PDA

View Full Version : Who went out for a ride this weekend?

Rover-Rich
02-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Ok guys, let's here about your rides.

I'm pumped as this was one of the first really nice weekends here in Chicago. A little breezy with some gusts to 25mph Fri but temps in the upper 30's to lower 40's. I rode Fri and today, short 30 mile rides, but wow, it sure was nice to get OUTSIDE and off the trainer. Also have to report on how awesome Ergott's wheels are. Eric did me right with some Velocity deep v pros / DT Swiss 240s all wrapped in Tufo rubber. A great step-up from my clinchers with tons of road feels and great handling. I even was able to dust some riding buddies... gotta be the wheels. :rolleyes:

So what did you guys do this weekend?

:beer:

saab2000
02-26-2006, 06:36 PM
I rode twice. Once yesterday in Washington DC on my Croll and today in Minneapolis on my Strong. Any ride is a good ride when you have been working too much. Slow, but very satisfying. :beer:

rePhil
02-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Did a 35 miler on saturday. Wind kicked up a bit, but temps were in the 70's. Came home and tinkered with my new commuter,and ordered some parts.Woke this morning to thunder, so it was a "National Suckers day"(reference to Paul Kimmage) I hung out with a son and granddaughter.

Bud
02-26-2006, 07:08 PM
My wife and I did a nice little ride N of Boulder this afternoon. Temp was in the mid 60's and it was beautiful. We had a bit of a headwind when rolling N, but not bad at all for this time of the year. There were lots of folks out.

And it looks like the next few days will be great for commuting on the bike as well.

Ray
02-26-2006, 07:18 PM
40 mile club ride yesterday in a lot of wind but not too cold. Most of the easy fitness I seemed to have in January (when the weather was crazy nice and I got a lot of base riding in) is pretty well shot after three weeks of sneaking the occasional cold ride in when I can and yesterday's ride was nothing to write home about. But, you know, the worst day riding.....

I may be able to get out again Wednesday and March is right around the corner.

-Ray

jerk
02-26-2006, 07:27 PM
saturday the jerk froze for a couple of hours. on sunday the jerk bagged on a ride because his winter stuff was all wet and nasty and gross and it was 20 degrees out when he woke up. tomorrow, another week of muscle tension will commence. should be cold and awful.

jerk

oh, doofus by the way, when are you just going to ride those cat4s off your wheel so you can upgrade and race with the guys who won't inadvertantly take your squirrly arse out? its much safer with the 1, 2, 3 field. the jerk promises.

Climb01742
02-26-2006, 07:34 PM
two cold rides. 2 hours sat and 1 hour sun. sat was 2x25 of big ring, low cadence intervals. sun was recovery. both days left me praying for spring.

GoJavs
02-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Yep, the palm trees were shaking and baking, but I braved both days of 75 degree weather to.......oh, wait....the rest of you guys are freezing up there....Sorrrrrry. :D

Tailwinds
02-26-2006, 07:50 PM
40's and wicked-fast 50-mile hammerfest on Sat... 60's and slow 32-miler today... feels like Spring has arrived in Denver. :banana:

Sandy
02-26-2006, 07:55 PM
I rode with Smiley on Saturday doing about 38 miles which was hilly and very difficult for me. My arms hurt more than my legs. The road surface on some familiar roads seemed to really be harsh, giving me a very rough ride. I am not sure why.

Thanks for the ride Smiley and thanks for waiting for me.

Sandy

lnomalley
02-26-2006, 08:00 PM
4x8 minute intervals up latigo canyon and then a nice visit down in redondo to watch the tour of cali. it was in the upper seventies and perfect out.. it has been all week (the week started with a brief spin with andrea peron from csc. carla/jordan and him ended up doing intervals up latigo and decker... i just went for coffee in malibu and broke up on the cell with the girl i was dating.). it was one of those weeks. i love socal.... except for the girl thing.

mclane pacific is this weekend.

gone
02-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Ok guys, let's here about your rides.

So what did you guys do this weekend?

:beer:

58 miles on Saturday between storm cells moving through, 62 miles on a very nice day today.

Rapid Tourist
02-26-2006, 08:07 PM
58 miles on Saturday. Left the house feeling like Cr_p and when i returned I felt much worse. Shouldn't have ridden, but alas, I did....

