PDA

View Full Version : Mavic SSC brakes on wide rims?

Marburg
07-20-2014, 04:13 AM
I wanted to resuscitate this dicsussion:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=148045

and also thinking about Bostic's comments here (on his sweet Rex):

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=151966

So... Mavic SSC brakes and wide rims? Que?

I'm using a pair with OP's right now. I'd like to say wider rims are in my future (Belgians, Pacentis), but am curious if there's trouble a brewing?

DIfferences down to which brake pad/holder you're using?

FlashUNC
07-20-2014, 07:12 AM
I've used HED Belgiums and H Plus Son TB 14s without any issue really.

Caveat is they don't have as much tire clearance as, say, a Campy brake. And I couldn't imagine running them on a bike with Shimano that didn't have a quick release in the lever.

nate2351
07-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Not quite the same, but, I have shimano 600 brakes on my TT bike and they do not play nice with wide rims. Absolutely abysmal with firecrest rims.

Bostic
07-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Mavic with new Swiss Stop pads. Conti 700x25 GP4000 inflated to 90 to 100, won't fit. I used the Mavic's for some years with Open Pros, Mavic ES red spoke Ksyriums and Williams System 30's. All much narrower than the Pacenti rims.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/912/b06fab.jpg

pdmtong
07-20-2014, 10:40 AM
I've used HED Belgiums and H Plus Son TB 14s without any issue really.

Caveat is they don't have as much tire clearance as, say, a Campy brake. And I couldn't imagine running them on a bike with Shimano that didn't have a quick release in the lever.

I took my spare mavic ssc out if the box and put it over my hed Belgium. The brake was wide open since no cable and had tiny clearance to the the rim either side I suppose I could use it but there would be little if any lever travel before the pad hits.

So how did you get yours to work? Is it a change of pads and holder to something with less pad thickness!

Ohhhh I see the link had some previous comments from me. DOH!

FlashUNC
07-20-2014, 11:20 AM
I took my spare mavic ssc out if the box and put it over my hed Belgium. The brake was wide open since no cable and had tiny clearance to the the rim either side I suppose I could use it but there would be little if any lever travel before the pad hits.

So how did you get yours to work? Is it a change of pads and holder to something with less pad thickness!

Ohhhh I see the link had some previous comments from me. DOH!

That may be part of it. I got a set of Mavic brakes here that were a mess with pad holders. Seller sent me a mis-matched set of holders that would not fit on the brakes.

So I got a set of 105 pad carriers. They're definitely not stock.

I'm typically using them on my Della Santa with Nemesis rims, which are 21.5mm wide. So not quite the 23mm of the C2 and other wide rims, but it's doable.

That being said, both my skeleton and pre-skeleton Campy Record calipers have way more clearance. But I prefer the lever feel of the SSC.

Anarchist
07-20-2014, 11:39 AM
I use a set of Major Tom rims with Schwalbe 26mm tires. The Mavic SSC clears just fine.

pdmtong
07-20-2014, 11:46 AM
That may be part of it. I got a set of Mavic brakes here that were a mess with pad holders. Seller sent me a mis-matched set of holders that would not fit on the brakes.

So I got a set of 105 pad carriers. They're definitely not stock.

I'm typically using them on my Della Santa with Nemesis rims, which are 21.5mm wide. So not quite the 23mm of the C2 and other wide rims, but it's doable.

That being said, both my skeleton and pre-skeleton Campy Record calipers have way more clearance. But I prefer the lever feel of the SSC.

so, that 1.5mm makes all the difference !

ok. seriously, it must be the holders.

agreed, the campy skeletons I used instead fit as they should but dont have anywhere the nice modulation the mavics do. the campy hit the rim with a thud and not with the smooth power curve of the mavics

FlashUNC
07-20-2014, 12:48 PM
The Mavics really were the first brake I used where I could panic stop with one finger. Probably a combination of the Nemesis brake track with the power of the brakes, but they are whoa nellie strong imo.