PDA

View Full Version : How many miles a week?

Dead Man
07-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Polls are usually stupid, but it'll definitely be the best way to quantify results, since this is such a simple question

How many miles do you ride a week, and where do the miles come from? Commute? Hill climbing? Racing or race training? Just solo highway riding for fitness?

-B

Lewis Moon
07-18-2014, 02:46 PM
As much as I can, less than I want.

merckx
07-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Summer average 800-1000 per month. Winter usually 200-400 month. I live in New England.

texbike
07-18-2014, 02:53 PM

Same! My target is 100 per week. I usually end up with somewhere between 3500-4000 miles a year.

macaroon
07-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Between 200 and 300 miles per week. Usually closer to 200 unless I get a day at the weekend when I can do a long ride. I just ride for fitness/enjoyment at the moment.

tv_vt
07-18-2014, 03:21 PM
Think you need to be a little more specific. Nobody rides the same mileage year-round. Do you mean during the peak cycling season, say May-August? Or yearly average? Or something else?

Tony T
07-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Yeah, was thinking poll should have had more increments in the higher range (i.e. 150-200 / 200-250 / 250-300 / 300+).
Not everyone works :)

Dead Man
07-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Yeah, was thinking poll should have had more increments in the higher range (i.e. 150-200 / 200-250 / 250-300 / 300+).
Not everyone works :)

This is becoming apparent... however, from a strictly selfish POV, the thread is doing what I wanted to to: show me if people are riding more or less than me.

I average around 90 a week (regardless of season :p), would like to be logging 150 a week... to me, 150 seems to be about the threshold for dudes who either don't work or are single. I am neither, so anything above that is off in crazy land. To other guys, that threshold is going to be 200, 300, or more, probably.

Had to set 'em somewhere!

Dead Man
07-18-2014, 03:35 PM
I will probably break 200 for this week, though... which is weird, since I have worked all week... but I've just made it happen (at the expense of an angry wife)

thegunner
07-18-2014, 03:38 PM
This is becoming apparent... however, from a strictly selfish POV, the thread is doing what I wanted to to: show me if people are riding more or less than me.

I average around 90 a week (regardless of season :p), would like to be logging 150 a week... to me, 150 seems to be about the threshold for dudes who either don't work or are single. I am neither, so anything above that is off in crazy land. To other guys, that threshold is going to be 200, 300, or more, probably.

Had to set 'em somewhere!

i'm both gainfully employed and also in a relationship, i do about 250-300 a week... it's all about waking up at stupid hours to find time to ride :)

Ralph
07-18-2014, 03:50 PM
I average about 150 miles a week....year around. 30-40 mile rides, 4-5 days a week. Ride in AM. Mostly with a group of about same ability. We push it real hard about half the ride. The half the ride we push it, usually average around 18-20 MPH....depending on winds. Occasionally do a much longer ride over to the coast for lunch and back. We're all in late 60's or early to mid 70's. Central Florida perfect place for old guys cycling. Summer sweat don't bother us, we're well conditioned to it, and rest of year perfect. Hundreds of miles (depending on where you live in Central Florida) of wide trails to get you out to quiet roads. No major hills where I usually ride.....but you never get to coast either. But not flat like coastal area. And no 12-15 degree hills like W Central Florida.

I have time to ride more.....but when I push for more......usually have some physical issue. So lay off a day or so a week. Gives me time to go to Planet Fitness and work on other things. Not sure I could ride much more if I wished. Always break down somewhere....knee, butt, neck, something. Just old age.

Louis
07-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Not enough.

weisan
07-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Sorry...I quit tracking miles but hours six years ago, which I felt is a better barometer of what I need and a better way to set up expectations with the family to avoid any conflict.

So, on an average week...

Mon-Fri - an hour each day, strictly commuting. Sometimes I will go out on a lunch ride with my friends at work 2-3 times.
Sat - 3-4 hours - longest sustained ride of the week, usually in the morning, will ride through lunch sometimes.
Sun - 1.5-2 hours (optional) - bagel run, hop on the tandem with one of my kids in the morning. A shakedown ride in the afternoon when it cools off.

fuzzalow
07-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Zero. Compound clavicle fracture. 2 plates 10 screws.