FierteTi52
02-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Went 20 miles with winds gusting to 35mph and temps of 20*. It wasn't fun until I was heading downwind.
Jeff

Too Tall
02-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Saab - I'm starting to get paranoid...I do shower yah know.
Sat - I hooked up with (hang with me) the shop team of the shop who sponsors our race team. Great bunch of guys who want to race, very enthusiastic and really fit. Love the 'tude of guys like that. One of the riders is a cagey guy and former 3 who will race this yr. and I talked him into a bunch of 6 min. hill intervals. While we recovered the shop team rolled up on us and we'd latch on, recover and hit it again. The guys totally "got it" and did not draft etc. Classy "sport" riders? Yeah, I think so. Love this sport.
Sunday - Freeezin and very windy. Headed out the door for an honest 2 1/2 hr. recovery ride and an embarassingly slow pace and 1/3 of the way into it found myself knocking on Fly's door asking for coffee. One AMAZING cappucino later I moseyed home and felt no guilt.

Hysbrian
02-26-2006, 08:23 PM
both days...saturday was well, MP. but I keep seeing people running and on town bikes (it was snowing/raining) so I stay out their till I didn't see anyone else.

Today was just cold and there was a basketball game (I didn't know UConn even had a team ;) ) so I had to get far away from campus...FAR.

Fixed
02-26-2006, 08:24 PM
saturday the jerk froze for a couple of hours. on sunday the jerk bagged on a ride because his winter stuff was all wet and nasty and gross and it was 20 degrees out when he woke up. tomorrow, another week of muscle tension will commence. should be cold and awful.

jerk

oh, doofus by the way, when are you just going to ride those cat4s off your wheel so you can upgrade and race with the guys who won't inadvertantly take your squirrly arse out? its much safer with the 1, 2, 3 field. the jerk promises.bro or maybe try some 35+ races it like a pro 1,2,, race around here.cheers

bironi
02-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Temp high about 45, 50 miles on Saturday on a new route, partly no traffic on nice wooded rolling hills with great descending turns with potholes to dodge. Great beer and chat after. Sunday ~40 miles with larger group, and faster pace. Good coffee and short chat after. Great winter weekend riding.

Homsie
02-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Raced in the Snelling road race, cat 3, which is a 5 laps around a 11.7 rolling hills course. It was a beautiful, sunny day which started at 48 degrees (8 am) and warmed into the low 60s by the time we finished around 10:30 am. I managed to avoid the carnage on the finishing sprint and rolled in 23rd out of 80+. Our team was sending off attacks throughout the race....however it all came back together...and we managed to get our sprinter a 2nd place (a lot of it on his own!!)

Today was a 3 hour ride with a local club that was cut short due to the rain storm coming in.....yeah we're all wimps!

James

Ti Designs
02-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Sat on the sofa and watched tour videos while downing a few beers.

mwos
02-26-2006, 10:36 PM
60 minutes on the trainer, watched "Top Gun" while I rode. Also did my PT and Pilates.

Today, I painted the bathroom and did PT.

Tomorrow will be last trainer ride for awhile. When the weather gets nice I'm going to put the trainer on the deck and ride outside! :D

Kathi

The Spider
02-27-2006, 01:40 AM
150km (90m) in the hills around Warburton, 60km (36m) of climbing, 40km (24m) of dirt/gravel roads...and the last 10km (6m) was in torrential downpour with dark lightning streaked clouds overhead....oh and a great looking blonde woman in a pink singlet smiling as we flew by on the way to the car (obviously a big fan of the rain!). I felt no pain (at that moment).

shoe
02-27-2006, 11:20 AM
saturday a quick hour ride on the mountain bikes with my girl and then off to work with some commuting miles and running around to dinner and the bar afterwards. finally got some miles in on my new kirk that weren't commuting on sunday. was a little chilly but my friend came down with his new riv. quickbeam(quite a nice bike-two gears was good for on road and then one for off). couple hours on the road and an hour of single track. bike felt great- smooth and responsive and a beautiful day...dave

Skrawny
02-27-2006, 11:32 AM
After the "Isn't Californa Beautiful?" (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=15159) thread I, and three others turned off of the long ride to do the Alpine Dam(n)/7-Sisters ride that I mentioned. Then two of us continued to the peak of Mt Tam.

Ahhhhhh, i had forgotten why it is my alltime favorite ride... only ~60 miles, but perfect.

Sunday I eschewed the casual group ride to fit a friend of mine on my loaner bike (with toe-clips!) for a 22 mile ride into Marin and back to SF to introduce him to the sport. Had a few rain drops, but I think he enjoyed himself. I did.

