PDA

View Full Version : Video Exercise and your health and heart

bobswire
07-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Steve Tilford had this video on the blog today regarding extreme to moderate exercise. Worth your time to view if you value your heart and health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g8eEY···So

thwart
07-20-2014, 03:30 PM
The video seems to be gone, Bob.

bobswire
07-20-2014, 03:34 PM
The video seems to be gone, Bob.

Whoa, wher'd it go? I have to go back to Tilfords site. Weird it was working earlier for me? You can find it through Tilford Blog.

http://stevetilford.com/

thwart
07-20-2014, 03:37 PM
Maybe it's me and my relationship with YouTube… but…

bobswire
07-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Maybe it's me and my relationship with YouTube… but…

I just copied and pasted it but it can be viewed at Tilford Blog. http://stevetilford.com/

majorpat
07-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Interesting

wc1934
07-21-2014, 09:20 AM
I am currently reading "What makes Olga run" - bio about a 90+ year old woman who has set all sorts of records for her age in track and field events.
Same hypothesis - avoid the extremes.

redir
07-21-2014, 09:27 AM
I assume 'endurance' is not what most of us typically do even those of us in the amateur racing circuits.

MattTuck
07-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Thanks for posting. He raises some good points.

I do wish he would have put some actual numbers on 'low', 'medium' and 'high' intensity exercise. Even if it was watts or heart rate zones...

My takeaway is "limit strenuous exercise to 30-60 minutes a day". Well, what the heck is 'strenuous exercise'??? Clearly, I shouldn't be near my max heart rate for that long, or I guess even my threshold heart rate? Even when I do sprint interval training, I'm only doing 'strenuous' exercise for a few minutes out of an hour ride.

Also, I'd be curious how his results translate to cycling. Clearly, you could not run a marathon every day, even though it is only 2ish hours at the professional level. Yet, you can cycle at high intensity for 3 weeks everyday with only 2 rest days. Is that difference purely the punishment your joints and muscles take from running? Is there a cardiac component that cycling is some how easier on the heart?

stephenmarklay
07-21-2014, 10:59 AM
I guess I will shelf my racing comeback :)

I always tend to over due things and the last time I raced I had the best fitness of my life.

Unfortunately, it caused sleep disturbance and in general a downward spiral of health.

I had to get away from cycling all together to get my health back. Seems weird but true.

I have been slowing ramping back on cycling but I am going to be easy on myself. There was a milage thread on here and I was wanting to get my mileage up. I think I will focus on staying healthy.

I have to think about my training and intervals and such.

ceolwulf
07-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Also, I'd be curious how his results translate to cycling. Clearly, you could not run a marathon every day, even though it is only 2ish hours at the professional level.

Some ultra runners do. The difference is they're going at a relatively slow pace, exertion not much beyond what a brisk walk would be for an untrained person.

makoti
07-21-2014, 11:23 AM
I watched it & also came away wondering exactly what "strenuous" is. Is it an amount of time? HR levels? Combo? Not too clear. 45 min rides? Just getting loose about then.
Plus, I wonder how current this info is. He referenced Armstrong AND Indurain. Non-cyclists may know who Armstrong is, but I doubt Indurain would be recognized unless he was in the news.

stephenmarklay
07-21-2014, 11:58 AM
It was presented in 2012.

wc1934
07-21-2014, 01:12 PM
I guess I will shelf my racing comeback :)

I always tend to over due things and the last time I raced I had the best fitness of my life.

Unfortunately, it caused sleep disturbance and in general a downward spiral of health.

I had to get away from cycling all together to get my health back. Seems weird but true.

I have been slowing ramping back on cycling but I am going to be easy on myself. There was a milage thread on here and I was wanting to get my mileage up. I think I will focus on staying healthy.

I have to think about my training and intervals and such.

Some articles will suggest that (for overall health) intervals are actually more beneficial in promoting muscle/strength, conditioning and and stamina than distance training, (and they are less taxing on your body).