PDA

View Full Version : new wheels... help...

Samster
02-26-2006, 09:49 PM
hi all. i've been trying to select new wheels for my new frame.

i've gone around the block a few times and am torn... hoping to hear some opinions...

here's where i am right now:

1. topolino c19
2. campy eurus (2005 is cheaper, but 2006 is lighter)
3. handbuilts... i don't even know where to begin on this one... but am keeping option alive

i want a light feel. i like to climb. any/all opinions appreciated. thanks.

jerk
02-26-2006, 09:53 PM
topolinos are really flexy and have plastic hubs that are a little bogus.

eurus are nice all around wheels;

handbuilts are fine but campy's extreme dish makes some prebuilts a lighter stroger option.

get cosmic carbones. they're the best. check the archives for why.

neutrons are also a great wheelset and the jerk has been impressed with his amclassic 420s as well.

jerk

i've gone around the block a few times and am torn... hoping to hear some opinions...

1. topolino c19
3. handbuilts... i don't even know where to begin on this one... but am keeping option alive

Tailwinds
02-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Sam, I haven't ridden any of the Campy wheels, but I have Topolino's on my Litespeed Ultimate and love them. At my weight (120 lbs.), they don't feel flexy at all (my old AC 350's did). Nelson Vails rides them and loves them. I spoke w/him personally about them, and he didn't mention flex... if that means anything to you. They feel great climbing and rock-solid on descents... unless there are side-winds (bladed spokes). They also smooth out rough roads considerably.

ergott
02-26-2006, 10:00 PM

1. topolino c19

It would help us if you supplied a few more details.

What type of riding do you want the wheels for?

What do you weight?

Do you race?

What else have you tried that works and what doesn't work for you?

ergott
02-26-2006, 10:01 PM
handbuilts are fine but campy's extreme dish makes some prebuilts a lighter stroger option.

jerk

There are ways around this.

jerk
02-26-2006, 10:08 PM

the jerk knows-

but no perfect ways untill some-one comes up with an offset drilled tubular rim.

jerk

jerk
02-26-2006, 10:22 PM

the jerk knows-

but no perfect ways untill some-one comes up with an offset drilled tubular rim.

jerk

Samster
02-26-2006, 10:22 PM
It would help us if you supplied a few more details.

What type of riding do you want the wheels for?

What do you weight?

Do you race?

What else have you tried that works and what doesn't work for you?

hmmm...

no racing. i like race-quality though... whatever that means... i used to race, but stopped. but then again, i've been toying with getting back into it, but masters are tough.

i weigh 130-ish.

i like my protons, but they're heavy.

i like light, but i don't like alloy nipples.

i don't like deep v section rims. i prefer box.

i like butted spokes.

i have always liked campy hubs because i think they spin faster (maybe my imagination but that's my experience)

i like wheels i can true/maintenance myself.

i've build my own wheels with good results, but am basically lazy and generally crunched for time.

Samster
02-26-2006, 10:28 PM
... the jerk has been impressed with his amclassic 420s as well.
jerk

yes... i've been considering those and the sprints as well. here's a clip from a website re: "American Classic Magnesium: Weight: 1,235 grams can be achieved with the use of Sapim CX-Ray spokes." that's crazy-light.

Tailwinds
02-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Sam, even I found the AC350's to feel noodlish, and I'm not half the sprinter you are.

Jeremy Parfitt at Alchemy built me some custom wheels that weigh in at 1200-something grams... will let you know how they ride when I get my Kirk. They are still sitting in a box. Folks on this forum can fill you in on how awesome they ride.

ergott
02-27-2006, 05:35 AM
hmmm...

no racing. i like race-quality though... whatever that means... i used to race, but stopped. but then again, i've been toying with getting back into it, but masters are tough.

i weigh 130-ish.

i like butted spokes.

i have always liked campy hubs because i think they spin faster (maybe my imagination but that's my experience)

i've build my own wheels with good results, but am basically lazy and generally crunched for time.