Now I can face Monday.
-s

Elmer
02-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Went out on an early MTB ride with my good buddies Bob and Peter over behind Middlesex Community College. 2hrs of non-stop FUN!!! :D Oh yeah, it was cold for the first 5 minutes but once we started the climb up to the trailhead, we warmed up nicely and to tell youthe truth, I did'nt notice the cold at all the rest of the ride. It was probably the best conditions for riding out on the trail as I've seen in a long time. Sunday I painted :crap:

SoCalSteve
02-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Saturday rode with my wife for a short 20 mile ride to the beach and back. We had somewhere to be in the afternoon, so we cut it short.

Sunday I rode to the Tour of California in Redondo. Great day, lots of people out riding and a very festive atmosphere there. 40 miles.

I stayed for a few laps and rode home.

Steve

Kevan
02-27-2006, 02:07 PM
met up with 2 of our pals for a romp looping out of Katonah, on over to New Canaan CT, then on up to Ridgefield, back over to the NY side of things, to Goldens Bridge, then finally back down to the start, with a stop at Perk's for some hot Cafe-mocha. Boys, wish you were "wid" us. Thar's this route 124 that runs from Scot's corner down into New Canaan...well, 3 or so miles outta town the road angles slightly downhill. The ride then turns into a downright stomp session as we come blowin' into town like cowboys lookin' to burn a Saturday night at the saloon. 'cept we usually stop at the bagel shop instead (which we didn't). Sorry.

Windy and cold, no better than the low to mid 30's, throughout the ride, we averaged in the 16+ range and did something like 43 miles. Windy!!! Yeow!! No snowflakes to report.

Sunday: I made french toast with hot maple sirrup. There was a club dinner meeting last night, which gave us plenty of time f'r braggin'.

scrooge
02-27-2006, 02:13 PM
I'm a wuss.
1 hr 20 minutes on rollers. I don't go outside when it's below thirty degrees (and especially when there's a 25 mph wind on top of that!).
Hopefully I'll start getting outside fairly regularly this week. Hopefully...

palincss
02-27-2006, 03:38 PM
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=40590

This links to my recollection & reconstruction of the route Tom Roberson and I rode yesterday from the Chrysallis Winery in Aldie VA. This is a shortened (24 mi) version of the original 38 mile route (it was bloody cold yesterday - temps in the low 30s, wind gusting between 20 - 40 mph, wind chills around 19 degrees!). This was to be a club ride, but only the leaders braved the elements.

It's mixed paved/unpaved, mostly unpaved hardpack clay. The route's fairly hilly, since you climb over Bull Run Mountain, but in terms of road surface there's nothing particularly challenging and certainly nothing frightening. I had my Saluki, 650Bx38s; Tom had narrow 559s on an old Bridgestone XO-1, and he found a couple of miles of recent regrading to be a bit skittish.

The countryside is beautiful, worth doing the ride just for that -- but I was really happy to have had my curiosity satisfied about what was beyond the very familiar in this "regular stomping grounds" area. PPTC rides fairly often around The Plains, Middleburg, and Waterfall Rd heading towards Thoroughfare, but we just pass the entrances to these roads with barely a glance.

It's all horse farms and picture postcard scenery along these dirt roads, and there's another "secret" road network you can follow that will take you across
the roads we normally ride on, into countryside that is the heart of Virginia Hunt Country.

En route, we met a pack of hunting Beagles, 25-30 of them, in training, and a jolly bunch they were -- reminded me a lot of a disney movie --
but we also saw a large red fox crossing the road, a few horses wearing heavy blankets, and just about nothing and no one else.

For gmap pedometer fans, the system now lets you save routes directly on their server, which solves problems with routes that exceed browser parameter lines. I just wish google maps' aerial photos were as good as the ones on local.live.com, but they aren't. Local.live.com has a set of b&w higher resolution aerial photos that can be very helpful when you're scoping out terrain you haven't been in before. On this route, for example, you can see as you follow along there's nothing there but fields and forests.

And, it's only an hour's drive from DC, plus you start and finish at a very nice winery.

davids
02-27-2006, 04:43 PM
75 minutes of mountain biking on Saturday, when it was warm (in the mid-20s.) Very nice, and I would have loved to ride another hour, but family called!

10 minutes on a trainer on Sunday, checking out the new/old TTT Forgies, while Ti Designs checked my position. I don't think he was drinking...