PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever gotten the 3D fit at Boulder Center for Sports Med?

inthegutter
02-26-2006, 07:25 PM
How did the procedure go? Did it help? Were there any 'free watts' or was it simply comfort improvements?

landshark_98
02-26-2006, 08:52 PM
I did to address knee pain. Dr Pruitt evaluated position etc., shimmed the shoes and the knee pain has gone and not returned. It is also a very cool procedure with the lasers and computers turning you into an on-screen stick figure. Free watts? Don't think so, just pain free.

rpm
02-26-2006, 09:45 PM
I went to Andy, and it was like going to Lourdes. I had blown out the tibialis posterior tendon in my ankle, and I couldn't pedal without pain. Andy diagnosed a leg length discrepancy, helped me choose new pedals and shoes, and shimmed my cleats. The whole process was great. The 3-D fitting involved getting little reflective tabs on my hips, knees, ankles, and feet and then getting filmed digitally. I left with a printout of before and after tracings of the position of all the key indicator points. To answer the question, the fitting not only got rid of my pain, but it also increased my watts because my knees were better aligned with my feet, and I was directing more of my power straight to the pedals. Andy is as nice a guy as you'd ever want to meet, and the place is decorated with bike paraphernalia honoring all the riders who've been there. Worth every penny IMHO.

CarlosContreros
02-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Worth every penny IMHO.

Would it be very "un-PC" for me to ask what this
procedure runs?

I was going to do it once...but something came up...
and I wish you didn't have to supply your personal ride.

Can I ask...did you have to bring current X-rays...or did they
just take them when you got there?

And..isn't Andy Pruitt a 40K champ of some kind?

thanks!

Tailwinds
02-26-2006, 10:16 PM
$400... I have a friend who went there recently. Andy made some pretty drastic changes that my friend is still trying to get used to, but it's still very recent like I said... so hopefully things will get better.

CarlosContreros
02-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Wow!...$400 is what I would considerable reasonable!

It's just having to '"lug" my "lugged" Merckx(which I luv!)
to Denver!

Tailwinds
02-26-2006, 10:22 PM
What size is your Merckx? You can send it to my house. :rolleyes:

CarlosContreros
02-26-2006, 10:26 PM
What size is your Merckx? You can send it to my house. :rolleyes:

TDub...63 c-c...Motorola motif...last MX to ever
be built! :cool:

You wouldn't want to deal with me though....I'm a lifetime
Raider fan!! :bike:

PS..Is Shanahan still whining over the $250K Al Davis
"shorted-him"!! :D

rpm
02-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Carlos--
You've already learned that the fee is $400. They take the x-rays there. Health insurance won't cover the fitting, but it should cover the x-rays (mine did). Cheers.

landshark_98
02-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Check with your insurance. Because my assessment was for a medical condition my insurance covered all but $150 of it.

CarlosContreros
08-20-2007, 10:08 PM
I did to address knee pain. Dr Pruitt evaluated position etc., shimmed the shoes and the knee pain has gone and not returned. It is also a very cool procedure with the lasers and computers turning you into an on-screen stick figure. Free watts? Don't think so, just pain free.

Does anybody know?
Are the shims for leg-length inequality?

I've got a 1/2" inequality in my legs....but it's femur..
not tibia! :confused:

I can see where shimming would help to make up the difference..
but it just doesn't work for me 'cause it just creates another inequality! :no:

Too Tall
08-21-2007, 06:27 AM
If the length diff. is upper leg you can adjust your cleat fore and aft help balance things...it will never be perfect but this helps. Move the cleat forward on the short(er) leg and back on the other.

Keep track of the combined amount you move both cleats which should sum to half the (upper) leg length diff.

seanw
08-21-2007, 06:35 AM
too tall, dont you move the cleat forward on the longer leg? and back on the shorter leg? thought this was the case.

sean

rwsaunders
08-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know if UPMC's Sports Medicine Center in Pittsburgh offers a similar process/procedure?

mschol17
08-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Check out this page:
http://sportsmedicine.upmc.com/ServicesCyclingPerform.htm

jimp1234
08-21-2007, 12:29 PM
I went through the process last month and found it extremely worthwhile. You should probably figure out before you go exactly what you're hoping to get from the process. "Free" watts like "free" lunches may be hard to come by, but you'll know at the completition of the process that you're as close to an optimal bike fit as you're going get anywhere. Btw, insurance covered part of my fees, and I think if you want to work with Andy P. specifically the non-insurance cost is $550.

cheers

-Jim

CarlosContreros
08-21-2007, 02:00 PM
too tall, dont you move the cleat forward on the longer leg? and back on the shorter leg? thought this was the case.

sean

No seanw....I can see where TooTall's going with this...moving the cleat
back on the longer leg will effectively "shorten" it...moving the cleat
forward on the shorter leg...will lengthen it.

But?....how much of an adjustment?
I think we're dealing with a different animal here in regards to measurements...I think if I have a 1/2 difference in cleat location..it will
be multiplied when dealing with foot placement?

And whatever Pruitt charges...if you consider how much you value your legs(and knees..etc.) it might be the best $400-$500 you will ever spend!

CarlosContreros
08-22-2007, 07:02 AM
If the length diff. is upper leg you can adjust your cleat fore and aft help balance things...it will never be perfect but this helps. Move the cleat forward on the short(er) leg and back on the other.

Keep track of the combined amount you move both cleats which should sum to half the (upper) leg length diff.

Thanks for the info Too Tall.........
To address my situation I'm going to move the cleat back on my longer leg...
and this will allow me to move my saddle down a 1/4" which while keeping the current cleat position on my shorter leg SHOULD help to balance me.

Of course this is all "theory"....and won't know much in the way of "practical application" until some time has passed.
I'm excited to be able to move my saddle down a bit..'cause if I ever have any saddle-soreness it's always on the shorter-leg side...and there are times
during my rides that it feels like the shoe on my short-side is being pulled
off of my foot at the bottom of my cycle stroke!

Frank Draper
08-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Carlos, have you tried a shim(s) under your cleat on the short side? I have done this for many years and it helped.