Dead Man
07-18-2014, 04:28 PM

Lame! Bike crash related?

fuzzalow
07-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Yes. Sideswiped by Senior Citizen motorist on an empty 2 lane road.

tiretrax
07-18-2014, 04:43 PM

That's the answer for everything in my life.

carpediemracing
07-18-2014, 05:25 PM
I'm a dad but not working (aka stay at home dad). Training time is pretty limited for me and my priority is Junior so bike racing and riding aren't as important to me as before. In fact many of my rides this and last year were at the prompting of the Missus.

I go by hours but Strava conveniently tracks miles as well. More than half of my rides are on the trainer, and the speed/distance is pretty relevant trainer:road since I have a fluid resistance unit.

Typically I do 40-80 miles it seems. The last few weeks I "poured on the miles", doing two 80mi and one 100mi week. A lot of the other weeks I see are in the 30-50 mile range. Or less, but I'm rounding up.

I use Strava as my training log. All my training is on Strava as of May 2012. I race Cat 3s, crits mainly, and in the last 10-15 years almost never do group rides.
http://app.strava.com/athletes/143064

2013. Most of my training is in the off season, typically when traveling - it means that other people can look after Junior. At home it's mainly me.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pYg18Nv4ST4/UlOI0tNBECI/AAAAAAAAFl0/VUAyCds_gvE/s800/Screen+Shot+2013-10-08+at+12.22.27+AM.png

2014 as of late June. I've done 12 hours in July so far. I hit 16 in June. Most of my races are an hour long or so and they're included in those hours.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qPQN63_6Uvk/U6lGf3g0sxI/AAAAAAAAGvI/0-d-cAyoxZs/s800/Screen+Shot+2014-06-24+at+5.33.35+AM.png

Dead Man
07-18-2014, 05:28 PM
If I had a real job, where I went to the same place every day, I'd log some massive miles. I live 30 miles from the next closest job market, which is 10-15 miles deep.... giving me a potential 60-80+ mile commute every day. When I went to school, I had a 60 or 90 mile commute, twice a week.. and that was pretty rad, but irregular.

Just one more temptation to throw in the towel and go "work for the Man."

soulspinner
07-18-2014, 05:46 PM

Its that population that scares me the most. They seem to hug the right side of the road and if the poo hits the fan reflexes usually suck after 80........heal up quickly and remount.............

jtakeda
07-18-2014, 05:57 PM
250-350 depending on if I do weekend riding.

Dead Man
07-18-2014, 05:58 PM
Its that population that scares me the most. They seem to hug the right side of the road and if the poo hits the fan reflexes usually suck after 80........heal up quickly and remount.............

They also seem to be the least tolerant of us, by a long shot.

I hold the older generations in high regard, in general.. if for no other reason, simply because they paved the road we get to ride on. But I really don;t like to be around 'em on a biike.

Ralph
07-18-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm getting up there in age as well......and I think driving tests for older drivers s/b much tougher. Partucularly vision and distance and depth perception. Too many seniors on blood pressure meds half asleep.

FastforaSlowGuy
07-18-2014, 06:48 PM
I'm getting up there in age as well......and I think driving tests for older drivers s/b much tougher. Partucularly vision and distance and depth perception. Too many seniors on blood pressure meds half asleep.

My mother in law had a fit when her husband called 911 for her seizure, for fear she would lose her license. I have no idea why/whether there is a reporting obligation the hospital has to the DMV, but whether her fear was rational or not is sort of irrelevant. I was horrified that she'd basically rather risk death than stop driving. It was an eye opener for my wife and me.

I'm logging 120ish during "good riding season," which runs May-Oct. The rest of the year ("crappy weather riding season"), when it is dark and cold and often wet, that number is much lower (plus a lot of horrid trainer time) and tends to favor long weekend rides. I just can't muster a 5am ride that starts and ends in the dark, never breaks 30* and is sloppy wet. That pretty much describes weekday riding of the crappy weather season. Why do I live here?

shovelhd
07-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Get well fuzzalow.

I train and race by hours not miles.

pbarry
07-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Get well fuzzalow.

Post of the week. :beer:

mike p
07-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Same here, I do about 14 hrs a week in the summer, little less in the winter. Usually 2 hrs after work weekday nights and a long ride or race on sat. Sun or mon off depending on what's going on. How bout you guys? Shovel?

