PDA

View Full Version : Sportif brakeset

merckx
07-16-2014, 10:22 PM
If you were building a Campagnolo equipped 700c sportif with mudguards and 28c tires, what brakeset would you choose:

1. 47/57 caliper brakes like Gran Crux or some other long reach caliper.
2. Centerpulls like the Paul medium racer.
3. Cantilevers like Paul touring.

If Campy made a long reach caliper, it would be my first choice. I prefer the simplicity of this style of brakeset.

vqdriver
07-16-2014, 10:31 PM
if this is a custom frame, you could entertain the pauls racers, but then you're stuck with that brake (and cable hanger) for the life of the frame. if you're talking about using the pauls with the center bolt adapter thing, i would just get a long reach dual caliper like the gran cru or the newer trp 957, they would match a black or silver campy group nicely.

i didn't like cantis when i had em, and i have no reason to ever consider using them again.

merckx
07-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Cantis were my last choice, but I have considered them because they would allow a front rando rack to fit nicely.

vqdriver
07-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Gotcha
What frame is this?
Others will be more knowledgable about racks and fenders and stuff

Kirk007
07-17-2014, 12:23 AM
Shimano ultegra long reach. Good quality, the combo of the brake release on the campy shifter and the Shimano lever on the brake helps get those 28-30s out for tire changes. I ran these with Campy 10 and 11 setups and the Gods of Cycling let me live with no ill effects.

AngryScientist
07-17-2014, 06:02 AM
my first choice would be long reach caliper brakes. i use canti brakes on both my new moots and my geekhouse, which both see primarily road miles, and once they are set-up correctly, they are excellent. in fact, they are so good that i dont even think about them anymore, they're just there and they stop the bike when i pull the lever, no drama.

merckx
07-17-2014, 06:03 AM
Gotcha
What frame is this?
Others will be more knowledgable about racks and fenders and stuff

No frame yet, just contemplation.

saab2000
07-17-2014, 06:24 AM
This is not a snarky response....

Discs?

The ones I have on my Indy Fab Gravel Royale work very nicely. Just be sure to get 135 spacing in the rear.

Discs are coming hard and fast and they're getting better by the minute it seems.

sandyrs
07-17-2014, 06:50 AM
Long reach. I have the VO Grand Cru's and absolutely love them.

oldpotatoe
07-17-2014, 06:55 AM

Discs?

The ones I have on my Indy Fab Gravel Royale work very nicely. Just be sure to get 135 spacing in the rear.

Discs are coming hard and fast and they're getting better by the minute it seems.

2 steps forward and 3 back...when shimano is actually selling a 105/ultegra/DA group, mechanical, with wet discs, I'll say they are getting close for the road...we'll see at interbike BUT for most, majority of recreational cyclists, who seldom ride in the wet, or dirt or with big descents, in the wet with carbon wheels...calipers are a far better, cheaper, simplier, lighter idea...

For the OP..the shimano mid reach DP calipers are really nice..the Centerpulls are too but gotta have a cable nager of some sort.

commonguy001
07-17-2014, 07:09 AM
I'd go with option #1 and I am pretty sure VO makes a front rando rack that you can use with them.

I'm currently looking at a Rawland Nordavinden and will most likely set it up that same way.

El Chaba
07-17-2014, 07:19 AM
I am being completely serious when I suggest getting a pair of Mafac Competition or 2000 brakes....Change the pads to kool stop salmons. These brakes work very nicely with ergopower levers. If the bike can be dedicated to that format, the brakes will work even better if they are mounted on braze-ons. For the super obsessive, you could take apart the brakes and clean up the edges with a file to round them off a bit and then polish the whole calipers with increasingly fine wet paper for a mirror finish (give them the constructeur treatment).....To repeat the point, you will be shocked at how nicely a set of Mafacs will work with modern pads....

El Chaba
07-17-2014, 07:21 AM
For example:

gomango
07-17-2014, 07:28 AM

Discs?

Hmmm, interesting.

Which discs do you recommend?

merckx
07-17-2014, 07:46 AM
I am being completely serious when I suggest getting a pair of Mafac Competition or 2000 brakes....Change the pads to kool stop salmons. These brakes work very nicely with ergopower levers. If the bike can be dedicated to that format, the brakes will work even better if they are mounted on braze-ons. For the super obsessive, you could take apart the brakes and clean up the edges with a file to round them off a bit and then polish the whole calipers with increasingly fine wet paper for a mirror finish (give them the constructeur treatment).....To repeat the point, you will be shocked at how nicely a set of Mafacs will work with modern pads....

Interesting that you mention two thousands. I also thought of those and then checked ebay. Yikes!

merckx
07-17-2014, 07:48 AM

Discs?

No snark perceived. I'm not sure that I can swallow discs on an elegant sportif machine. Maybe in my next life. Doubt I'll have a choice then.

srenda
07-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Interesting thread, if the frame is built to clear bigger tires, I have got 700x30s to fit under, just barely, Campy Veloce standard (short breaks).

merckx
07-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Interesting thread, if the frame is built to clear bigger tires, I have got 700x30s to fit under, just barely, Campy Veloce standard (short breaks).

