PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going from Centaur to Record 10?

farmallguy
07-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Just picked up a Pegoretti Palosanto with Centaur 10 speed. I really don't like the hoods, they are not comfortable. I don't have much experience with Campy stuff but I would like to stay Italian. Can I just use Record 10 shifters with the Centaur derailuers? Are they pretty comfortable? The Centaur hoods seem very small, the reach for the levers is long, and I don't have big hands.

Thanks

Jack

jtakeda
07-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Centaur 10 to Record 10?

Depending on the year you might be switching to the same shape.

Elefantino
07-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Just picked up a Pegoretti Palosanto with Centaur 10 speed. I really don't like the hoods, they are not comfortable. I don't have much experience with Campy stuff but I would like to stay Italian. Can I just use Record 10 shifters with the Centaur derailuers? Are they pretty comfortable? The Centaur hoods seem very small, the reach for the levers is long, and I don't have big hands.
Best to pick up some Centaur 10 (while they're still available) or Veloce 10 third-generation ergo hoods. If you can find older Centaur Ultrashift in G3, that would be perfect.

ultraman6970
07-16-2014, 08:28 PM
If all 10 speed then you should not have any problems using the centaur stuff with record shifters.

thirdgenbird
07-16-2014, 08:34 PM
As already stated, depending on the year, the ergonomics will be the same.

Unlike shimano, Campagnolo keeps their hood design and ergonomics the same top to bottom. Original 10spd centaur and record 10 have identical (same part number) lever bodies and hoods. When Campagnolo introduced the new hood shape with 11spd, centaur and veloce 10spd bodies changed to match this new design.

Anyway, post a pic, it's all compatible, but we need to know what you have to see what will be different. Depending on the style, there are also inserts to change lever reach.

Admiral Ackbar
07-16-2014, 10:15 PM
felt the same way about my centaur levers until i put some miles on them. seemed too chunky and fat at first but they grew on me

oldpotatoe
07-17-2014, 06:36 AM

Thanks

Jack

Yup, all inter-compatible but how comfy is subjective. I think current gen ERGO are the most 'comfy', but YMMV.

farmallguy
07-17-2014, 06:45 AM
Like I said , I don't have a lot of knowledge of Campy stuff. I do loike the new Athena 11 I have on my Leader Ax so maybe I'll look into a newer generation drivetrain. I do ;like the way the Centaur shifts, being able to move 3 gears each way on one stroke. And being able to trim the front der. I'll keep reading here and learning.

Thanks

Jack

buldogge
07-17-2014, 10:30 AM
You want 2009/2010 Veloce or Centaur Ergos, with the new shape hoods, and Centaur alloy or CF blades..depending on preference.

-Mark in St. Louis

Like I said , I don't have a lot of knowledge of Campy stuff. I do loike the new Athena 11 I have on my Leader Ax so maybe I'll look into a newer generation drivetrain. I do ;like the way the Centaur shifts, being able to move 3 gears each way on one stroke. And being able to trim the front der. I'll keep reading here and learning.

Thanks

Jack

wasfast
07-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Definitely AVOID the current Centaur 10 spd shifters. The move away from Ultrashift in those a few years back meant internals that last about a year. You can purchase Ultrashift bodies for the "new shape" still but not for long (as supplies last).

tiretrax
07-17-2014, 02:28 PM
You want 2009/2010 Veloce or Centaur Ergos, with the new shape hoods, and Centaur alloy or CF blades..depending on preference.

-Mark in St. Louis

I had a pair of the newer style from that time period, and they didn't have a distinct feel for each gear as I shifted. I spent a lot of time reshifting a gear or two on each gear change.

Lewis Moon
07-17-2014, 02:54 PM
I had a pair of the newer style from that time period, and they didn't have a distinct feel for each gear as I shifted. I spent a lot of time reshifting a gear or two on each gear change.

Same here...but I still have them and have no problem. A more distinct indent would be cool, but it's not the deal breaker everyone seems to say it is. The trick is to adapt.
The only thing I'd trade these in for would be a set of V3 11s...but that would mean changing out my drive train (10 to 11). I LOVE the shape of the V3s.

buldogge
07-17-2014, 03:28 PM
Dunno...Never noticed anything enough to bother me.

I do have an annoying "rattle" from the left shift paddle, on one set, when I ride over rough stuff though.

-Mark

Ralph
07-17-2014, 03:38 PM
I've got Centaur 2010 Ultra Shift Levers on one bike, and 2011 Centaur Power Shift on another bike. Like them both. The US has the dump feature, which I never use, and both will upshift 3 gears at a time, which I do use a lot. To me....the Power Shift shifts crisper, and the front down shift is a fast slam and it's done. The Power Shift levers are going on 3 years old, with no problems of any kind. So I don't get the hate for Power Shift. Both work great, and I love the new hoods. Push the buttons and levers, and they both shift....perfect if you have them adjusted right. And I've had all the Campy hoods going back to 1973.

Thinking about going 11 on one bike. Might get Chorus because it's a higher up group than Athena, not because of Ultra Shift VS Power Shift. IMHO the shifting difference is way over played.

zmudshark
07-17-2014, 04:58 PM

Same here...but I still have them and have no problem. A more distinct indent would be cool, but it's not the deal breaker everyone seems to say it is. The trick is to adapt.
The only thing I'd trade these in for would be a set of V3 11s...but that would mean changing out my drive train (10 to 11). I LOVE the shape of the V3s.

I believe that was a running change on Centaur. Peter can tell you for sure, but I believe the light shift version can be changed to the heavy version easily.

I have both and don't mind, and actually prefer, the light touch version, but I just went to Ergos from DT shifters a few years ago, so YMMV.

On top of that, I'm a sensitive sort of guy, just ask my friends. :rolleyes:

oldpotatoe
07-18-2014, 06:59 AM
I believe that was a running change on Centaur. Peter can tell you for sure, but I believe the light shift version can be changed to the heavy version easily.

I have both and don't mind, and actually prefer, the light touch version, but I just went to Ergos from DT shifters a few years ago, so YMMV.

On top of that, I'm a sensitive sort of guy, just ask my friends. :rolleyes:

Campagnolo had some shims to make it 'clickier', but those are scarce now.

Mid 2009 all Ultrashift became clickier..on the advice of none other than Miguel Indurain, who test rode them in 2008..