Velocity Aerohead/OC rear
Sapim CX-Ray/DT Aerolite spokes
White Industries H1
24/28 spokes
brass nipples
2 cross all around

1395g

Ambrosio Chrono
White Industries H1
28/28 spokes (lighter rim more spokes)
brass nipples
2 cross all around

1295g

stevep
02-27-2006, 06:12 AM
handbuilt..lighter, cheaper, easier to fix
alloy nipples should be aok for anyone pretty light... unless you use them in the winter w/ salt on the roads.

dirtdigger88
02-27-2006, 07:20 AM
sam

handbuilt if for no other reason than "because"

OR. . .

you weigh nothing
you are fast as h*ll
you are putting these on your KIRK!!
Ill make fun of you on every ride if you dont

there FOUR great reasons- as valid as any other you will get here

besides- someone asks you what wheels you are running- whats going to sound cooler. . .

White Industries H1
24/28 spokes
brass nipples
2 cross all around

1395g

Ambrosio Chrono
White Industries H1
brass nipples
2 cross all around

1295g

or- "they are factory pre-builts" . . . then dirt starts laughing!!!!

Jason

saab2000
02-27-2006, 07:44 AM
I have two sets of Campy Record hubbed wheels built with Velocity Aerohead rims, the rear being the offset drilling. This seems to help with most of the extreme dish problem. The wheels hardly ever need truing and the same hubs built to Open Pros needed to be trued all the time.

I would like to try some of the DT Swiss hubs built to the Velocity rims.

I also have two sets of Nucleon/Neutron tubulars. They are definitely livelier than the Velocity wheels, though how much of this has to do with the fact that they are tubulars and the Velocity wheels are clinchers.

Get 2006 Eurus or Neutrons, or have someone build handbuilts which take into account the offset problem. Right now there are no tubulars built with offset drilling.

marle
02-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Hey good luck with your new frame and wheels.

fwiw -- I'm 6'3" 205# and have used my topolino c19 for over 1,000 miles. I really enjoy their key attributes -- ability to absorb road vibration and climb.

ergott
02-27-2006, 08:31 AM
White Industries H1
24/28 spokes
brass nipples
2 cross all around

1395g

Ambrosio Chrono
White Industries H1
brass nipples
2 cross all around

1295g

Sorry, the weights are for Tune hubs not White Industries. You get the idea though.

Samster
02-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the opinions everyone. Very much appreciated. :)

CalfeeFly
02-27-2006, 04:52 PM
hmmm...

i weigh 130-ish.

i like butted spokes.

I think you answered your own question. I put in bold all the factors you control when you have handbuilt wheels. I have both factory wheels and handbuilt and I like them both. You do get a lot of wheel in a handbuilt Record Hub wheelset since you like their hubs. There are some good build guys on line that others can recommend. I had mine built locally and I use King hubs. Don't feel limited to Open Pro's as Fir has a nice box rim in the Zenith and Ambrosio has some nice rims. The Italian companies just don't spend the big bucks in promotion, advertising and sponsorship.

There are several on this forum and the Calfee forum who swear by their Topolino's. I know and have heard all the reasons they should not like them but they still do. I never argue with a valued firsthand opinion. The Campy Wheels are good wheels but pricey to some degree. You know what you are getting and it is well done. I bought the new Rolf Elan Aero. They are handbuilt in Oregon, the hubs are made by White Industries and the spokes by Sapim. The weight is 1295. The other factory wheels I bought are Neuvation which I just purchased they are on sale for $499 and come in at 1470 grams. They are nice for the money and I have them on my winter bike. I have Zeniths with King hubs and Ambrosio Crono (tubular) with King hubs. Both are light and dependable. I also have Shimano 7700's that need some work but I've liked them and others tell me I shouldn't.

I typed all that to say they are a lot of good wheels out there. Look at your list and your wallet and decide what works best for you. From having learned the hardway (as with all things) make sure your handbuilts are well built. :bike:

cookieguy
02-27-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm 130ish...and very happy with my Camy Eurus...they have stayed nicely true and are plenty light. The engineer in my finds the spoke pattern "neat". One gripe....mounting new tires will involve much sweat and cursing.