But not with mudguards.

srenda
07-17-2014, 09:40 AM
^ fair point.

robin3mj
07-17-2014, 10:17 AM
TRP 957.
They feel very much like Ultegra/Red/Record level short reach brakes, and are available in a few colors to match whatever you're building up.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/980052f1a600e6f62da19bbc3e63601d/tumblr_n7zsva4XP51qg7g9so5_1280.jpg

merckx
07-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Robin, nice option. Thanks.

MerckxMad
07-17-2014, 10:54 AM
I have Gran Cru sidepulls and really like them. I also have Dia Compe centerpulls and like 'em even better with fenders. Sidepulls, regardless of make, tend to hit the front fender when the front arm of the caliper moves toward the rim. Centerpulls stay, well, centered when the calipers are activated.

bobswire
07-17-2014, 10:59 AM
I heard nothing but great things about the Grand Cru,the TRP 957 look nice too. Given me druthers I'd pick the Grand Cru since I've been told they rival my favorite 7800 DA calipers in modulation and stopping power.

http://i60.tinypic.com/5fpz00.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/23vevpe.jpg

donevwil
07-17-2014, 11:09 AM
If 28s with fender is your true max then Shimano, Grand Cru or TRPs as stated previously. I'm using braze-on Paul Racer M which are fantastic, but unless your a heavy weight (like me), really want super-powerful braking capability, or want to clear 32s and fenders, dealing with a straddle wire and centerpull cable are unnecessary.

In my personal experience (others may differ), compared to top-of-the-line short reach dual-pivots (Shimano 7800 & first-gen Campy dual-pivots) the Racer Ms perform similarly with more total power if the yoke is set-up low, the Grand Crus (with OE pads replaced) are not quite as powerful, while the Shimano BR-R600s were noticeably less powerful than the Grand Crus. I have not tried the TRPs.

JAGI410
07-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Another vote for the VO brakes here. I have them on my sportif and have been impressed with them.

vqdriver
07-17-2014, 11:11 AM
They have em in black?!?

merckx
07-17-2014, 11:14 AM
I heard nothing but great things about the Grand Cru,the TRP 957 look nice too. Given me druthers I'd pick the Grand Cru since I've been told they rival my favorite 7800 DA calipers in modulation and stopping power.

http://i60.tinypic.com/5fpz00.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/23vevpe.jpg

Interesting pics. The pad on the Gran Crux is fixed lower in the arm slot than the TRP with the same fork. Both brakes are listed as 57mm max reach. I wonder if the TRP has a little bit more clearance, or maybe the GC a bit less?

eak12
07-17-2014, 11:31 AM
I've thought about a similar setup in terms of clearance for 28-32mm tires and fenders, while trying to keep it all silver alloy Campy, and this seemed like a good idea (though I have not tried it myself):

http://bdopcycling.com/BDop%20Offset%20Holders.asp

Basically, using them with a regular short reach campy brake would mean a max reach of 56mm.

Best of luck to the op with his setup :)

donevwil
07-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Interesting pics. The pad on the Gran Crux is fixed lower in the arm slot than the TRP with the same fork. Both brakes are listed as 57mm max reach. I wonder if the TRP has a little bit more clearance, or maybe the GC a bit less?

I asked that exact question of 'GRAVELBIKE' on V'Salon and he did confirm the TRPs max reach is more like 59mm.

saab2000
07-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Hmmm, interesting.

Which discs do you recommend?

I use the TRP Spyre and am satisfied. They're not very elegant looking, I'll grant that. But they work very well.

No regrets.

There are pics here in various places of that bike. I'll try to post some later.

Anyway, if a caliper brake is more likely, I use a long-reach Shimano on my Hampsten single speed. It works great and is silver, for those who care. It's not Campy, but hey, back when I started riding everything was mixed up anyway.

It's a nice brake.

bobswire
07-17-2014, 11:57 AM

Well they are different rims and brake surface. I often have to adjust my brake pads going to another rim.

merckx
07-17-2014, 12:09 PM
I asked that exact question of 'GRAVELBIKE' on V'Salon and he did confirm the TRPs max reach is more like 59mm.

I think you got to the bottom of it! Thanks.

gomango
07-17-2014, 12:13 PM
I use the TRP Spyre and am satisfied. They're not very elegant looking, I'll grant that. But they work very well.

No regrets.

There are pics here in various places of that bike. I'll try to post some later.

Anyway, if a caliper brake is more likely, I use a long-reach Shimano on my Hampsten single speed. It works great and is silver, for those who care. It's not Campy, but hey, back when I started riding everything was mixed up anyway.

It's a nice brake.

Thank you!

I might have another question down the road, but it might be better to go to pms.

christian
07-17-2014, 12:43 PM
I would use Shimano R600s. I have a spare set I think.

GRAVELBIKE
07-18-2014, 11:38 PM
+1 on the TRP RG957s. Best I've used.