PDA

View Full Version : Water Bottle Vest - WTH

Wilkinson4
07-17-2014, 07:50 AM
While half asleep this morning I saw a rider wear some sort of water bottle vest instead of stuffing his jersey like a duffle bag. Bleary-eyed, I could be mistaken but sure enough…

http://pelotonmagazine.com/goods/new-water-bottle-vest-at-tour-de-france/

http://pelotonmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/water-bottle-vest-carrier-tour-de-france-saxo-bank.gif

Pretty cool but I am going to miss the hump back look. A brilliant idea from Michael Rogers:banana: What's next?

mIKE

peanutgallery
07-17-2014, 08:06 AM
I saw something about this in a tour tech thing. Its smart but odd

How long til rapha gets the Asian pre-teens chained to the tool bench making the epic version? I vote for bedazzled mohair

redir
07-17-2014, 08:39 AM
To be clear that is a domestic, some one who gets fluids and food from the team car to the team in the field. It looks like a good idea to me.

Bruce K
07-17-2014, 08:43 AM
Another interesting thing is that when empty they are either discarded or somehow returned to the team car

BK

tiretrax
07-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Since it has a capacity of five bottles and I saw a guy stuff 9 bottles in his jersey a few years ago, It seems like an elegant non-solution to a non-problem, IMHO, since it will require two trips to get everyone bottles. And, if it's more jetsom on the side of the road, even worse.

Md3000
07-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Bram Tankink doing the water carrier job for Belkin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc5_Y-4bwM4

Zoodles
07-17-2014, 11:47 AM
Since it has a capacity of five bottles and I saw a guy stuff 9 bottles in his jersey a few years ago, It seems like an elegant non-solution to a non-problem, IMHO, since it will require two trips to get everyone bottles. And, if it's more jetsom on the side of the road, even worse.

It is actually a neat solution to a new problem...it carries 4 more bottles up front - way more than one could stuff in a race fit jersey with smaller pockets, enhances safety as dropped bottles are no longer an issue, and eventually goes back to the car to be re-used.

New gear, new problems (and solutions)

FastforaSlowGuy
07-17-2014, 12:13 PM
When the TS team folks were asked about it, they said it has the added benefit of being quicker than loading up a jersey. The job for the domestiques is to get water and hurry back, so the sticky bottle is of limited use. This way they can hand over a pre-loaded vest of bottles and the guy can get back in the bunch.

tiretrax
07-17-2014, 12:15 PM
It is actually a neat solution to a new problem...it carries 4 more bottles up front - way more than one could stuff in a race fit jersey with smaller pockets, enhances safety as dropped bottles are no longer an issue, and eventually goes back to the car to be re-used.

The front was never shown. That makes more sense. However, if it's not getting returned to the car, then it's not such a great idea. Bottles will get dropped regardless.

Idris Icabod
07-17-2014, 12:37 PM
The front was never shown. That makes more sense. However, if it's not getting returned to the car, then it's not such a great idea. Bottles will get dropped regardless.

I would think the guy rolls it up and sticks it in a pocket and passes it back to the car when it is convenient, rather tahn makinga special trip. The teams have deep enough pockets that they probably bought 2!

93legendti
07-17-2014, 12:46 PM
it is actually a neat solution to a new problem...it carries 4 more bottles up front - way more than one could stuff in a race fit jersey with smaller pockets, enhances safety as dropped bottles are no longer an issue, and eventually goes back to the car to be re-used.

+1