PDA

View Full Version : Road Race # 2

Dr. Doofus
02-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Ok, doof told you kids his plan was to get on every move that went after the second lap (5 laps). The guys doof was watching yesterday went 500m after the start. Doof thought "no way." They caught the 3's 5k after the start. Two guys bridged early so its a 6-man group. Doof says "crap." Doof and a stocky guy on a litespeed drive the chase on lap 1. Field is a bunch of sissies afraid of a 20mph headwind. Doof jumps to bridge on lap 2, litespeed dude and a junior join him...they get a minute clear of the bunch, and get within 100m of the 3's, but can't close it. Field catches 'em on to start lap 3. Doof realizes its over. On the good side, the bridge group was goin fast enough enough that the field got cut in half as they chased us down....

Doof is still in field full of sissies, except for the litespeed dude and the tall cat on the fixed-bro-style red SLX geurciotti. So doof pulls and pulls and pulls for the rest of the race, cause its stupid to sit in and spin 200w with a bunch of pansies....

get em next week...7 laps, with a nice 6min long 39x25 hill each lap...

dem nerac boyz looked good in the pro/1/2...and T-Fizzle makin the fashion statement ridin easy around the course, goin the other way, in a full nerac kit. You a pimp, T!

Fixed
02-26-2006, 02:30 PM
bro it sounded like you were havin the time of your life no matter how it turned out, i.m.h.o. there is something good about bein alive .get em next week bro cheers

manet
02-26-2006, 03:17 PM
there is something good about bein alive .

and when you feel it happening _ yo!

Dr. Doofus
02-26-2006, 07:18 PM
bro it sounded like you were havin the time of your life no matter how it turned out, i.m.h.o. there is something good about bein alive .get em next week bro cheers

too true, fixed bro

its good to be in the break

if you ain't in the break, ride your butt off anyway

bikes are freaking cool

Tom
02-27-2006, 05:13 AM
I'm jealous. These are good posts to read, up here in the howling wastes it is good to hear somebody's riding and doing well. Besides, you're teaching me stuff.

stevep
02-27-2006, 06:09 AM
hey, youre racing. thats what youre there for.
keep it up. youll end up up there soon enough.
keep punching..eventually youll hit something.
im jealous on the weahter... cold and windy here...no racing for a month

bostondrunk
02-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Doof,

SOunds like you went all out.
But its kind of weird to call the pack a bunch of sissies when in the end, almost all of them beat you to the line.

Look, all I'm sayin is, maybe you need to pick up an old copy of Davis Phinny's race tactics book. See, the idea of racing is to try to cross the line -before- everyone else.
I'm guessing those 'sissies' in the pack spinning at 200 were laughing their asses off at the dude on the front killing himself.
dig? i.m.h.o. bro, cheers bro :beer:
I'm just tryin to help.

Dr. Doofus
02-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Doof,

SOunds like you went all out.
But its kind of weird to call the pack a bunch of sissies when in the end, almost all of them beat you to the line.

Look, all I'm sayin is, maybe you need to pick up an old copy of Davis Phinny's race tactics book. See, the idea of racing is to try to cross the line -before- everyone else.
I'm guessing those 'sissies' in the pack spinning at 200 were laughing their asses off at the dude on the front killing himself.
dig? i.m.h.o. bro, cheers bro :beer:
I'm just tryin to help.

understand you perfectly drunk

there were five guys willing to chase -- everybody else watched all the money go up the road on lap 1. Doof decided to use the race for conditioning --what doof had to wonder is why guys never did a thing after the break went on the first lap, just so they could worry about who won the sprint for 12th. For doof, it was better to work and get some training stimulus in -- to pay off later in the year. Doof knows how to sit in and take wheels in a sprint -- he also knows he'll never win one (been there, done that since 1982).

bostondrunk
02-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Lets be honest, none of us are trying for the olympics, etc. A race is a race, not training. When I get my *** kicked in a race (often....), its because I sucked, not because I was training.
If you can't sprint, then sit in longer and try an attack (or a bridge to another group) later in the race. Are you part of a team, or are you riding independent? Will your teammates work with you?
If you are going to the race to train, then save your money and go ride some hills by yourself.
Oh, the Davis Phinny book will also teach you counter steering, kind of neat...

Dr. Doofus
02-27-2006, 09:25 AM
drunk -- maybe we're sayin the same thing

after the chase group got caught, doof *did* try sitting in, then tried a solo bridge -- didin't happen, didn't have the power to do it. doof got his *** kicked cause he didn't go with the right move and didn't have the horses to get across the two times he tried. at that point, doof knew it wasn't going to happen -- fired his two best wads and didn't have it. so its pick your thing to work on for the last two laps -- work on doing a good field sprint, or work on riding the rest of the race at threshold/tempo at the front...doof chose the latter.

why? cause if you pay to do it, then get something out of it -- and if you give it your shot to get in the money, and then that's gone, well...why *pay* to sit on someone's wheel and talk for another 45 minutes? we're sayin the same thing...drunk...doof just picked a different option....