Mike

Get well fuzzalow.

Dead Man
07-18-2014, 10:08 PM
For those of you going by hours - how are you gauging your effort, or do you not?

downtube
07-18-2014, 10:24 PM
same! My target is 100 per week. I usually end up with somewhere between 3500-4000 miles a year.

+1

downtube
07-18-2014, 10:26 PM
If I had a real job, where I went to the same place every day, I'd log some massive miles. I live 30 miles from the next closest job market, which is 10-15 miles deep.... giving me a potential 60-80+ mile commute every day. When I went to school, I had a 60 or 90 mile commute, twice a week.. and that was pretty rad, but irregular.

Just one more temptation to throw in the towel and go "work for the Man."

The "Man" will just keep you down.

Admiral Ackbar
07-18-2014, 10:39 PM
according to strava my avg. is just under 100 miles a week. but than includes nearly 2 months of no saddle time whatsoever. cba to properly figure it out but i try for more than 200mi a week if my schedule allows. when i was out of work for an extended time this winter i was doing some 400mi weeks. that was fukcing awesome.

regularguy412
07-18-2014, 11:02 PM
For me, usually more than 150 per week,, depending on the weather. This year has been pretty rough with the lonnnnnnng winter and seemingly incessant thunderstorms. From Jan 1st until today, I'm at 2,895 miles. This includes about 1,000 'indoor' miles ( which some may or not deem valid), but my legs still felt it. This week I'll end up around 175 for the week.

Mike in AR:beer:

mike p
07-18-2014, 11:52 PM
I'm old fashioned and use a HRM. I'm usually doing fairly structured training, but every now and then just out with the guys for a free for all.

Mike

For those of you going by hours - how are you gauging your effort, or do you not?

hockeybike
07-18-2014, 11:58 PM

1screw, 1bone graft, two crossed fingers, zero miles.

Get well, dude. It's a b.

stephenmarklay
07-19-2014, 06:18 AM
I guess I am doing about 150. I would like to get to 200 regularly.

I offset the lower miles but doing as much climbing as I can squeeze in. Yesterday was hill intervals. I only did 7 miles but it was 7 miles at 6-10% grade.

I would prefer 300 actually :)

Edit: Hey I actually did get about 200 last week. Better than I thought! I don't even have a speedo on my bike right now. I just ride. Therefore I had to add up my miles by hand and remembered I forgot one day.

If I were training it would look a lot different. But right now I just want my weight to get near my optimal level whatever that is.

At 45 I look at riding as a health must do. In some way to makes it easier to ride for me. Its like getting up in the morning - its just something that you do.

fuzzalow
07-19-2014, 06:53 AM
Get well, dude. It's a b.

Slight thread drift: Thanks for the positive vibe to all who expressed them.

Yes, it's a b_tch but it is a risk we all accept and bear as a consequence of riding. An addiction and a lifestyle incomprehensible to those that do not ride. How recklessly bizarre it must sound to the doctors and nurses that a patient's first questions, after being knocked down by a car & injured, is "When can I get back on?".

Ya gotta be a cyclist to understand.

Now back to our regular programming...

oldpotatoe
07-19-2014, 06:57 AM

I hear ya brother...

oldpotatoe
07-19-2014, 07:01 AM

Not

I ride by hours and estimate distance..no computer or anything like that.

Generally 4-5 days a week..1.5 to 3 hours each day.. If I feel good, probably farther, if not, shorter..doesn't matter..mechanical meditation for me..keeps me on this side of sanity.

jwess1234
07-19-2014, 07:45 AM
Anyone's miles limited by physical limitation (or exhaustion), as opposed to work and non-cycling responsibilities?

rain dogs
07-19-2014, 01:17 PM
I try to look at it in terms of Time. Recommended amount for an adult is 150 minutes a week of exercise that is at an intensity that it begins to affect conversation. Zone 2? heartrate.

As I get older I don't want to worry about trying to keep the same 'numbers'... but that's unsustainable. I won't be able to do the same speeds nor ride the same distance... but could do the same time.

Long answer, but according to trainingpeaks I'm at 89hr57'35" of riding this year. Or about 186minutes per week.... More than last year, but much lower than what was once 'normal'

rain dogs
07-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Anyone's miles limited by physical limitation (or exhaustion), as opposed to work and non-cycling responsibilities?

