give Cyclosport a call.

Climb01742
02-28-2006, 04:01 AM
you might also see if you could find a merckx mx leader. seems like it might fit the bill.

mink70
02-28-2006, 02:05 PM
The MX Leader reissue is $1600 for a new frame and fork. Kinda dear considering all the great vintage bike frames available for a quarter of that.

I spoke to Kelly Bedford at Serotta, who he said that tube diameter determines 90% of frame stiffness and road feel, therefore an SLX bike would feel much more compliant than any steel frame made of oversized tubing, like 853, Brain, Nemo, etc.

So I guess the Colnago is will feel better under my butt. But I still wonder about TI...

97CSI
02-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Had one of the 'good' Colnago Mexico bikes (made in Italy) ten years ago. Full SR. One of two bikes I've sold over the years that I wish I had kept (the other being an '89 Paramount). You will be very happy with the Colnago. And, if not, you will most likely get your money back due to their popularity. BTW, which model are you looking at?

mink70
03-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Had one of the 'good' Colnago Mexico bikes (made in Italy) ten years ago. Full SR. One of two bikes I've sold over the years that I wish I had kept (the other being an '89 Paramount). You will be very happy with the Colnago. And, if not, you will most likely get your money back due to their popularity. BTW, which model are you looking at?

Its a violet and pearl white 54x54 frame with matching painted steel fork. The rear dropouts are Campy with adjusting screws, tubing is SLX, I was told it's 1990. A bike shop had it lying around. They said they built it up once but that it's never been ridden. It looks new. The rear wheel clearance is tight--to get the wheel into the dropouts I had to deflate the rear tire. I've had it for a few months; wondering wether to build it up or opt for a built up Serotta Classique Ti with Ultegra. If anyone knows what it is, I'd appreciate the info. :confused:

Ken Robb
03-01-2006, 12:00 PM
It's a good-looking bike and you already own it. I don't see much risk in building it and riding it a few hundred miles to see if you fall in love. I found that I had to ride quite a few different bikes before I could understand and convey to others what my preferences in bikes are.

If you decide to have a new frame/fork built afterward a good designer/builder will be able to interpret your input into your special dream bike.

You can use the parts that you put on this one on that dream bike too so there's no loss there either.

Samster
03-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Its a violet and pearl white 54x54 frame with matching painted steel fork. The rear dropouts are Campy with adjusting screws, tubing is SLX, I was told it's 1990. A bike shop had it lying around. They said they built it up once but that it's never been ridden. It looks new. The rear wheel clearance is tight--to get the wheel into the dropouts I had to deflate the rear tire. I've had it for a few months; wondering wether to build it up or opt for a built up Serotta Classique Ti with Ultegra. If anyone knows what it is, I'd appreciate the info. :confused:

all due respect to all the builders who inhabit and the site owner, but nagos have pizazz.

mink70
03-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Well, now I own the Colnago frameset AND the Serotta Classique Ti, so now I just gotta figure out wether to build up the Nago or sell it. Problems, problems.

Is there a 12-step bike group? :banana:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7221801705

Big Dan
03-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Sorry to say the best solution is to buy another 1 or 2 more bikes.....
Then decide............. :banana:

Fixed
03-02-2006, 06:38 PM
bro most of us have at least two bikes cheers :beer: