PDA

View Full Version : Road trip

kohagen
07-16-2014, 12:32 PM
I'm going on a road trip out West, starting in Oregon, passing through Idaho, Utah, Colorado, and ending in New Mexico. I'll be visiting the sacred cities of Portland and Boulder, and I'd like to get opinions as to what places I must see (bike related or not) in those towns, as well as anywhere in between.

Also, does anyone have an opinion as to the relative merits of US 40 versus I 80 between SLC and Rocky Mountain National Park?

Thanks in advance for the input.

lookout2015
07-16-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm going on a road trip out West, starting in Oregon, passing through Idaho, Utah, Colorado, and ending in New Mexico. I'll be visiting the sacred cities of Portland and Boulder, and I'd like to get opinions as to what places I must see (bike related or not) in those towns, as well as anywhere in between.

Also, does anyone have an opinion as to the relative merits of US 40 versus I 80 between SLC and Rocky Mountain National Park?

Thanks in advance for the input.

US-40 is more scenic than I-80

If your route allows time-wise, you could swing down through Moab and Grand Junction / Fruita areas for more biking meccas

And if your route through New Mexico takes you anywhere near Chaco Canyon it's fascinating

MattTuck
07-16-2014, 01:00 PM
If your car has a CD player, I highly recommend you get the audio version of "The Big Burn" and listen to it on your way to Idaho, then stop in Wallace Idaho and take a hike up the Pulaski Tunnel Trail.

This is on Rt 90, so may be north of your intended route. Still, if you're into nature, history and the great outdoors, I think it would be interesting. Even if you don't end up driving to Wallace, I'd read the book.

Schmed
07-16-2014, 01:19 PM
For Boulder...

- Visit Vecchio's bike shop, of course
- Ride Flagstaff mountain - road ride
- Hang out on Pearl Street - shopping, walking, street performers
- Shop at McGuckin hardware - widest variety of any hardware store ever
- Smoke a joint, just so you fit in with the local hippie and hipster crowd (:eek:)
- Hike from Chautauqua park and admire the Flatirons
- Go a a concert at the Fox Theater
- Go tubing in Boulder Creek
- Tour any number of microbreweries

If you stop in Golden...

- Ride Lookout Mountain - another road ride and finishing stage of USA Pro Challenge
- Tour Coors (if short on time, just ask for the "short tour" and go right to the bar
- Visit any one of our 4 coffee shops, bike shops, or microbreweries
- Go tubing in Clear Creek
- Mountain bike Centennial Cone - nice 12 mile loop
- See a concert at Red Rocks

peanutgallery
07-16-2014, 01:36 PM
what if Kohagen isn't driving a tdi or a Subaru:)

have fun

Schmed
07-16-2014, 01:37 PM
what if Kohagen isn't driving a tdi or a Subaru:)

have fun

They hand you a Subaru or Prius at the border of Boulder county as you arrive. I'd get a start on growing dreadlocks now.

Birddog
07-16-2014, 01:46 PM
In NM, drive the "High Road" from Taos to Santa Fe. I25 is a bore and 285 isn't much better.

Cameron
07-16-2014, 01:54 PM
You could easily fill up your time in Portland with just bike stuff. Tons of great bike shops here and lots of framebuilders too. Lots of bike trails to ride, etc.

For non bike stuff in Portland it's worth seeing:

Japanese Garden in Washington Park
Visit the Rose Test Garden too if you go up to Washington Park
Lan Su Chinese garden in Old Town
Eastside esplanade makes for a nice stroll on the water with a nice view of downtown
Go hiking out in the Columbia River Gorge and stop in and spend some time in Hood River while you're out there
If you want to do some hiking closer, there's plenty of nice trails and areas in Portland. Notably Forest Park.
BEER. If you like beer drink lots of it while you're here from as many different breweries as you can. My favorites include Bridgeport, Hair of the Dog, HUB and Loowit across the river in downtown Vancouver
Coffee too if you like coffee. Stumptown is the best of the best in my opinion

Any specific Portland area things you're curious about and want opinions on from a local?

MadRocketSci
07-16-2014, 02:09 PM
right by Vecchio's, stop by Cured, Will Frischkorn's (former Garmin rider) cheese/charcuterie/shared space with a nice cafe. Sample cheese, meats, and olive oil including Andy's. then mosey across the street and have the most authentic margherita pizza this side of Napoli at Pizzeria Locale.

head west down Pearl St. to u-bikes (university bicycles) and check out Andy's 7-11 Landshark/Merckx.

p nut
07-16-2014, 02:15 PM
If you have not visited the parks in Utah, I think it's a must see. Zion's, Bryce Canyon, Arches--all top notch. Pretty hot this time of year, so bring lots of water if you go hiking. If you're into mountain biking, Moab/Fruita/St. George are all great.