This is actually what I'm taking about above. I'm really digging all this information that is new to me about active recovery and such. This is the first year I've ever thought it's actually beneficial to just go out and ride easy. That it actually improves your fitness more than riding hard when you're tired.

Yeah, Heartrate monitor. When I read Joe Friel I get the impression that riding around for many hours sub (150bpm for me) is good for my fitness. It's really easy, but still fast-ish.

mtechnica
07-19-2014, 01:25 PM

Same at the moment but my fracture did not require surgery. Thankfully (?) I broke the other one this time. My shoulders are noticeably crooked now, :banana:

Get better soon.

bikingshearer
07-19-2014, 01:26 PM

Don't forget general laziness, a chronic condition with which I have afflicted all of my life. :(

mtechnica
07-19-2014, 01:27 PM
How recklessly bizarre it must sound to the doctors and nurses that a patient's first questions, after being knocked down by a car & injured, is "When can I get back on?".

Ya gotta be a cyclist to understand.

Haha, yep, my doctor is a cat 2 actually and works on athletes so he was pretty stern with me about taking it easy and not sneaking onto the trainer. Go on walks he says :no:

Brucer
07-19-2014, 05:33 PM
I ride about 140 miles a week, but in Canada we measure distance in kilometers, so it sounds more impressive. I like the idea of measuring rides by time rather than distance.

climbgdh
07-19-2014, 06:21 PM
not enough lately at only an average of 150km per week since early spring. too much work and other outdoor activities have taken some precedence.

shovelhd
07-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Same here, I do about 14 hrs a week in the summer, little less in the winter. Usually 2 hrs after work weekday nights and a long ride or race on sat. Sun or mon off depending on what's going on. How bout you guys? Shovel?

Mike

I'm on a structured training program. I normally have a coach drive it but since I shelved the rest of my season due to injury I am managing it myself. I have a power meter and a HRM. Right now I am doing a variety of base work with some intensity and watching my CTL. If I decide to race next year I want to go into my offseason training flat, as in not in a hole.

Ti Designs
07-19-2014, 10:20 PM

Both.

As a cycling coach I get paid to be on the bike, at this time of year my time is in great demand. I've taken to doing both an early morning and later morning coaching sessions and I'm still at the bike shop almost 40 hours/week. Riding more than I sleep doesn't last very long, I'm actually pretty happy when it rains.

StephenCL
07-19-2014, 11:01 PM

What????? I am so sorry to hear this my friend. You will be in my thoughts and prayers...

Warm regards,

Stephen

stephenmarklay
07-20-2014, 06:31 AM
I ride about 140 miles a week, but in Canada we measure distance in kilometers, so it sounds more impressive. I like the idea of measuring rides by time rather than distance.

You know I think I will start thinking in KM. In an hour I am going out on a 80km ride. I feel really good about that :)

stephenmarklay
07-20-2014, 06:35 AM
For me, usually more than 150 per week,, depending on the weather. This year has been pretty rough with the lonnnnnnng winter and seemingly incessant thunderstorms. From Jan 1st until today, I'm at 2,895 miles. This includes about 1,000 'indoor' miles ( which some may or not deem valid), but my legs still felt it. This week I'll end up around 175 for the week.

Mike in AR:beer:

I would argue that not only are the 1000 indoor miles valid -they are like 1300 miles or so. On the trainer you always pedal. One year I was forced to train almost exclusively indoors and I was in the best condition of my life. Although I rode insane amounts. Never again :eek:

shovelhd
07-20-2014, 08:12 AM
I'm on a structured training program. I normally have a coach drive it but since I shelved the rest of my season due to injury I am managing it myself. I have a power meter and a HRM. Right now I am doing a variety of base work with some intensity and watching my CTL. If I decide to race next year I want to go into my offseason training flat, as in not in a hole.

Reading through this again I realized I didn't answer your question. During base season I train between 10-15 hours per week. During racing season I train and race between 6-12 hours per week. The variance is related to the balance between addressing weaknesses and watching CTL over a long season. I am a 57 year old Master who races primarily criteriums at the national level.

So much of this depends on your age and your goals. My plan would not be a good plan for a recreational rider, and vice versa.

mike p
07-20-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks Shovel, that's what I was looking for!

Mike