PDA

View Full Version : Tire-Rim questions...

SoCalSteve
02-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi all,

I am having one hell of a time getting a Vittoria Open Corsa tire on a Velocity Fusion rim. My understanding is that Velocity rims are very easy when it comes to mounting tires. Is this only the AeroHeads?

So, my question is: Has anyone had problems mounting Vittoria Open Corsa tires on rims? And secondly (ok, 2 questions), anyone have problems mounting tires on Velocity Fusion rims?

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

Serotta PETE
02-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Yes I have had problems mounting VC tires on the rim for the first time. It takes patience and thumb working to push it on.

Never had a velocity rim and this was just on a Mavic K.

Good luck;

PETE

Smiley
02-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Kevlar beaded tires are the worst !
what you working on the fixee wheels Steve ?

SoCalSteve
02-26-2006, 11:54 AM
This is a wheel set that Eric (Ergott) built for me for my incoming Big Leg Emma. The Jerk informed me that it is built, in Italy and on its way to the U. S. of A. soon. So, thought I'd get a head start on the build.

Who knew what a pain in the @ss these tires are. I guess I am spoiled with using Michelin ProRace2's on every other wheelset I own (quite a few).

I bought these as they have 2 white stripes going down them. This is to match the paint scheme of the BLE. And, I have heard that the Vittoria Open Corsa's are very nice tires.....So, I thought I'd give it whirl.

As for the Fixee, I am buying Dave Thompson's older Schwinn. We just need to work out the shipping logistics. If I like riding it, I may build up a newer one.

Steve

ergott
02-26-2006, 12:02 PM
1 I assume you are using the plastic rim strip (thinner than tape)

2 put a little talcum powder on the inside of the tire.

3 try it without the tube first. Use levers and stretch the tire (no tube to pinch)

4 try swapping tires (You mentions that the front was easier to get on)

Let me know if any of this works.

musgravecycles
02-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Like ergott said, check what rim strip you are using, I've found a huge variance in ease of mounting/removing with different rim strips...

BTW, check into velocity's rim plugs instead of using a strip. The velocity guys convinced me to try them a month or so ago, so far they are great, and as a fringe benefit, tire mounting is much easier...

SoCalSteve
02-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Like ergott said, check what rim strip you are using, I've found a huge variance in ease of mounting/removing with different rim strips...

BTW, check into velocity's rim plugs instead of using a strip. The velocity guys convinced me to try them a month or so ago, so far they are great, and as a fringe benefit, tire mounting is much easier...

I actually have a set of these lying around from a Mike Garcia wheel build....I will give them a shot! Thanks for the great suggestion!!!

Steve