Argos
02-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Boston,

I kinda agree with and see Doofs point. Not that you two are argueing, per se, but lets look at it like this....

He's missed the move. He could pretend to care what others think of him, keep his game face on, and sit in for what will be a fast training ride and a sprint for 12th....

Or he can do just what he did, and get the most out of the $8 dollar fee.[fictional amount]

I think we've all done the former. It's fun. But the latter is cool, too, and there is nothing wrong with intensity drills that a bunch of people suck off your wheel during. Again, if no one is getting more then 12th, so what, it's a CAT 4.

bostondrunk
02-27-2006, 09:28 AM
drunk -- maybe we're sayin the same thing

after the chase group got caught, doof *did* try sitting in, then tried a solo bridge -- didin't happen, didn't have the power to do it. doof got his *** kicked cause he didn't go with the right move and didn't have the horses to get across the two times he tried. at that point, doof knew it wasn't going to happen -- fired his two best wads and didn't have it. so its pick your thing to work on for the last two laps -- work on doing a good field sprint, or work on riding the rest of the race at threshold/tempo at the front...doof chose the latter.

why? cause if you pay to do it, then get something out of it -- and if you give it your shot to get in the money, and then that's gone, well...why *pay* to sit on someone's wheel and talk for another 45 minutes? we're sayin the same thing...drunk...doof just picked a different option....

I'm assunming you didn't have teammates. Maybe next time try to initiate the break right away yourself? Just to ensure you are at the front of the race all the time?

Dr. Doofus
02-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Again, if no one is getting more then 12th, so what, it's a CAT 4.

word

yep, doof was all alone

what pissed doof off is that he guessed that first-lap move would never work. pickin spots...that's the tough part...doof was watching the guys who powered the wining move the day before...they didn't go, so doof didn't go...and doof and those seven guys were the only ones who did anything to chase for the rest of the race...the guys who went were the same guys the doof went with the day before, when they all got caught...box o chocolates, baby....

Hysbrian
02-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Stuff like that makes me mad. This is why i hate racing in the 3's. As soon as the break gets clear. Everyone is just content to sit up and sprint it out. It like , "oh well, the break went well just race for 8th place." Its like everyone shows up to race, but when they have to put the heat on, their is only a few people who know what to do.

My advice Doof...go back to school, and race collegiate, its 1,000,000 times better than any Cat 3 or 4 race.

Fixed
02-27-2006, 10:11 AM
bro why not race 35+ ? there must be some strong bros in that race cheers :beer:

Redturbo
02-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Doofus you are right, you are never going to win because your head is not right with bike. There are normally about 5-10 guys that can win the race and are racing for the win. Then there are the guys racing for a top 10 and then the rest. Where is your head at? :confused:

turbo

Dr. Doofus
02-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Doofus you are right, you are never going to win because your head is not right with bike. There are normally about 5-10 guys that can win the race and are racing for the win. Then there are the guys racing for a top 10 and then the rest. Where is your head at? :confused:

turbo

top 10

that's why doof tried to bridge to that group

open question to all that race: when you see that your goal is gone in a race, and you gave it your shot, what do *you* choose to do? doof knows what he does -- usually get in conditioning by pulling -- sometimes sitting in to do a good pack sprint....what do you do?

manet
02-27-2006, 11:08 AM
top 10

that's why doof tried to bridge to that group

open question to all that race: when you see that your goal is gone in a race, and you gave it your shot, what do *you* choose to do? doof knows what he does -- usually get in conditioning by pulling -- sometimes sitting in to do a good pack sprint....what do you do?

some morph of what you got there.

nick0137
02-27-2006, 11:10 AM
I do what all us other soft, middle class, not-racing-for-survival types do. Pack. First race of the year on Saturday. Handicap on a closed circuit with a wind on the back side stronger than in the Southern Ocean. Us 3s set off first, then the 2s about half a lap down and then the E/1s just under a lap down. Bridged a teammate over to form a 4 man break off the front of the race and very soon realised that this was far too much far too early in the year. Fell off the back after 3 or 4 laps. By the time the 3s caught me, they'd been caught by the 2s, who had been caught by the E/1s. Went past me into the wind like I was standing still. Bye, bye.... Pulled in, had a cup of tea and some cake. Much better. Now for the handicap next week - do what any sensible fatboy sprinter should have done - sit in, sit in, sit in....

Fixed
02-27-2006, 11:12 AM
bro depends on the day I have stoped gone back to the wife's car and gone home . if I have a teammate in the break them I sit on anyone trying to chase I like doin that .cheers
if it's all gone and I'm in a group I try to stay out of a crash there seem to be a lot of those goin around cheers :beer: